Re-recruiting for Savage World Rifts game...

tglassy

Adventurer
Sorry, power went out for a bit. I'll start the rolls.

Ok, first up, the Fortune and Glory table! I rolled this one myself before I asked, and wound up with a 12. Watch I don't get another 12.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok, off to a great start!

Looks like I'm either a pilot or a driver, and I have either two weapons, or a weapon and the trademark weapon Edge. Can I go with a TK Revolver and make that my trademark weapon? I do sort of plan on giving him the Arcana Background (Superhero) edge, which gives 20 Power points. Probably just sticking with the one power, though, if I can have a TK Revolver, as that will likely use most of my PP. If I can have the TK Revolver, then that will go a long way to help the image I have of this character.

Or hell, since I got two weapons, can I have two TK revolvers?

Also, for the vehicle, would you consider allowing me to have a Wingboard?

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok, so for my three Heroes Journey rolls, I'm going with one Cybernetics, and one Enchanted Items. If I like what I get with those two, my third will be Psionics. If not, I'll take another of the one I didn't like.

Cybernetics:
[roll0]

Enchanted Items
[roll1]

Ok! So for cybernetics, a Subject Matter Expert Port and a Four Step Skill Load. Would have rather had the Agility version, but this will do nicely.

And a Magic Optic System. To be honest, I was going to use the cybernetic implants for mainly optic implants, so this isn't that fun. I suppose it lets him see magic. That might be useful.

So...I'll have to think about that third roll for a bit. I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok, I've decided I have enough stuff fighting for PP. I'll just roll on Cybernetics again. I'll have at least a d6 in Spirit and Vigor, and get the Upgradeable edge for free, so Ill have at least 12 strain. My as well make use of them!

[roll0]

Aquatic Mode Upgrade. Why is it that all my characters wind up being able to breathe under water?

Ok, the rules say I can trade two Hero's Journey rolls for one that I choose? Could I trade the Aquatic Mode Upgrade and the Magic Optics for Combat Mage Armor (TW)?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
One thing you should be aware of is that using magic items in Rifts requires you to have the Arcane Background edge, which gives you the power points necessary to make magic items work. This includes all items labeled 'Techno-wizard' (or TW) including armor.

Having cybernetics however, makes using magic progressively more difficult. Combining the two isn't impossible, but it's going to be suboptimal, I think. The system is designed to encourage focus on technology -or- magic/psionics.

tglassy

Adventurer
That's why I said I'd be giving him the "Arcane Background: Superhero" edge. Nothing in the handbook says that a MARS character has any complications with arcane backgrounds. MARS characters don't actually have complications like Juicers or Combat Cyborgs, which can't use any kind of magic or psionics.

So in this case, mixing an Arcane Background: Superhero, which gives a lot of PP but only one power, with a few items that require PP, is an efficient use of those PP, I think. It allows him to use the items I've come to want (TK Revolver, Combat Mage Armor, and Waveboard), but he isn't really a magical/psionic type of person. He's a gunslinger cyborg. The one power I'm going to give him is Clairvoyance, because he's a headhunter/lawman, and that will allow him to find people easier.

His cybernetic implants, which I'll be posting soon, are mostly vision and survival, as he is used to living on his own. Internal life support, optics package, targeting eye, etc. I've never played this game before, so I'm not sure what works together and what doesn't, but his PP will fuel his ammo, armor and travel, and his cybernetics will take care of survivability and fighting ability. It seems to math up pretty well, so far.

tglassy

Adventurer
I suppose it does say that Strain causes a 1 to 1 point penalty on casting rolls. So right now, it'd be a -8 penalty. That's going to make it hard to cast anything, but I don't see anything that says that powering TK items takes a roll. It just says it takes a charge. Is that the case or am I going to need to roll to see if I can recharge my gun?

tglassy

Adventurer
I've got some room for other Cybernetics. My Strain max is 12, and I only have 9 right now. So, While choosing my hinderences, I decided one of my perks would be the Edge "Rich", so I'm going to roll for more Cybernetics. I get two. Once I hear whether or not PP works with items without a roll, I'll move on. if they don't, I'm going to take the "Filthy Rich" instead of Arcane Background, and get new armor/weapons and such.

Cybernetic rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Wow, that's great. Nano-Repair systems and Cyber Wired Reflexes. That gives my strain up to 12, and I think he's done for now with cybernetics. Here's the list, organized, with the amount of strain for each one:

· Internal Life Support – 2
· Nano Repair System - 2
· Cyber-Wired Reflexes – 1
· Core Electronics Package - 1
· Optics Package = 1
· Range Data Systems – 1
· Targeting eye – 1
· Wilderness Scout Package – 1
· Wired Skill Ports – 1
· Subject Matter Expert Port - 1

Question. All this is just for a Starter MARS character. MARS characters start with 20 experience. Since I'm coming in late, do I get any additional xp?

Last edited:

Remove ads