• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quintessential but obscure 80s movies...?

S. Baldrick

Explorer
Dingleberry said:
But the billing would have to actually be:

BUCKAROO BANZAI and the HONG KONG CAVALIERS
PUPPET SHOW
SPINAL TAP

Yeah, but would the pod open?
And I have to assume that Spinal Tap playing "Stonehenge" would be out of the question.

qstor

Adventurer
buzzard said:
I've always had a great fondness for Red Dawn myself. I even have the DVD. How much more 80s can you get?

buzzard

I was going to say that one too. Great choice.

48 Hours and Back to the Future too.

Mike

Darthjaye

First Post
A lot of the films mentioned on this page are not obscure though by any means. I'm sure we could find more "less well known" movies out there folks.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, maybe not too obscure, but since people were having so much fun naming them...

Anyway, a good example of what I was looking for was Vamp which I just got from Netflix today. It's sort of a comedy-horror movie starring the guy from Meatballs as a college student.

I really love the 80-ish lighting in it. Everything is sort of pastel, and there is green and violet lighting everywhere.

Also interesting, is that it features the sort of vampiric servant that has to drink the blood of a vampire, but isn't actually a vampire (Familiar or Ghoul they are sometimes called). Which is common in later vampire movies/TV shows, but I don't remember seeing it in earlier ones.

Goodsport

Explorer
The Gods Must Be Crazy (Parts 1 and 2)

UHF

Die Hard

Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Big Top Pee Wee

Transylvania 6-5000 (still the worst movie I've ever seen - and yes, I have seen Plan 9 From Outer Space)

I'm sure others will come to mind soon. ;)

Mad Hatter

First Post
Blade Runner

The Wraith

Poltergeist

Tron

People, how has Blade Runner and Tron gone unmentioned for so long? I'd have submitted Logan's Run but that's a 70s movie...watch it anyways. :D

horacethegrey

First Post
ROADHOUSE!

roadhouse.jpg

Granted, I've never seen it. But everyone seems to mention it whenever one wants a definitive example of 80's cheese.

BTW, nice to see this place back up. From the looks of things though it seems like the site has been back for quite awhile now. When did Enworld get back online?

Remove ads