• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question concerning AE spells

Thasmodious

First Post
Just a quick one. One attack roll for an area effect, with the same result applied to all in the area or separate rolls for each target in the area?

malcolm_n

Adventurer
DeusExMachina said:
Seperate rolls to diminish the swing effect of a natural 1 or 20 on such rolls...

This and one damage roll before rolling to attack any targets (speeds play up to know what damage applies as you roll; especially for miss effects).

Sojorn

First Post
malcolm_n said:
This and one damage roll before rolling to attack any targets (speeds play up to know what damage applies as you roll; especially for miss effects).
Oh, wow. That makes perfect sense. I was thinking it was one damage roll for each target and that's where most of the extra time would come from since the attack rolls themselves are comparable to 3e saves.

That One Guy

First Post
Soo... another question on AE spells.

I think a monster big enough to be hit by an area of effect spell twice would get two attack rolls against it, right?

Starbuck_II

First Post
That One Guy said:

I think a monster big enough to be hit by an area of effect spell twice would get two attack rolls against it, right?
That wasn't even the case in 3.5: why would that rule change?

parcival42

First Post
That One Guy said:

No, just one. Each target takes damage from an area of effect only once, not once for each square they occupy of that area.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads