• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[RCFG] RCFG Ongoing Development!

Interesting stuff. I checked out the preview but haven't read it in detail yet. I shall post again when I have had the chance to do so.

My own project is going in a somewhat different direction. It will be cool to compare them when we get done. :lol:

pawsplay

Hero
On the magic item front, my thoughts were in the direction of the old High Level Handbook. Basically, based on an item's level and complexity, you would need to find a number of components. At the DM's option, you might be able to purchase some minor components, but you usually quested for them, and the rarest components, used to make permanent items, could usually only be purchased once you had either made the component available yourself or previously commissioned a similar item. It was also the DM's purview for the recipe to change from time to time.

Scrolls and potions used to take time and money. I think that's a fine approach. The limitation on using them is that you have to hold them in hand and can usually only ready one at a time, while your stockpile had finite limits of space and weight.

XP costs I think are just not a good idea... anything that causes XP to go down is more trouble than it's worth.

EDIT: Magic items generally need costs reflecting their utility and rarity. Obviously, heroes, powerful organizations, and rulers would do some trade in such items. I'm comfortable with fairly generic costs.

I'll comment from a general design perspective on an OGL game in a moment.

pawsplay

Hero
My project:

Originally, I had the idea of pre-empting 4e with a SW Saga inspired game, but apparently I was not the first person to have that idea, or the one with the most free time. Also, I've become less enchanted with some aspects of that game over time, although it does to me represent a better implementation of some of what d20 Modern tried to do. I discarded the idea of doing 3.5 "but fixed" because a) I'm not sure how much interest there is out there for my personal house rules, b) Pathfinder is doing this in a much more ambitious way, albeit in a different direction, and c) I really like a lot of variant ideas that popped up in Unearthed Arcana and other d20-based games. So I wanted to go under the hood and really rebuild a game from a 3.5 type core, but not necessarily a retread.

My main goals:
Reduce complexity, especially concerning high level characters with TOO MANY options.
Bring down the wahoo factor, aim more for the chivalric romance/swords-and-sorcery roots of D&D
Unify mechanics
Simplify character creation
Adhere to the older mythos, especially BECMI D&D and AD&D 1e and ealy D&D imitators like Palladium, T&T, etc.
Use mainly the 3.5 core, breaking only what I need to
Keep high level play viable without simply dialing PC abilities to nightmarish levels (a la Epic Handbook)
Keep numbers down
Do something with henchmen, followers, and strongholds
Reduce the prevalance of magic items to 1e levels, where a Death Knight had a 50% chance (gasp) of having a magical sword +1 or better. Not a nerf, but simply making permanent or multi-use items a little more rare, distinctive, and perhaps quirky to use.
Fix open-ended spells and abilities while keeping them flexible.

Some specific thoughts I've had:
I like the idea of unified defenses (Fortitude, Reflexes, Will) rather than "saves" and I like the SW Saga idea of AC perhaps being related to Reflexes.
I also like the idea of "roll and escape" saves so I have decided to keep saves in a different form. Ever read The Arcanum and all that? In that game, an "ability save" was what 3e calls an ability check. So saves are now all tied to abilities: Str save to break bonds, Con save to overcome nausea, etc.
I'm limited rolled hit dice and Con bonus to 10 levels.
I like the idea of class powers and feats.
Energy drain is now just damage that won't heal naturally but requires divine magic to easily be rid of.
Base a lot more effects on damage.... maybe petrify does petrification damage, and if it takes you out, you turn into a statue instead of just dead.

Two dilemmas I've had:
Do fighters need "class powers" or is it ok for their power to be feats?
Spells: Keep the 1st to 9th spell structure, or take a more Palladium/Vancian approach of spells being what they are, with some more powerful spells entailing greater difficulty, cost, or risks?

My project:

Unify mechanics

I would use caution before putting this in the design goals. In my own project there are things that a d20 just doesn't handle as well as another mechanic. I found myself trying to shoehorn concepts to fit the mechanic rather than building the right mechanic for the concept.

For example a 1d anything has no bell curve whatsoever. When trying to decide on a skills roll mechanic I scrapped 1d20. A talented and trained expert rolling a 1 just blows.

Having said that, If you can get a unified mechanic to handle your concepts well, then you have a real treasure. Good luck.

pawsplay

Hero
Can you please elaborate on this? I'd like to do the same for my homebrew but don't know how to approach it. Feel free to fork this if necessary.

Are you familiar with the Book of Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness? Not my favorite sourcebooks, but they did sneak in some good ideas. One of those was vile damage. It's damage that is not merely evil but vile, and so it cannot be healed except by using curative magic inside a hallowed area. I wasn't thinking of anything so specific, but I had the idea that maybe energy drain could be healed by restoration or something.

Remove ads