• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Treasure Table?

elwynbdas

First Post
Shop inventory creator - that's what I need

Have you thought about creating a similar tool that creates the inventory of a random shop the PC's visit?

I want to allow PC's to even buy magic items as suggested in the PHB. I used to not allow it, but why not.
I'm thinking about the kind of shop you find in computer roleplaying games, where you sell and buy stuff.
For me as a DM it's kind of tough to come with a selection that makes sense or is not arbitrary.

Parameters could be:
- level of party
- categories available (armor, weapons, equipment, magic item categories, etc.)
- distance from major centers (close, medium, far), determining the variety of the selection
- desired price increase/decrease (greedy tiefling trader/friendly dwarven arm smith)
While I'm looking to let the PC's find items during encounters they can actually use, they'll visit a shop and find many unusable orbs of whatever, along with a dagger+1 the thief might want to buy.

Appleseeth

First Post
Have you thought about creating a similar tool that creates the inventory of a random shop the PC's visit?

I want to allow PC's to even buy magic items as suggested in the PHB. I used to not allow it, but why not.
I'm thinking about the kind of shop you find in computer roleplaying games, where you sell and buy stuff.
For me as a DM it's kind of tough to come with a selection that makes sense or is not arbitrary.

Parameters could be:
- level of party
- categories available (armor, weapons, equipment, magic item categories, etc.)
- distance from major centers (close, medium, far), determining the variety of the selection
- desired price increase/decrease (greedy tiefling trader/friendly dwarven arm smith)
While I'm looking to let the PC's find items during encounters they can actually use, they'll visit a shop and find many unusable orbs of whatever, along with a dagger+1 the thief might want to buy.

That's a great idea. I wouldn't even have to make a new database either. Also, I still have a bit of a leg up on that other program, as mine works for ALL levels, not just 1-10.

I think I know what my next step for the program is. It'll be quite a bit of work, but should be worth it, as it'll make the whole thing more user friendly (in a way).

I'll be posting any updates here from now on. If anyone knows how to work an XML file, PM me, as I could use the help.

Tellerve

I too would be really excited to see thing working, including the magic shop thing as well. I think that could be really handy. Sadly I have no XML experience whatsoever.

Tellerve

Appleseeth

First Post
Update: so far I have the item generation system running off of XML files. My current task is to get the other parcels generated by the new system.

Again, if anyone knows how to edit an XML file, I'd love some help filling in the magic items. It's a pretty huge task, especially with the weapons and armor.

Appleseeth

First Post
I hate double posting, but this has to do with something different. I've made another thread for my program, so all those who are looking for updates on the status of my Random Treasure Generator should go here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4440364#post4440364

Once that is completed, maybe you (elwynbdas) and I can discuss the design of the merchant shoppe thing in more detail. I'm glad to see there are people interested in my work though.

Remove ads