Rabite (Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2)

Brasswatchman

First Post
Re: Whoops

Okay, everyone - having just playtested the rabite in-game, I think I can safely conclude that the creature should be CR 1, at least, not CR 1/2. Thirteen of the things were able to take apart a second-level party without any trouble (or would have, if I hadn't fudged a few roles). Hate when that happens.

Solarious

Explorer
Hmn. Taking a closer look at the Rabite, I am suddenly struck by the figure of 19 Str on a small animal. I'm not entirely sure that they're supposed to be as strong as an above average half-orc. Cut the figure to something like 14 or 15, and I think it will balance out better. Compensate by adding another +4 racial bonus to jump. The things are supposed to be rather dangerous in swarms, and irritating in small(er) numbers, not lethal to characters in small numbers.

Besides, I want to be able to summon multiples with a Summon Nature's Ally I spell.

Brasswatchman

First Post
Re:

Hmm. Might be worth a shot. On the other hand, my characters have already seen *this* version of the rabite in play. I think I'm stuck with what I've got for right now. That having been said, I agree with your advice in total. :)

babomb

First Post
MOB OF RABITES
Gargantuan Animal (mob of Small Animals)
Hit Dice: 30d8+30 (165 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 10 feet (2 squares)
Armor Class: 10 (-4 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 7.
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+36
Attack: mob(automatic 5d6)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Expert grappler, trample 2d6+3
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, mob anatomy.
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +20, Will +9
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Jump +10, Listen +1, Spot +2, Survival +0.
Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus (Jump), Improved Bull Rush(B), Improved Overrun(B).
Environment: Temperate forest
Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3-12 mobs)
Challenge Rating: 8

A mob of rabites consists of 48 rabites. Larger groups can be represented by multiple mobs of rabites.

Expert Grappler(Ex): A mob of rabites can maintain a grapple without penalty and still make attacks against other targets. A mob of rabites is never considered flat-footed while grappling.

Trample(Ex): A mob of rabites that simply moves over a creature and doesn't end its movement with that creature in one of its occupied squares can trample the creature. A trampled creature takes 2d6 + 3 damage. A victim may either take an attack of opportunity against the mob of rabites or make a Reflex save (DC 27) to take half damage.

Mob anatomy(Ex): A mob of rabites is not subject to critical hits or sneak attacks and cannot be flanked, tripped, grappled, or bull rushed. Spells or effects that slay, disable, or otherwise incapacitate a specific number of creatures bestow 2 negative levels on the mob. A mob of rabites with negative levels equal to its hit dice is dispersed. Negative levels gained in this manner are not the result of negative energy (and thus cannot be blocked by death ward or removed by restoration), but never result in permanent level loss. A mob of rabites takes 50% more damage from spells or effects that affect an area.

Remove ads