• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Razorclaw Rat

Phineas Crow

First Post
Razorclaw Rat
Medium Animal

Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), burrow 20 ft
Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+1
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d8+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d8+1) and bite +5 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood rage, rend
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +5
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +5, Hide +5, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Spot +7
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, pack (2-4), or plague (11-20)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 5-9 (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

Beneath the surface scurries the razorclaw rat, woe be to any who cross paths with them, for their razor sharp claws can rend through flesh and bone with sickening ease.

While it has much in common, appearance wise, with a normal rat the razorclaw rat is several times larger and has wickedly long claws on its feet which it uses to burrow through the ground. The eyes of the razorclaw rat are slightly bigger in proportion to a normal rat and they glow a bright crimson red in the dark belaying their presence to any who notices the glow.

Razorclaw rats are very territorial and have become been known to attack en masse to defend their warren lairs, much to the chagrin of the underground races, that from time to time, accidentally uncover razorclaw rat tunnels while doing their own digging.

Combat
Not ones for tactics, Razorclaw rats will charge the enemy clawing and biting to the death. When hunting for food razorclaw rats have been known to hide beneath the surface of cave floors ambushing anything that happens by.

Blood Rage (Ex): If any blood has been recently spilt within 30 ft. of a razorclaw rat it can fly into a blood rage giving it a +8 bonus to Strength with a -2 penalty to armor class. The blood rage lasts until it or its opponents have been killed. This ability can only be used once per day.

Rend (Ex): If a razorclaw rat hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d8+1 points of damage (2d8+7 if under the effects of blood rage).

Skills: Razorclaw rats have a +6 racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
4 HD might be a bit much for a small animal. Most small animals have one or two hit dice...

Phineas Crow said:
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+1
Base Attack should be +3. The Attack and Full attack line seem to be correct, though.

Phineas Crow said:
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +5
Most animals have poor Will saves, which would mean Will +2. If you want the rats to have good Will saves, it might be a good idea to mention that in the Combat section.

Phineas Crow said:
Skills: Balance +5, Hide +5, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Spot +7
Small creatures receive a +4 bonus to Hide checks, making the Hide check for the rat +9.

Phineas Crow said:
Blood Rage (Ex): If any blood has been recently spilt within 30 ft. of a razorclaw rat it can fly into a blood rage giving it a +8 bonus to Strength with a -2 penalty to armor class. The blood rage lasts until it or its opponents have been killed. This ability can only be used once per day.
It might be convenient for those who use the creature to give an abbreviated stat block that lists the changes due to the blood rage.

Phineas Crow said:
I'm tempted to increase the CR to 4.
Not that I'm a master at assinging CRs, but I'm inclined to agree.

A nice monster, and I think Ferret might find it interesting, too. :)

Phineas Crow

First Post
Thanks for the help, I've edited in the corrections... guess I was more tired last night than I thought.

While most animals do have poor will saves, the dire rat does have a good will save so I decided to use a good will save.

Phineas Crow

First Post
Knight Otu said:
4 HD might be a bit much for a small animal. Most small animals have one or two hit dice...

I've thought it over, and while I liked the idea of having it small size, I have to agree. I'm going to increase its size to medium.

fnork de sporg

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Yeah, but most small animals are losers and wusses.

I say leave them small.

I remember onve there was this house in the neighborhood. The owners had moved out and while vacant it had attracted these insanely tough rats. Normal rat traps wouldn't kill them. They had to come with .22 rifles and even then they said the routinely had to shoot them two or even three times. They would have their lags and pelvis blow off, literally shot in half, and they'd still be scurrying around just as fast and determined as before. Tenacious little buggers, easily a 2 or 3 hit die creature.

Besides even Small is frigging gigantic for any normal rat. These things are big as dogs.

Remove ads