R2: Rats in a Maze [Manzanita judging]

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 51-60

Old 04-13-06, 08:46 AM #51
wmasters

"It is good to be here at last!" Metrius says as they reach the city. "Grateful as I am for the ride, there is definitely such a thing as too long in a caravan."

Metrius considers the points Fimble raises. "A good point, it might well be worth a little discretion. Perhaps we should go shopping at the market and see how many people are coming and going from the building. If they've got a fair few visitors anyway then I doubt we will raise any suspicions."

Old 04-13-06, 08:57 AM #52
Heckler

"You boys want to go shopping?! Now that's some undercover work I know I can handle. Let's go."

Babette will drag the guys along while she browses through the various vendors, heading towards the Council building. If she can find someone selling scarves or hats or some such thing, she'll make a big fuss about trying on various items, giving the guys a chance to check out the building.

Old 04-13-06, 05:32 PM #53
HugeOgre

Kith had originally been a bit annoyed by the immediate talk of shopping, but once the true intent was made evident he couldn’t help but feel foolish. It was a great idea obviously, and he spent much of the time belaboring himself about being so quick to judge. Doubting that he could be convincing as an actor he actually threw himself into the shopping, leaving the scouting to the others.

ooc: spot and listen checks were 9 and 11 (and I have a +8 modifier) so I’m guessing Kith really DID throw himself into the buying mode, or was too hung up on belaboring himself.

Old 04-14-06, 02:01 AM #54
Dungannon

The adventurers make their way down First Street to the Market. There they explore the various stands and shops, awed by the variety of things, and people, on display. They find themselves so absorbed by the experience that none of them is able to adequately reconnoiter the Council House. Nor do any of them spy anything out of the ordinary among the other patrons in the Market.

ooc: You can get a general picture of Ravensdale, as well as some "general knowledge" background info, here. The information posted there is the same as if you made a DC 10 Gather Info or Knowledge (local) check. Not much of the Council House can be seen from inside the Market.

Old 04-14-06, 05:27 AM #55
Rae ArdGaoth

Fimbus is a sucker for trinkets and foreign oddities, of which there is no shortage of in the market. He has an easy time blending in with the real shoppers, actually enjoying watching Babette try on various accessories and maybe throwing on a wild hat or two himself for laughs. But he doesn't lose sight of their goal. After a little while of moving back and forth along the edge of the Market Circle, he says quietly, "I can't seem to get a good look at the building from here. Maybe one or two of us should go in at a time. If you can, maybe you should all try to hide anything that would bring you too much attention." He takes a bit of his own advice and flips his blue cape around, so the bland gray inside shows. "Will that be alright, then? We'll go in, two by two. Babette, my lady, if you would?" If the others agree, he takes Babette's arm in his small hand and walks casually to the Council House.

Old 04-14-06, 06:49 AM #56
Heckler

"Certainly, Fimble, I'd be delighted;" Babette says, letting Fimble lead the way.

Old 04-14-06, 07:14 AM #57
wmasters

"OK, Kith and I will see you in there," says Metrius.

Keeping an eye out for anyone watching the council house, or Fimble and Babette entering, Metrius heads over to one of the market stands.

"I'll have a small amount of that and... oh, can I try this one?" he says, pointing at some of the cheeses on offer.

Making a bit of a fuss buying a nice lunch for the following few days, he lets the pair get into the council house, and to gives enough time that it does not look like he's following them in before heading over to join them inside.

Old 04-14-06, 03:20 PM #58
HugeOgre

Kith had dutifully waited while the others crossed the street and headed into their destination. Now, he followed Metrius to their destination.

Old 04-14-06, 04:59 PM #59
Dungannon

ooc: The Market carries pretty much every mundane non-weapon item listed in the SRD. Weapons and armor are sold in stores elsewhere in the city. if you actually buy something, please remember to update your character sheet. Update coming later.

Old 04-15-06, 12:36 AM #60
Dungannon

Over the next several minutes, the four of you make your separate ways to the Council House. None of you notice anything out of the ordinary on your walks. You soon find yourselves regrouped inside the foyer of the Council House. The lobby is large, easily 100 feet wide and 50 feet deep. Staircases leading to the second floor are located in the far corners. In the middle of the far wall is a large counter, behind which sits a severely attired woman, a serious expression on her face. Several doors lead off the three interior walls.

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 61-70

Old 04-15-06, 07:26 AM #61
Heckler

Babette will approach the serious woman.

"Hello, Ma'am. I'm Babette, and this is Kith, Fimble and Metrius. We're looking for Ms. LeCroix, she should be expecting us."

Old 04-15-06, 06:14 PM #62
Dungannon

The receptionist looks up at Babette, pausing a moment before answering. "Ah, yes, her 'new hires'." She looks at a waterclock sitting on the counter, "I'm sorry, but Ms. LeCroix has left for the day. She really expected you a little earlier." The receptionist looks down and shuffles some papers around before laying a piece of parchment and a scroll on the counter in front of Babette. "Arrangements have been made for you to stay at the Wishing Well Inn, give this scroll to the proprietor. This is a map showing you how to get to the inn. Ms. LeCroix expects you back here one hour after daybreak. Please try to be on time."

Without waiting for a response from Babette, the receptionist turns away from her and walks down the counter to talk to another individual.

Old 04-15-06, 10:12 PM #63
wmasters

Metrius looks at the group, eyebrows raised. "Well, to the inn, I guess. It'll be nice to sleep in a proper bed again, I must admit. I've got no plans until we've met with Ms. LeCroix and the others, certainly."

Old 04-16-06, 01:29 AM #64
HugeOgre

"Indeed, it does appear our delays in the market have cost us the opportunity to advance our search, at least for the day." Kith responds, turning to look past the rest of the party and towards the door they entered only moments ago.

Old 04-16-06, 01:54 AM #65
Dungannon

The group makes their way through the streets to the Wishing Well Inn. The sun is setting and the streets aren't nearly as crowded as they were when they arrived in town. After about 20 minutes you find yourself standing in front of the inn. It's a small, well-appointed building located on the southern side of First Street, just east of the Market.

[sblock=Tor & Gideon: ]Your meeting with Simone earlier today was short and to the point, mainly since the newcomers didn't show up. You've been asked to return to the Council House in the morning. You find yourself sitting in the dining room of the Wishing Well, relaxing for the evening before retiring to your rooms.[/sblock]

Old 04-16-06, 04:59 AM #66
Heckler

"I suppose we should get some dinner and a good night's sleep. We don't want to be late tomorrow." Babette will walk up to the bar and ask for the proprietor, handing him the parchment.

ooc: I didn't realize it was so late in the day, or that we spent so much time shopping. I guess I should have read the description better.

Old 04-16-06, 06:29 AM #67
Patlin

One of the patrons of the wishing well stands out a bit as you walk in, both due to his size and due to his jovial manner. He is engaged in a boisterous conversation with his tablemate, and is gesticulating enthusiastically as he talks.

The man is about 6 feet tall, and has unusually coppery skin and red hair. He's wearing studded leather armor, and has a spiked chain wrapped around his back and shoulders. From beneath the chain, an eye on the man's back seems to look you over. Possibly a tattoo of some kind?

Old 04-16-06, 03:26 PM #68
Rae ArdGaoth

Once the formalities are settled with the innkeeper, Fimble leans in to Babette and, eyeing the red haired man, whispers, "That's an awfully spiky fellow, over there... Looks nice enough, though."

Fimble seats himself at one a table with at least six chairs. His head barely peeks over the table. Coughing loudly, he says, "Ahem! Eh, might I be able to get a larger chair, please? Thank you." As soon as the other three are settled in, he starts to chat.

"Well! I don't know about you folks, but it bothers me just a little that Ms. Lecroix was so impatient. Not good for business, not at all. We're up against a serious threat here, are we not? A thief's guild. The sort of people known for stealing, poisoning, killing, you know, thieves. She surely could've granted us a short while to get our bearings and avoid detection, I think." The chatty little gnome takes a breath. “And now we have yet to meet our other two companions. One would think that she would have us all sleep in the same inn, so we could get to know each other, plan our investigation, and all that, no? But I suppose she just has to get home and make dinner. Or likely have her servant make dinner. She does work at the Council House after all. I know in Fallon we had more than enough selfish, rich councilmen, and few councilwomen, too. Though the council was rather large, really more of a gathering of representatives than a council, if you know what I mean." He continues talking about pretty much nothing, probably until interrupted or at least until some food arrives.

Old 04-16-06, 03:47 PM #69
HugeOgre

Kith leaned in to the table and lowered his voice as he turned directly to Fimble.

"I would very much like it Mr. Finius" Kith began "If you would refrain from talking quite so loudly or publicly about the nature of our visit. Our employer was quite specific about the need for discretion, was she not?"

Old 04-16-06, 04:54 PM #70
Dungannon

[sblock=Tor & Gideon: ]Both of you overhear Fimble's diatribe.
ooc: Tor Listen check = 24, Gideon Listen check = 16[/sblock]

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 71-80

Old 04-16-06, 07:09 PM #71
Patlin

"Gideon, my friend," Tor says in a quieter voice, "by the sound of it that little fellow is the one that kept us sitting around waiting half the afternoon, to no good end. And I think his notion of secrecy and security may be a bit lacking."

Tor scans the room, looking for any who might be taking interest in this talk of a thieves guild.

Old 04-16-06, 10:05 PM #72
wmasters

Hungrily eating dinner, Metrius looks at his companions. "Quite right, Kith - we should not discuss such matters in such a public place. Dinner and an early night are in order I think. I am sure things will be settled in the morning."

Old 04-17-06, 03:14 AM #73
HugeOgre

"Does anyone have a parchment?" Kith asks as he licks his elven lips nervously. Casually he scans the room, looking for anyone who might have taken an interest in their conversation, or overheard what the wizard had said.

Old 04-17-06, 04:47 AM #74
Heckler

Babette laughs, trying to cover up the gnome's lack of discretion; "Oh, you gnomes and your jokes. But seriously, we need to decide what kind of merchandise we're going to take back home. I would suggest goats, they're surprisingly easy to take care of, they can be milked, ..." and she will continue on singing the praises of goats in the hopes of dissuading any eavesdroppers (unless, of course, they have a thing for goats).

In response to Kith; "Sure, I've got some." She'll rummage around in her backpack briefly and produce pen, paper and ink.

Then, back to distraction mode; "Although, sheep may not be a bad idea either..."

ooc: if needed; profession (farmer) +4, bluff (untrained) +3

Old 04-18-06, 12:22 AM #75
IcyCool

Seated at the table with the coppery skinned man is another man. Though they are roughly the same height, the difference in appearance and mannerism is striking. This individual is pale complexioned, with gold-brown eyes and a fiery mane of red hair. He holds himself with a haughty air, though he seems to be unaware of it. His worn breastplate, scarred wooden shield, and hard look show that he's no stranger to the road, or a fight. In a backslung scabbard he carries a large bastard sword. Its pommel sports a snarling dragon head, poised to devour the blade. Draped across his back and almost looking out of place is a clean, brilliant red cloak.

He listens quietly to his companion's conversation and the slight grin on his face looks a little out of place.

Patlin said:
"Gideon, my friend," Tor says in a quieter voice, "by the sound of it that little fellow is the one that kept us sitting around waiting half the afternoon, to no good end. And I think his notion of secrecy and security may be a bit lacking."

Tor scans the room, looking for any who might be taking interest in this talk of a thieves guild.
"Indeed." Gideon replies, glancing around the room before his stern gaze settles upon the gnome.

HugeOgre said:
"Does anyone have a parchment?" Kith asks as he licks his elven lips nervously. Casually he scans the room, looking for anyone who might have taken an interest in their conversation, or overheard what the wizard had said.
It is likely that Kith will see Gideon scowling at the back of the gnome's head. Unless, of course, Kith is blind.

OOC: Sorry Rae ArdGaoth, Gideon just isn't a nice person to folks he doesn't know, and even then he's a bit cold. I just didn't want you to feel you were being picked on.

Also, Patlin, Tor will likely notice that Gideon has traded his crossbow and leather armor in for Breastplate and shield. If asked about his more martial bent, his reply is simply, "It is time my enemies felt the bite of my father's twice-forged blade. I just hope that they prove themselves worthy of it."

Old 04-18-06, 03:26 AM #76
Dungannon

Kith looks around after admonishing the gnome, immediately spotting the two warriors sitting a couple of tables away. The pale skinned one is staring daggers at the gnome while sharing a quiet conversation with his companion.

Old 04-18-06, 05:27 AM #77
Patlin

"Perhaps we should introduce ourselves?" Tor says, thinking out loud.

ooc: Tor would have met Gideon's new choice in armor with approval, and mostly would have commented that he also intended to get some "real" armor as soon as possible. He's saving toward some fancy equipment, at the moment though, and is keeping his gold unspent for now.

Old 04-18-06, 04:54 PM #78
IcyCool

Patlin said:
"Perhaps we should introduce ourselves?" Tor says, thinking out loud.
"That sounds like a good idea, it's best if we get to know who we are going to be working with as soon as possible." Gideon stands, and starts to make his way over to the other table.

Old 04-19-06, 10:48 PM #79
Dungannon

As Kith continues to watch, the man staring at Fimble stands and begins to make his way over to the table.

Old 04-20-06, 01:16 AM #80
HugeOgre

"It would seem like we are about to have company." Kith announced quietly to the rest of the group at the table. "I do hope they are the right kind." Under the table, Kith tensed his fists, ready to attack if the group should become violent.

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 81-90

Old 04-20-06, 02:21 AM #81
Patlin

Following Gideon, Tor gives a friendly smile.

"My name is Tor, son of Ariathus. Are you the fellows who were supposed to meet up with us earlier?"

Old 04-20-06, 07:48 AM #82
Heckler

Patlin said:
Following Gideon, Tor gives a friendly smile.

"My name is Tor, son of Ariathus. Are you the fellows who were supposed to meet up with us earlier?"
Fellows?! Why I ought to...let it drop. The way this jobs starting off we don't need any more people cheesed off at us than likely already are. Now, these guys either are the people we're supposed to meet up with, if which is the case we should take this opportunity to talk and make nice with them; or they're not our contacts, in which case we should talk and find out who they are.

Babette returns Tor's smile. "Nice to meet you, Tor. I'm Babette Delacroix. We were supposed to meet someone, but our paths didn't cross. Why don't you and your friend join us and tell us about yourselves."

ooc:
Dungannon, just out of curiosity, does Babs get a room to herself or does she have to share with one of the boys.

Old 04-20-06, 08:43 AM #83
wmasters

Metrius looks up at Tor with a warm smile.

"Tor, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Metrius Pinch. Please, join us for a drink. Might I ask the name of your friend?"

Metrius will look over Tor and Gideon, to see if they match the description Joe gave him when he asked about them at the Red Dragon Inn.

Babette:
If you'd be sharing a room, Metrius will volunteer to either getting cozy in one of the other rooms or renting another room altogether, to allow Babette a room to herself.

Old 04-20-06, 03:32 PM #84
HugeOgre

Kith continued to sit ready, saying nothing as his table mates introduced themselves to the newcomers. Instead, he found himself continuing to watch the tavern to see if anyone might be taking an unusual interest in them or the new arrivals.

Old 04-20-06, 04:56 PM #85
IcyCool

Gideon looks the group over and in response to the queries he says, "I am Gideon Redcloak." He takes a seat at the table, and quietly runs his gaze over the others seated at the table.

Old 04-20-06, 06:51 PM #86
wmasters

Hearing the pair's names, and seeing as their description matches that given to him by Joe, Metrius opens up a little.

"Ah, Ms. LeCroix spoke of you both. We were indeed meant to meet you earlier; it is unfortunate that we were delayed a little. I understand that you may have a little more background on the situation here, although this may be neither the time nor place to discuss it."

Old 04-20-06, 06:55 PM #87
Heckler

"Well met, Gideon. How are ..." she trails off as she and Metrius start talking at the same time.

Old 04-20-06, 10:17 PM #88
Dungannon

ooc: I'll let you guys roleplay your own introductions here, so don't expect much from me until you all decide to call it a night and head to your rooms.

[sblock=Heckler: ]Yes, Babette will receive a room to herself. Unless, that is, she wants to share with someone.[/sblock]

Old 04-20-06, 10:34 PM #89
Patlin

wmasters said:
"I understand that you may have a little more background on the situation here, although this may be neither the time nor place to discuss it."
"Yes, let's not discuss any private details for the moment, there will be enough time to do that when we have the briefing tomorrow. Were you all recruited at the Red Dragon Inn? How are things in Orussus?"

Old 04-20-06, 10:46 PM #90
Patlin

Heckler said:
Fellows?! Why I ought to...let it drop.
[sblock=ooc: ]I'm thinking Tor was using meaning 2 or possibly 3(a), rather than specifying a gender... as in "fellow adventurers" or "fellow travelers." Any reference to gender was purely accidental.

fel7low (fl)
n.
a. A man or boy.
b. Informal A boyfriend.
2. A comrade or associate.
a. A person of equal rank, position, or background; a peer.
b. One of a pair; a mate: found the lost shoe and its fellow.
4. A member of a learned society.
5. A graduate student appointed to a position granting financial aid and providing for further study.
6. Chiefly British
a. An incorporated senior member of certain colleges and universities.
b. A member of the governing body of certain colleges and universities.
7. Obsolete A person of a lower social class.
adj.
Being of the same kind, group, occupation, society, or locality; having in common certain characteristics or interests: fellow workers.[/sblock]

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 91-100

Old 04-21-06, 12:32 AM #91
wmasters

"Yes, it was my first visit to the Red Dragon, although I had heard much about it, of course. It is a fine establishment. Things seem very busy there, although I suppose that is the nature of the place. Certainly, Joe seemed cheerful enough, so I imagine that business is going well.

"So tell me, have you seen much other work, beyond that which brings you here?"

Old 04-21-06, 04:14 AM #92
HugeOgre

Kith finally began to relax as his companions settled into a casual conversation with the two newcomers. "From my discussions with a paladin of Verdante the city is plagued by an outbreak of stirges. Just a day before I made my way back to the Red Dragon Inn he and I had an opportunity to destroy some that had infested an attic in one of the older homes in the city." Kith divulged.

Kith stretched to adjust his clothes, and to recheck his pack and bow that he had stowed on the floor near his feat. "I also know there is to be a series of tournaments held there in the coming days, though I did not make much note of them since I did not intend to enter any of the contests."

Old 04-21-06, 04:37 AM #93
Heckler

"Oh, yes, the tournament. I was thinking of entering it but I don't think I would've done very well and this opportunity came along. There is an archery contest, and summoning, dueling, crafting, a maze, a race and I think a couple others. It looks like it'll be quite a bit of fun. I'm kinda sad I'm going to miss it."

[sblock=ooc: ]Dungannon: That's fine. I was just curious what the setup was.

Patlin: No worries. I wasn't actually offended, as I'm not actually a woman. I just took the opportunity for a little RPing.

Rae: You still out there? Haven't heard from you in a while.[/sblock]

Old 04-21-06, 04:51 AM #94
Rae ArdGaoth

As the two newcomers approach the table, Fimble quiets down. Eventually, as it becomes clear that they intend to speak with him and his companions, he trails off. In his pleasant tone, he greets them with a bow, "Good evening, fine sirs. Fimbus Leyron Aukits Macklerey Gimmons the third, illusionist extraordinaire, at your service."

He lets the others guide the conversation along, keeping silent after his introduction, nodding every now and then. When the tournament is mentioned, he expresses disappointment that he couldn't look into it further. He is picking at a piece of bread and drinking a small glass of wine as he listens.

OOC:
I'm still here. Has it been that long? Two days, I suppose. Work, school, it gets in the way sometimes. But yes, I'm here. Fear not.

Old 04-21-06, 09:45 PM #95
Patlin

"Tournaments and Stirges, eh? Sounds interesting. I've had two jobs before this, one looking for some stolen silver in Monemvasia, another related to our current employment. Fought with Goblins, Hobgoblins, Some man like sea critters, and even a few undead. I'm looking forward to getting started on this new job, to see what challenges it might bring."

Old 04-21-06, 10:54 PM #96
IcyCool

Patlin said:
"Tournaments and Stirges, eh? Sounds interesting. I've had two jobs before this, one looking for some stolen silver in Monemvasia, another related to our current employment. Fought with Goblins, Hobgoblins, Some man like sea critters, and even a few undead. I'm looking forward to getting started on this new job, to see what challenges it might bring."

"Maybe we'll find some of your rats that you and Ragnykir were talking about." Gideon looks around the room before quietly saying, "Though I think it's more likely that we come across the people behind those hobgoblins."

Old 04-22-06, 12:02 AM #97
wmasters

"Goblins, hobgoblins, sea beasts and undead? It all sounds very daunting, Tor! No doubt we will find out more of what challenges await us in the morning.

"Speaking of which, I think perhaps I will retire for the evening. We would not want to keep Ms. LeCroix waiting again." Metrius nods at Gideon and Tor, "Gideon, Tor, it has been a pleasure meeting you both. I shall look forward to speaking with you further in the morning."

Old 04-22-06, 12:54 AM #98
Patlin

"A sound plan. Only a fool goes into battle tired if he can avoid it. I shall also retire."

Tor matches deed to word.

Old 04-22-06, 01:57 AM #99
HugeOgre

Kith nods in quiet deference to the departing members, but remains at the table.

Old 04-22-06, 06:40 AM #100
Rae ArdGaoth

Fimble upends his goblet and drinks the last drop of wine. He also bids the others goodnight and heads to the room, where he will strip down to his underclothes and hop in to bed.

wmasters

First Post
ooc: Metrius is back up and ready as well. I'm looking forward to getting back into it! Thanks for all your work in restoring this Dungannon.

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 101-110

Old 04-22-06, 08:01 AM #101
Heckler

"Yes, we don't want to be late tomorrow. I'm off to bed as well. Kith, do you still need those parchments?"

Babette will leave her writing equipment with Kith if he still needs them, otherwise she will stow them back in her pack before retiring.

"Ya'll sleep...I mean...I hope everyone sleeps well. Good night."

Old 04-22-06, 01:09 PM #102
Dungannon

ooc: Kith & Gideon are the only ones left downstairs, correct?

Old 04-22-06, 06:57 PM #103
HugeOgre

Kith had gestured to indicate Babette was free to take the parchment, which he had not even begun to use. "No, thank you, but I may have need of it tomorrow."

Kith let his eyes move around the room again, looking and listening for anyone who might be taking an interest in him or his departing party members, or who just looked guilty.

ooc: rolled a 10 on Listen and a 23 on Spot. He is still downstairs.

Old 04-24-06, 02:12 AM #104
Dungannon

As the group heads upstairs one by one to get what might be their last decent night's sleep in a while, Gideon and Kith find themselves alone at the table, sharing an awkward silence. The elf spends the moment looking around the room while Gideon stares into his glass.

[sblock=Kith: ]Kith notices that the bartender appears to keep glancing over at Gideon and himself a little more often than he looks at the other patrons.

ooc: Is your character named Kith or Kish? In this thread you call him Kith but on your Character post you call him Kish. Also, you should update your character post to reflect the money and XP you gained from "Short and Sweet".[/sblock]

[sblock=Gideon: ]Gideon notices that someone named "Jack" scratched his name into the table.

ooc: Spot check = 5[/sblock]

Old 04-24-06, 02:59 PM #105
HugeOgre

Kith leaned into the table.

I wonder what he is thinking about.

Twisting his mouth in obvious thought Kith whispered to his new companion. "I can’t help noticing the bartender giving us the dirty eyeball. You know anything about him? Think he’s trying to get our attention?"

[sblock=Dungannon: ]Thanks for the reminder. I had added a link with the XP, but hadn’t changed my XP total at the top. I assume that is what you were referring to. Anyway, its Kith, and I’ve updated my character sheet on that one to eliminate any future confusion (hopefully).[/sblock]

Old 04-25-06, 03:51 PM #106
IcyCool

Fire. Roaring, screaming fire. Vast fields of it were all that he could... Gideon looks up at Kith with a start when he speaks to him. "What?" He glances over at the bartender before looking around the rest of the tavern. "Maybe he's waiting for us to retire for the evening. Or maybe it's something else. I'm going to call it a night, but I'll sleep with one eye open." And with that, Gideon heads to his room.

Old 04-25-06, 05:37 PM #107
HugeOgre

Kith watches as Gideon heads off to his room, then gives one last glance around the room. Standing up, he makes his way to the bartender.

"I wonder if you could give me some advice on something light I could drink before my meditation - something with honey perhaps?" Kith eyes the bartender, trying to sense what his intent might have been earlier, and whether he has anything to share...

ooc: sorry to be holding everything up. If I don’t get anything from the barkeep I’m going to head off to find a place to meditate.

Old 04-25-06, 07:22 PM #108
Patlin

Tor Dreams.

The mountain range which his family calls home passes by underneath Tor as he glides gracefully through the sky. The snow covered peaks glitter in the bright sunshine, and far down in the valley the river is in spring flood. His eyes focus on a thin grey line in the distance, smoke rising from his mother's hearth. Soon he will be home. A feeling of peace and happiness fills him, and for the moment he is content.

On waking, he blinks and looks around, the unfamiliar surroundings at odds with his half remembered dream.

Old 04-25-06, 10:21 PM #109
Dungannon

The barkeep eyes Kith, then nods his head. "Here, try this," he says as he pours you a glass of dark wine. It has a unique smell, with a tangy-sweet aftertaste. All in all, it's not bad. He goes back to wiping out glasses before continuing. "You sure picked some peculiar people to hang out with. I'd be careful if I were you."

Old 04-26-06, 01:32 AM #110
HugeOgre

"You think so" Kith responded casually, turning to look back at the tables where his comrades had been sitting earlier. Turning back to the bartender he took a sip of the dark wine and nodded an affirmation. "They did seem a bit strange. I met them outside of town and thought there safety in numbers." Kith licked his thin elven lips and peered down at the glass. Looking up again he shrugged and said.

"Well, all except those last two. They seemed like you might have served them more than a few of these." Kith managed a nervous laugh. "I thought for a minute they meant to pick a fight with us. Have they been in here before?"

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 111-120

Old 04-26-06, 03:58 AM #111
Dungannon

"They're a strange pair, those two. Been staying here 'bout a week. Doin' some work for the Council, from what I hear," the bartender answers. He looks around before continuing. "Something's not right with 'em, if you ask me. Oh, they seem nice enough when you talk to them & all, but still. I've heard some of the chambermaids talking. Seems they've heard some weird things coming out of their rooms late at night. Talk of fire and flying and such, and that’s the stuff that's understandable. There's more sounds, but the language ain't common, ya know?"

The bartender gives Kith a piercing look before heading down to the end of the bar to assist another patron.

Old 04-26-06, 01:54 PM #112
HugeOgre

Kith drinks the last of the dark beverage and leaves a small tip on the bar, then heads off to find a quiet place to meditate.

Old 04-26-06, 08:44 PM #113
Dungannon

Everyone spends the night in relative comfort, disturbed by nothing more than their dreams. Knocks on their doors rouse them before daybreak, accompanied by a young voice. "Wake, sirs, wake. You're not to be late today."

Everyone manages to rouse themselves and make it downstairs to the deserted dining room.

ooc: Babette, of course, will hear "miss" instead of "sir".

Old 04-26-06, 10:18 PM #114
Patlin

Tor comes down the stairs two steps at a time, raring to go. His hair is still a bit wet, and his stomach is grumbling as he looks about for breakfast.

Old 04-27-06, 12:08 AM #115
IcyCool

Gideon strides down the stairs purposefully, eyeing the patrons he doesn't know, a slight scowl on his face.

He gets some food from the barkeep, and re-checks to ensure that he's got everything ready for the day.

Old 04-27-06, 12:17 AM #116
HugeOgre

Kith lightly bounds down the stairs from above, glad to be done waiting for the others to wake and get around and ready for the day. Moving to cross the common room, he nudges Gideon. "You two have got a reputation with the ladies apparently. Barkeep over there says so." Kith laughs not sure how the two will take the news...

Old 04-27-06, 12:25 AM #117
wmasters

Metrius comes downstairs with a yawn. "Morning guys, how're you all doing this morning?" He settles down for a hearty breakfast, "I'm looking forward to getting going this morning, I must admit. Who knows what the day will bring."

Old 04-27-06, 12:32 AM #118
Patlin

HugeOgre said:
"You two have got a reputation with the ladies apparently. Barkeep over there says so." Kith laughs not sure how the two will take the news...
Tor grins. "A gentleman mustn't kiss and tell, my new friend."

Old 04-27-06, 07:58 AM #119
Heckler

Babette comes down the stairs and gives a bright, perky "Good morning," to everyone who's present. She's obviously one of those annoying "morning people." She'll sit down to breakfast and ask, "Did everyone sleep well?"

Old 04-27-06, 02:17 PM #120
HugeOgre

Kith had chuckled at Tor's rebuffing. "I have to admit the comments about flying were a little disconcerting." he had replied. With Babettes arrival though he once again fell silent until she inquired about everyone's rest.

"No." he replied flatly, breaking into a broad grin at the age-old elvish joke even before anyone commented.

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 121-130

Old 04-27-06, 08:04 PM #121
Dungannon

Everyone gathers in the dining room for a pleasant breakfast as the sun rises outside (some, like Babette, finding it more pleasant than others). Soon the boy who roused the adventurers earlier enters the dining room, clearing his throat to get their attention. "Excuse me sirs, and madam, but your carriage has arrived."

Outside, the newcomers see a very expensive looking carriage waiting for them, drawn by a team of black stallions. Tor and Gideon, having already been treated to this little perk, are a little less awed. Soon everyone is seated inside on the padded benches and the driver starts off toward the Council House.

Soon, too soon for some, the carriage arrives at the Council House and the companions are ushered inside. A young man stands in the foyer, "Greetings gentlemen, and lady. Good to see you again Gideon, you too Tor. Follow me please." The gentleman (Henri is his name, Tor & Gideon remember) leads everyone upstairs and through a small maze of hallways and offices to a large conference room. "Please make yourselves comfortable. Ms. LeCroix will be with you in a moment."

Old 04-27-06, 08:15 PM #122
Patlin

Having enjoyed his breakfast, Tor is ready to get down to business. He takes his seat and waits for Ms. LeCroix with limited patience. Looking around, he considers the likely angles of attack and potential escape routes should the room be attacked by a pack of thieves during the briefing.

Old 04-27-06, 09:01 PM #123
Heckler

Babette takes a seat and can barely contain her enthusiasm at finally getting on with the job. "I hope she's not too mad we were late yesterday," she thinks to herself.

Old 04-27-06, 09:02 PM #124
IcyCool

Gideon takes a seat near a window and quietly gazes out it.

Old 04-27-06, 09:17 PM #125
HugeOgre

Kith quietly followed the others into the room, the soft swish of his habit and sandals lost in the din of the more armed and armored in the group. Taking the first empty seat available behind those who have already sit down, he sat quietly, nervously awaiting the woman and what new information she would bring.

Old 04-27-06, 09:46 PM #126
wmasters

Metrius sits, keen to meet Ms LeCroix, and to have a suitable setting to discuss Gideon and Tor's findings from their previous work for her.

OOC: As I said a little while ago, I'm off for a long weekend in a matter of hours. I'll be back Tuesday afternoon, I guess, and will check what I've missed then!

Old 04-28-06, 12:11 AM #127
Dungannon

The door opens and Ms. LeCroix enters, looking as lovely as ever. "Nice to see everyone here this morning. I trust you've made your introductions already? Good."

She takes a seat at the head of the large table and pauses until she has everyone's attention. "I'll make this short since I have a busy day ahead of me, as may you. The hobgoblins that were plaguing the caravans traveling from here to Allimon were not acting on their own. We weren't able to identify their employer, but it is clear that they were taking instructions from somebody in Ravensdale. They were told when and where to attack, and what to take." She looks directly at Tor as she continues, "Those black bolts you found the hobgoblins using came from Ravensdale. We believe they were part of a lot made for the Blackwings that went missing about a month ago." She pauses and looks around the room for a moment, letting everyone absorb what she’s said so far.

"One other thing. You mentioned, Tor, that you spotted a large rat a few times around Mr. Travers' ranch. Would it surprise you to hear that rat droppings have been found at the scene of several break-ins at warehouses and mansions?"

Old 04-28-06, 12:54 AM #128
Patlin

"No, I can't say I'm surprised." Tor says slowly. "But I am concerned. Could your new thieves’ guild be lead by wererats?"

Old 04-28-06, 01:12 AM #129
HugeOgre

"I suppose that is one possibility" Kith interjected, nodding to Tor as he continued to consider his employer's words. "While few elven wizards would do such a thing, are rats not sometimes the familiars of those who study arcane magic? For that matter, could it not simply be coincidence? Rats and rat droppings are hardly a strange site in these cities of man, are they?"

Old 04-28-06, 02:57 AM #130
Patlin

"A wizard with one of these rats as a familiar? Maybe if the wizard was the size of some sort of giant or titan. I'm not sure if they are wererats, or evil Druids, or some other strange beast, but take my word for it... those rats are important, and they will be trouble!"

Remove ads