question about spell immunity

moritheil

First Post
Shariell said:
I've contacted the wizard of the coast Customer support, and the reply I recieved state that spell immunity FAILS to protect against spell of level higher than 4th, no matter if it's a heightened spell or if it's in a different level in another spell list.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Zephreum H.) 08/07/2005 12:20 PM
Thank you for contacting us.

It is based on the Spell level not the name. So the same spell cast from a class that has it at a higher level, say...5th, will not be subject to the immunity.

Since spell-like abilities don't have a level placed onto them, they will be subject to the immunity.

Yes a 5th level version of Enervation will bypass the immunity as it is above 4th level.
Actually since the spell is now a higher level than 4 you will not be immune to it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this can help to clarify
Shariell

That doesn't clarify anything, as this board is rife with examples of WOTC help being dead wrong. Still, at least we know where they stand.

Shariell

First Post
Personally, I think your interpretation reflect the original intent of the author of the spell.
Really, I think this too in a first glance, but later I have some doubt, thus I've started this thread.

But I also see the point of the "magical chaos" that the new supplements have bring to us.
With all the special spell-list of the various prestige classes, the new cleircal domains...is not that difficult go around the 4th level rule to assign the spell immunity, and (maybe) add-in some higher level spell via PrC or Domain.
I think the position taked by Wizard of the Coast can reflect this.

moritheil

First Post
Shariell said:
Personally, I think your interpretation reflect the original intent of the author of the spell.
Really, I think this too in a first glance, but later I have some doubt, thus I've started this thread.

But I also see the point of the "magical chaos" that the new supplements have bring to us.
With all the special spell-list of the various prestige classes, the new cleircal domains...is not that difficult go around the 4th level rule to assign the spell immunity, and (maybe) add-in some higher level spell via PrC or Domain.
I think the position taked by Wizard of the Coast can reflect this.

I think that English is probably not your first language. :D

Let me see if I understand you correctly: Due to balance reasons, WOTC perverted the original intent of the spell into something level-dependent. Is that right?

Remove ads