D&D 5E Re-opening discussion on multiple spell concentration.

ro

First Post
I like this idea except that it allows a Champion Fighter 19 to take Wizard 1 at 20th level and instantly concentrate on three spells at once.

At this point your level 20 and have only 2 spells per day so no concentrating on 3 :), but I see your point. I was just trying to modify the previous posters idea.

Going by total cast level will prevent this, as the Champion Fighter 19 / Wizard 1 would have only one such level, so only only 1 concentration.

As to only losing one spell at a time? I think it would bog down the game. It sucks but if you loose concentration you loose concentration. I think this could be a downside to concentrating on multiple spells at once.

Perhaps. This would be worth trying it see how it works out.

I like your idea about total Caster Level instead of proficiency bonus.

Thanks! :)

I'd also like to throw in a caveat that you can't concentrate on the Same Name spell twice. For instance cast Fly on yourself and then use another 3rd level spell to cast Fly on someone else, while I don't really find that broken this is something you can do with a 4th level slot. This would prevent double stacking Haste or other silly combos.

This is a good idea. "You cannot concentrate on multiple spells with the same name."

Don't Rangers have 1/2 CL so they would gain dual concentration at 13th or 14th level? I haven't played Ranger/Paladin/Edritch Knight/Arcane Trickster to know if they'd really benefit from being able to concentrate on multiple spells, with the aforementioned caveat. So no 2x Hunters Marks going....

Rangers are often considered a half-caster ad their spell slot levels are limited, but they gain Spellcasting at level 2, and each level after that they can modify or improve their casting. All Ranger levels except the first (pre-Spellcasting) would count toward the Concentration benefits. adding the same-name rule would help.

I don't have a problem with your animal companion helping out just like a familiar. I'd actually like to be able to cast a spell on your animal companion or familiar so it can function as both if you multi-class say Druid/Sorceror.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "be able to cast a spell on ... so it can function as both"?

Also to keep game balance I think we need to find a way for non-spell casters to get an ability that would increase their abilities as well.

Agreed. Hopefully this concentration will add flexibility more than power, but yes.

Voromir

First Post
Maybe not a spell, but I think it wouldn't be broken just to tack on the abilities of a familiar to an animal companion, or even a Paladin's mount for that matter. Just think a Paladin's warhorse could deliver smites!
(Cool image, but probably not that practical)

How you do it, I haven't thought about in depth... maybe instead of 'Find' Familiar the spell would be Blood Bond a 1st level ritual spell that bestows the power to assist in concentration upon any tamed animal, if the animal is not already your familiar it becomes your familiar with all the abilities listed under find familiar. It would be permanent and you could only have one at a time?

Remove ads