Putting Corpses in the Bag of Holding

Did you ever put a corpse (friend or foe) in a Bag of Holding

• Yes, but only once or twice

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • No, never thought of it

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • Yes, all the time

Votes: 63 40.4%
  • Yes, we have a specific bag JUST FOR that reason!

Votes: 11 7.1%

Olfactatron

Explorer
We use a portable hole for this. Basically after combat, but before our spells wear off, we kick all the bodies into the hole and get ready for the next combat. When the casters are out of spells we evac and sit down with the wand of identify and check everything out.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Well, he wasn't a corpse when he went in the bag, but... :lol:

The first Dark Sun campaign I played in we hooked up with a Thri-Kreen NPC scientist who had an entire laboratory in his portable hole. When one of the PC's got too sick to travel, he spent almost two weeks in the bag. When he came out, he was undead.

And that's when we figured out what the "sickness" really was.

Nikroecyst

First Post
I voted no, but not becuase we never thought of it. Just never got around to it. I once designed a Necromancer who kept all his "spare parts" in a bag of holding so it wouldn't creep out/disgust his allies.

When I start up a new group or new game I always give them a free bag of holding(smallest) at the start of the game. I can't believe that no one in any of my groups has actually gotten around to putting a dead ally into it yet. Or a live one for that matter. I think mostly people are afraid that if they jump in all thier allies will tie it shut and leave them in it till they die. I know I wouldn't jump in one volentarily for that reason.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Sure. Stuff goes in the bag whenever it is too heavy or bulky to conveniently carry, and a corpse definitely fits that definition. When your friend has died and you aren't prepared to raise him on the spot, what else are you going to do? Lug him around by the ankle?

We don't usually keep enemies' corpses in there because we don't need to get them raised, so we tend to behead the bodies and leave them for the scavengers. I think the only time we stuffed an enemy in the bag was when we finally offed a major recurring annoyance in RttTOEE, and even that wasn't technically a corpse anymore. (When we finally ambushed and killed
Hedrack
, my warlock turned him into a zombie, and kept him in the bag as a kind of pet. We stuck him in a maid's uniform and made him do any job that was too disgusting for the rest of us-- like searching for treasure in the intestines of large monsters.)

Peni Griffin

First Post
Back in the "good ole days" when everyone was a munchkin, we didn't have to use bags because somebody in the party would have a portable hole. For some reason, portable holes become much less common once emphasis shifts to storytelling and character play, so I've been in situations in which it was necessary to dump treasure in order to carry the corpse in the bag. I'm proud to say that I've never run in a group that had a problem with that, which is not to say no tears were ever shed about the loss of cash.

The weirdest bag of holding use, however, didn't involve dead people. In a 2nd edition game set in Waterdeep, the party included nobles who were also doing a lot of "mundane" business to finance their lifestyles and maintain their family reps. Garnet Stormweather had business in the Arabian analog worth Teleporting to do and her friend Denys Hawkwinter wanted to sell some horses there, so we Polymorphed the horses into canaries, put them into a cage, and carried them there in the bag of holding. I think the party itself couldn't quite fit the weight limit, so we put the halfing into the bag, too.

Remove ads