• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recovering from being stunned?

azhrei_fje

First Post
How can a creature recover more quickly from being stunned? It looks like "dazed" only lasts a single round, but being stunned can last multiple rounds and there doesn't seem to be any counter for it: healing spells don't help, restoration spells don't help, and so on. There are even spells to wipe out fatigue and/or exhaustion, but nothing for stun.

We're going up against creatures who have the ability to stun opponents up to 60 feet away for 10 rounds or more! This is going to be a big problem, I think. Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Well, Heal cures stun. Heal :: d20srd.org

Might be too pricy just for that purpose, though. Are you fighting Mind Flayers? Or is it otherwise a will save? Because spell compendium has a level 2 spell that affectss a group of creatures, letting them reroll one will save each round called Battle Hymn. It helps greatly in these fights.

Barring that, you can use powers like Time Hop and spells like Shadow Well or Resilient Sphere to take any victims out of the fight or protect them from harm while stunned. If you could ready an action to put up some kind of wall spell to break line of effect, that might be useful.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Well, Heal cures stun. Heal :: d20srd.org

Might be too pricy just for that purpose, though.
Yeah, that's a bit expensive. And not a spell my cleric can handle at our current level anyway. :(

Are you fighting Mind Flayers? Or is it otherwise a will save? Because spell compendium has a level 2 spell that affectss a group of creatures, letting them reroll one will save each round called Battle Hymn. It helps greatly in these fights.
Yep, exactly. :) I didn't want to mention that because it occurred to me that this is a general problem and not one specifically focused on squidheads.

I'll check to see if our GM will allow the spell from the SC. I don't have that book, so I'll have to get the stats first.
Barring that, you can use powers like Time Hop and spells like Shadow Well or Resilient Sphere to take any victims out of the fight or protect them from harm while stunned. If you could ready an action to put up some kind of wall spell to break line of effect, that might be useful.
Again, a bit pricey for us.

I'd thought of the wall spells. Another possibility would be a successful blindness cast on the squidhead, but that's not very likely. :( We're looking into poison (since it requires a Fort save and squiddies are pretty lousy at that one).

But I was just generally looking for some ideas on stunning itself. In my campaign, I'm almost inclined to give it a save every round even without the spell; very similar to the way hold person was nerfed in 3.5E.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Panacea spell (both in Miniatures Handbook and Spell Compendium) also wipes away Stunned condition. It is Clr 4, Drd 5 spell.

Also, if you know that your group will face Mind Flayers, spells like Globe of Invulnerability or Spell Resistance may help.

Mind Blast is a spell-like ability of equivalent spell level of 4. So, unless the monster is using Heighten Spell-Like Ability feat, it is completely negated by Globe of Invulnerability. And, as Mind Flayer advance only by class levels, the caster level of Mind Blast is always 8 even if that is a Mind Flayer Sorcerer or Illithilich. So having spell resistance is useful. (Well, there are Ulitharid and Elder Brain, though).

bigbaddragon

First Post
There is a level 2 Cleric spell in SC that allows clerics to remove some conditions from the target they heal based on their number of ranks in heal. There is a set of conditions that you can remove with 5 ranks in heal and a bit expanded list you can remove with 10 ranks. Another benefit is that you can substitute your caster level for ranks in heal when you cast healing spells. I'm away from books right now and I don't remember if stun was on the list but its worth taking a look into.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Panacea spell (both in Miniatures Handbook and Spell Compendium) also wipes away Stunned condition. It is Clr 4, Drd 5 spell.
Cool. I'm just getting access to Clr4 spells, so I'll check this one out.

Also, if you know that your group will face Mind Flayers, spells like Globe of Invulnerability or Spell Resistance may help.
This campaign is magic-and-psionics-are-different, so spell resistance doesn't help much; I'd need power resistance instead. :( Although we're playing that PR=SR-10, so a reaaalllly high SR would be good, too. :)

Another good spell: Resurgence. Cleric 1. Lets a target retry a saving throw for an ongoing effect. Also from Spell Compendium. There's a Mass version at level 3, too.
I'll take a look. Can I cast that spell after the fact? Very few spells can be cast afterward to provide another save. And the ones that must be cast in advance, typically don't last very long.

It also occurred to me that a bard has the ability to substitute a Perform check roll for a saving throw. Is that a Will save? If so, our little party needs to hire a bard!!! (edit: hmm, nope. Looks like Countersong applies to "magical effects" and they must be sonic or language-dependent. Oh well.)

Remove ads