• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q'nidar

dhaga

First Post
Converted from 2e Spelljammer compendium:

Q’nidar
Type: Large Magical Beast (Fire)
Hit Dice: 6d10 + 18 (51 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Fly 40 ft. (Average)
AC: 18 (-1 Size, +1 Dex, +8 Natural)
Attacks: Bite +10 melee
Damage: Bite 1d8+4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 10 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Extinguish Fire, Breath Weapon, Scream
Special Qualities: Fire Subtype
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills: Spot +7, Listen +6
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Climate/Terrain: Warm land
Organization: Solitary or Pack (1-6)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 9-11 HD (Large), 12-15 HD (Huge)

Q’nidar are batlike creatures that frequent warm areas. They look like large bats with semi-crystalline hides. They feed on the heat and light given off by fire. As they fly about, they give off sparks of light, which leave glowing patterns in the air around them.
Q’nidar speak their own language, using their thermal breath, which is easily interpreted by others of their kind, but is difficult for others unless they have the ability to see thermal patterns.

Q’nidar are extremely curious, especially about things that give off light (which could mean food for them). They are not purposefully destructive, but their curiosity has caused more than a few fires in the past. When they get excited, they sometimes breathe their cone of fire, much to the dismay of those nearby.

Breath Weapon (Su): A q’nidar can use its breath weapon once every 2 rounds: Cone of Fire, 30 ft. long, 5d6 damage. Reflex save DC 16 for half damage.

Extinguish Flame (Ex): When a q’nidar feeds on the heat and light from a fire, that fire will diminish in size until it is extinguished. Small sized and smaller fires are extinguished in 1 round. For larger fires, it requires 1 extra round per size category of the fire to extinguish it (ex: a large bonfire would last for 3 rounds before it became extinguished, while a medium-sized fire would only last for 2 rounds).

Scream (Su): If disturbed while feeding, a q’nidar will scream at the disturbing party.
This is a sonic attack. All those within 30 ft. (except other q’nidar) who fail a Fort save (DC 16) take 3d6 points of sonic damage and are deafened for 1d6 minutes. Those who succeed at the Fort save take half damage and are not deafened, but they are not immune to the scream, and must save again if another scream is used. Those deafened by the scream are effectively immune until the deafness wears off or is cured. The q’nidar will continue to scream at the disturbances until they move away, also using its breath weapon if necessary.

Fire Subtype: Q’nidar are immune to fire, but are vulnerable to cold. If a save is allowed for a cold-based attack, q’nidar suffer half damage on a successful save and double damage on a failed save.

Last edited:

pyrobob

First Post
lookin good! uh a quick look sez hp should be 51. also, you might want to change the breath weapon ability to like fire breath or something more flavorful. or not :p fresh spelljammer monsters are always good!

dhaga

First Post
hp fixed. Rest look good?

Also, how is the (-- hp) calculated? I usually end up just taking 1/2 of the possible maximum and throwing it in there. I hardly ever use the (-- hp); I prefer to roll all of my creatures individually when I am planning encounters.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hp is quite simple, really. it is:
(#HD * X) + (#HD * Con mod)
where X is the following:
3.5 for d6
4.5 for d8
5.5 for d10
6.5 for d12

so, if i have a magical beast (d10) with 6 HD and a Constitution of 16, it breaks down as:
(6 * 5.5) + (6 * 3)
or 6d10+18 (51 hp)
:)

you're right about one thing though; that is only an average. the best thing to do is roll up each critter's hp before an enounter - the # in the parenthesis is for DMs who care not to bother with such things. ;)

dhaga

First Post
Thanks again, BOZ. I'll have to go back and fix the (-- hp) entry for all my conversions, for those DMs who care not to bother :)

Remove ads