• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about powers with damage in 2 parts

Davachido

Explorer
Let us take the power Booming blade for my question, the power states that:

Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution modifier thunder damage.

My question is a slightly dumb one but I can't seem to find anywhere that truly confirms in my mind if I'm doing this right or not. Anyway question is does the damage from weapon modifier (in this case since its a weapon attack) apply twice? Once for the initial damage and once for the secondary damage if it triggers?

For example if the swordmage had a combined additional modifier (enc/feat/item) of +4, a int mod of +6 and a con mod of +3 would the damage of this attack be:

1[W] + 10 damage, and 1d6 + 7

OR

1[W] + 10 damage, and 1d6 + 3

I have always assumed since its a weapon power it would be the top one since the damage of the second effect is being modified by the weapon modifiers as well. Although recently I became unsure since I couldn't find a confirmation on the ruling.

Swordmage powers use swords as both weapons and implements, so just because it's not doing some multiple of [w] doesn't mean it shouldn't benefit from the sword's enhancement bonus.

I say #1.

HenryBlatbugIII

First Post
It seems pretty clear to me that a magical weapon or implement applies to all damage rolls with a power:
Player's Handbook said:
If you have ... an enhancement bonus to your attack rolls and damage rolls from a magic weapon or an implement, you add that bonus when you use a power that has the associated keyword.
Player's Handbook said:
Some powers add modifiers to attack rolls or damage rolls. These modifiers apply to any roll of the dice...
Player's Handbook said:
A magic weapon adds an enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls, so a +3 flameburst longbow adds +3 to all attack rolls and damage rolls made with the bow.
(emphasis mine)

Zaran

Adventurer
The fluff says it's a field of sound that damages the foe and not the weapon. I still have to say it would only be 1d6+con mod.

rayous

First Post
the players handbook 2 faq, found here: Answer

states that "Yes, each time you for roll damage with an implement power you add your enhancement bonus." in response regarding a question about secondary damage with a sorcerer spell. One should be safe to assume the rules stay the same for weapon attacks that deal secondary damage.

I say #1

Davachido

Explorer
The fluff says it's a field of sound that damages the foe and not the weapon. I still have to say it would only be 1d6+con mod.

If we argue fluff though you could say that the weapon is the swordmage's focus for creating the field of sound thus it becomes an implement attack.

the players handbook 2 faq, found here: Answer

states that "Yes, each time you for roll damage with an implement power you add your enhancement bonus." in response regarding a question about secondary damage with a sorcerer spell. One should be safe to assume the rules stay the same for weapon attacks that deal secondary damage.

I say #1

That indeed does help, and I'm guessing damage bonuses only get added on damage rolls as opposed to static damage? So if a sorcerer spell had something that had something like:

Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier acid damage, and the target takes acid damage equal to your Strength modifier at the start of its next turn.

(With Str and Cha mod of +4 and additional bonuses +4)

2d10 + 8 damage, secondary effect: 4 damage

Am I reading that correctly?

Nichwee

First Post
That indeed does help, and I'm guessing damage bonuses only get added on damage rolls as opposed to static damage? So if a sorcerer spell had something that had something like:

Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier acid damage, and the target takes acid damage equal to your Strength modifier at the start of its next turn.

(With Str and Cha mod of +4 and additional bonuses +4)

2d10 + 8 damage, secondary effect: 4 damage

Am I reading that correctly?

Yes.
Most (if not all) damage bonuses add to any damage roll caused by a power with the Weapon/Implement keyword.
Some things add extra damage that is conditional on other things and then they add to any damage (even none) each time the conditions are met. Thus, Quarry Damage can be done when you hit with a power that does no damage (if you hit your quarry and haven't dealt Quarry Damage yet this turn) but it wouldn't get any bonus damage in this case as the power (which would have the keywords) didn't produce a damage roll.

Remove ads