R2: Rats in a Maze [Manzanita judging]

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 131-140

Old 04-28-06, 05:50 AM #131
Rae ArdGaoth

Fimbus came last into the breakfast room. He looked drowsy and sluggish but was more than satisfied with his bed. He is clearly not one of those annoying morning people.

When the carriage arrived he muttered, "So much for secrecy..."

He stands and bows slightly at Ms. LeCroix's entrance, but remains silent for the duration of her speaking; only nodding every now and then. He seems a bit more timid than usual, possibly because he caused everybody to be so late yesterday.

OOG:
I've been having trouble with EnWorld lately, it won't let me log in sometimes, and it drops off the internet for a while. Anybody else having troubles? Sorry if it seems like I'm not paying attention to the game, I am. I just can't post when the site won't log me in. =P

Old 04-28-06, 08:53 AM #132
Heckler

Babette sits silently at first, absorbing information and sorting facts in her head. After a time she speaks up. She speaks softly, glancing occasionally at the windows and doors.

"Normal rats can actually get to be quite large, especially if they have access to a warehouse with grains and such. They're actually smarter than most people give them credit for. Why are you so sure they are something unnatural?"

"Wererats, I think, would be smart enough not to...defecate...at the scene of a crime."

"The bolts offer two possibilities. The first being that someone wants to implicate the Blackwings, and possibly the Prince. Does he, or they, have any enemies that might have the resources to pull this off? Who would profit if the Prince were implicated in such matters? The other possibility I'll leave unvoiced, as it would be quite rude of me to impugn the honor of the Prince and his guards."

Now, she speaks even softer, and those wishing to hear her must make a concerted effort to do so.

"Lastly, the fact that the raiders were so well informed suggests our quarry has an informant inside the guilds, or they may be a member themselves. How do we know our foe is not listening to us right now?"

Old 04-28-06, 11:04 PM #133
Dungannon

Simone listens quietly while the party discusses the various alternatives. Finally she speaks up, "Everything you have mentioned is a possibility. Your job is to determine what the reality is. Do any of you have any specific questions? I may be able to answer some of them."

Old 04-28-06, 11:17 PM #134
IcyCool

Gideon speaks up, "Could you give a list of addresses for the warehouses that the droppings were found at? Do those warehouses have anything in common?"

Old 04-29-06, 04:06 AM #135
Dungannon

Simone smiles at Gideon's question, "Of course, Gideon." She hands over a sheet of parchment; apparently she'd been expecting this request. "As for any commonality, no. At least nothing out of the ordinary. A couple of the mansions belong to the same merchants that were victimized by one of the warehouse thefts, but in a city of commerce like Ravensdale that should be expected."

Old 04-29-06, 08:18 AM #136
Heckler

Her questions ignored, Babette sits back in her chair and steeples her fingers in front of her mouth, mumbling quietly to herself.

[sblock=Dungannon: ]I'm not sure I made it clear in my previous post, I was overlooked, or Babette is being ignored, but a couple of Babette's questions were directed to Simone. Either way, Babette will cast a Stilled Detect Magic (duration 1 minute), casting quietly and using her hands to block her mouth. She'll be sure she gets a look at all walls, ceiling, floor, corners that she can see from her seat, as well as Simone. If she detects anything on these, she will take the extra time to get more specific information. She won't be too concerned if she picks up any auras from party members.

If she has time she'll "drop" a pen, parchment, etc. and look under the table when she bends over to pick it up.

If she still has time after that, she will cease trying to be subtle and will turn around and examine the fourth wall and rest of the room.

She may need more than one casting to do all of this. She'll see what she gets with one to decide if she wants to cast another.

Also not sure if you would want a listen check for others to realize what she's doing.[/sblock]

Old 04-29-06, 01:57 PM #137
Dungannon

[sblock=Heckler: ]I'm not overlooking you. I assumed, and so did Simone, that Babette's question about the rats was directed at Tor, not Simone. Simone believes she addressed Babette's other musings with her "Everything you have mentioned is a possibility. Your job is to determine what the reality is" statement. And as for the last question, "How do we know our foe is not listening to us right now?" yes, Babette gets the impression that Simone is ignoring it, but she doesn't know why.

I'll post a response to Babette's actions later this afternoon. I'm at work right now and don't have access to everything.[/sblock]

Old 04-29-06, 10:15 PM #138
Heckler

[sblock=Dungannon: ]You assumed correctly. If she wants to be all mysterious 'n' stuff, I can play that game too.[/sblock]

Old 04-30-06, 04:58 PM #139
HugeOgre

"So, is it going to be seen as suspicious by anyone if we go looking around these locations," Kith asked as he motioned toward the list Simone had passed to Gideon. "or has some method of subterfuge already been thought of?"

Old 04-30-06, 07:04 PM #140
Dungannon

Simone looks at Kith, "Oh, yes, I almost forgot." She places six cards on the table, "These are writs stating that you are working for the Merchant Advisory Council in an official capacity. There's one for each of you. Now these don't give you free reign in the city, but they will help alleviate any altercations with the Blackwings and most of the private security forces. Some of them can be a little touchy about their responsibilities though, so try not to push your luck too much."

[sblock=Babette: ]As far as you can tell, nobody at the table notices your spellcasting. The spell reveals nothing, however, even when you surreptitiously check under the table and behind you.[/sblock]

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 141-150

Old 05-01-06, 04:50 AM #141
Heckler

"Hmmm..."

Babette continues to sit in quiet contemplation.

After a few moments, she knocks a pen off of the table. She leans over carefully, picking it up and returning to her previous position.

She then stands abruptly and turns around, glancing about, as if looking for something. She then returns to her seat and says to whoever was speaking, "I'm sorry, don't mind me. You were saying...?"

ooc: I don't have any more questions.

Old 05-02-06, 08:07 PM #142
Rae ArdGaoth

Fimble nods politely, remaining respectfully silent.

Old 05-02-06, 08:22 PM #143
Patlin

Tor frowns.

Sadly, it looks like we'll have to do a lot of work before we find someone to thump.

Making sure to get a list of break ins with enough information to be able to locate each one, Tor suggests that the group head out and start canvassing crime scenes.

Then a thought occurs to him...

"Perhaps it would speed things up if you let it be known that the council has hired us? If the thieves guild comes hunting us, it'll be a lot easier to find them."

The thought that soft city dwellers, rogues or not, might be an actual *threat* doesn't seem to have occurred to the big man. It would appear that gaining a tactical advantage such as surprise isn't foremost on his mind...

Old 05-02-06, 11:41 PM #144
wmasters

"Speed things up, perhaps Tor, but I think I'd prefer not to walk into an ambush from them if at all possible."

Turning to Ms. LeCroix, "Thank you for your time Ms. LeCroix. At the moment I have no further questions, but if we should have, can we find you here?"

Old 05-02-06, 11:45 PM #145
Patlin

"As you prefer, Metrius." Tor shrugs.

He leads the group onward to the nearest crime scene.

Old 05-03-06, 03:39 AM #146
Dungannon

"The Council prefers not to advertise its actions, Tor. That's why we hire independent contractors such as you rather than use our own guardsmen, who aren't really trained for investigative work anyway."

Simone stands as the group prepares themselves to begin their work. "If you have any future questions, or discover anything that you need to report, you can find me here or, if I'm unavailable, leave a message for me with the receptionist."

She makes her way to the door and holds it open for the adventurers as they make their way out. She places a hand on Babette's shoulder as the sorceress starts to leave, "I'd like a word with you please, if you don't mind."

Once everyone but Babette exits the room, Simone closes the door.

[sblock=Babette: ]Now that they are alone, Simone stares at the young magician. "Trust is an important thing, miss. Especially between employer and employee. I assure you that neither I nor anyone working for me is involved with this rash of thievery. I trust that your little spell reassured you to some degree that I am not acting against you or your companions in any way. If you find any reason to suspect any employee of the Council House of being involved in this, I trust you to bring it to my attention as soon as possible. And I expect you to trust me to deal with such information appropriately. We are on the same side here, girl. You may go now."[/sblock]

Old 05-03-06, 08:57 AM #147
Heckler

[sblock=Dungannon: ]Thinking of the great many things she would like to say, Babette will simply say "I think you misunderstand why I did what I did. I've never thought that you were working against us," hoping that is enough of an explanation without leading things into an argument.

Unless Simone wishes to respond, Babette will rejoin the others.[/sblock]

Old 05-03-06, 02:12 PM #148
HugeOgre

Kith found himself looking down at the papers he had been given by his new employer. As they exited the building he couldn’t help wonder.

"So, where do we head first?"

ooc: Having no opinion on the matter, assume Kith will go wherever the group wants, and feel free to use him in your own posts.

Old 05-03-06, 02:51 PM #149
wmasters

Metrius walks up ahead with Kith and speaks in hushed tones, “Well, as I see it, we've got two places to look at first. We could look at the scenes of the break-ins and see if there's anything out of the ordinary there, perhaps question the guards etc."

"It might be worth talking to the Blackwings as well, see if anything can be found out about the theft of the bolts. And, of course, if this is an exceptionally large rat then it might be worth asking around town to see if anyone has seen it - it might narrow down the search somewhat."

Old 05-03-06, 07:44 PM #150
Dungannon

[sblock=Babette: ]Simone nods at Babette's words. "Good, let us put this issue behind us then. Good luck, Babette, we're counting on you here."

The half-elf opens the door and motions for Babette to lead the way out.[/sblock]
As the group waits for Babette, they take a look at the list Simone provided. On the parchment are seven addresses, four warehouses and three residences, with the date of each robbery next to them.

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 151-160

Old 05-03-06, 07:57 PM #151
Patlin

"Most recent first?" Tor suggests.

Old 05-03-06, 08:00 PM #152
Heckler

The door opens and Babette rejoins the group.

"Okay, guys, where do you want to start?"

Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM #153
wmasters

"Most recent first sounds as good a place to start as any to me."

Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM #154
HugeOgre

"Incidentally, is there any discernable pattern?" Kith inquired as the group made their way to their destination. "You know, first a warehouse and then its owner, or only on God's day, or all at night?"

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM #155
Heckler

"Most recent sounds good to me. Tor, Gideon, you guys have spent some time in town. You got any idea where these places are?"

Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM #156
Dungannon

Kith Ra Ei said:
"Incidentally, is there any discernable pattern? You know, first a warehouse and then its owner, or only on God's day, or all at night?"
The list doesn't say who owned the warehouses that were robbed.

Babette said:
"Most recent sounds good to me. Tor, Gideon, you guys have spent some time in town. You got any idea where these places are?"
Tor & Gideon know that, even if they don't know the location, they can easily ask for directions from one of the guard patrols or street vendors.

ooc: The order of the break-ins, from first to latest, is warehouse, warehouse, mansion, warehouse, mansion, mansion, mansion, and warehouse. Let me know if you want the most recent warehouse or mansion robbery.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM #157
wmasters

Dungannon said:
ooc: The order of the break-ins, from first to latest, is warehouse, warehouse, mansion, warehouse, mansion, mansion, mansion, and warehouse. Let me know if you want the most recent warehouse or mansion robbery.
ooc: I'm happy in that order, so a warehouse first I guess.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM #158
Patlin

Most recent first. The clues will be fresher. The old ones are probably *very* cold trails by now.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM #159
IcyCool

Gideon nods at Babbette's suggestion. "Most recent sounds fine to me. It will feel good just to be doing something again."

Old Today, 03:24 AM #160
Dungannon

The party exits he Council House to find the sun has risen bright and warm. It promises to be a good day, they think. Directly north they see the Market and beyond that is the Warehouse District. Armed with an address, a sense of purpose, and their wits they begin their assignment in earnest.

ooc: The date of the last robbery was just over a week ago. Tor and Gideon remember that it was the same day they left Allimon.

Dungannon

First Post
Posts 161-164

Patlin

Tor looks about hopefully as they walk to the first scene, looking for an ambush... or rodents of unusual size.

Dungannon

The party makes their way through the streets of Ravensdale toward the Warehouse District and the address of the last robbery. Avoiding the distractions of the Market this time they make good time, arriving at the building a short while later. The structure, while not as imposing as the mega warehouses used by the most prosperous merchants, still impresses. It stands three stories tall and covers over 10,000 square feet of ground space. Three surly looking guards stand in front of the large double doors on the eastern side.

ooc: here is a map showing the location of the warehouse and the Wishing Well Inn.

Patlin

"Hello, my good fellows. I hope the morning suits you well. If you wouldn't mind having a look at our papers, we need to take a look around."

Tor produces his "badge."

wmasters

Metrius looks around the warehouse quickly while Tor introduces the group to the guards and they peruse the papers, looking to see whether it would be a simple matter for an unusually large rodent to disappear down back alleys or into a sewer, and for anything else strange outside of the warehouse.

Spot +2, Search +2

Dungannon

First Post
And We're Back!

The first guard takes the paper from Tor and gives it a glance. “What’s this about then? Whatcha need to look around here for?” The other two warily eye the companions.

[sblock=Metrius: ]While scanning the exterior of the warehouse you notice that one of the windows on the south side is much cleaner than the others, like it’s been recently replaced. The windows, by the way, are about 10 feet above the ground and about 2 ft. wide by 4 ft. tall. When you approach for a closer examination nothing else appears out of the ordinary to you.

ooc: Spot check = 18
Search check = 6
[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
"We're working with the Merchant's advisory council. Seems they have an interest in preventing any further thefts, and they wanted us to have a look around." Tor replies. "Do you want to give us a tour, or would you prefer to stay at your post?"

HugeOgre

First Post
Kith Ra Ei, Elven Monk

Kith stood quietly while the more experienced in the party dealt with the guards.

ooc: just dropping in to say Im here.

Dungannon

First Post
Walk this way...

The guard looks at the scrip, then back at Tor. He finally hands the parchment back and grudgingly opens the door. "I'll walk you through, in case you have any questions."

Just inside the double doors is a small office manned by an older gentleman behind a desk and a large stack of papers. The guard steps inside for a moment and has a quick word with the man, then rejoins you.

ooc: attached is a map of the warehouse. The open areas are filled with stacked boxes, crates, and sacks. 5 ft. aisleways run through the stacks at regular intervals. The enclosed areas rise all the way up to the ceiling.

Attachments

• warehouse.JPG
    warehouse.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 117

Patlin

Explorer
"Well, fellows, I hope one of you might have a clever eye. If it's up to me to find any clues that might be hereabouts, we're likely to have a hard day."

Search +2; Spot -1; Listen +5

Tor shrugs his spiked chain loose from his shoulders, ready in case (against all expectations) one of the thieves is still about.

Remove ads