(Recruiting) Kiss of Darkness--Adventure in my Homebrew Setting

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord Wyrm said:
I always try to get in my combat posts daily, or more if possible.

I may have something brewing in the recesses of my mind. What are orcs like? Fairly standard or do they actually have something of a culture, what's their position in the world, so on and so forth? This particular concept may not go anywhere but it will get some more detail and possbily openup a solid character concept.
Orcs, eh? If you are looking for a campaign that *really* has orcs in an interesting and unusual position, that would be Eyros, where humans and orc noble houses run things and only half-orcs can become the rulers. And I may run an Eyros campaign sometime in the future :)

In the world of Kiss of Darkness, orcs are fairly standard brutish barbarians from the northlands, universally disliked and mistrusted by the standard races further south.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Northlands? Interesting.

Do they have a culture similar to Vikings? And by that I mean, "Could an orc be loosely based off of a northman on the 'Thirteenth Warrior' and be in line with the game?".

Bront

The man with the probe
Hi.

I never realy post much here, so you might not want to pick me :p

Anyway, my two ideas, which I'll have to refine a bit further, are either:
A) My Changeling Recaster - Uber Nerd Wizard and Student out to test his mettle against the world. May have some schoolastic ties of some kind. He's open about being a changeling, seeing that as simply a part of him. Eventualy head towards recaster and potentialy loremaster.

B) A Changeling Social Rogue - A shifter who hides and infiltrates. Possibly a member of some sort of spy organization or other nation, character would have no trapsense but increased ability for social and knowledge skills. Could eventualy head towards the Chamelion PrC, or some other infiltration PrC (Or maybe even just stay Rogue). Similar idea to Mel from Scion, though a much less 'inocent' character.

I know you said Changelings were fine, and the Recaster was fine. I don't think you'd have a problem with the Chamelion, but not sure, depends on your view of the Able Learner feat (All Cross Class Skills are 1 SP instead of 2, still limited appripriately

Anyway, let me know if you prefer either of these, as I'm open either way, or if not, i'll just roll them both up.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord Wyrm said:
Northlands? Interesting.

Do they have a culture similar to Vikings? And by that I mean, "Could an orc be loosely based off of a northman on the 'Thirteenth Warrior' and be in line with the game?".
Haven't seen the movie, but I would say that there are some distinct differences between KoD orcs and vikings (although Eyros orcs are a bit more similar to vikings). First, the Northlands are rather dry plains and hills turning into mountains as you get further north, and the vikings were known for their seafaring nature. Second, the orcs are evil and ruthless while the vikings were merciless to enemies but yet they were honourable amongst themselves and even sometimes set up cities in areas they invaded (like Ireland), thus in some ways acting as both a barbarian invasion and a source of culture and trade. Third, the orcs are typically cannibalistic and have a belief system that is a mix of worship of the orc pantheon of gods and a spirit/zombie worship similar to Voodoo, while the vikings typically worshipped the Norse pantheon.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Alignments allowed?

Forgot to answer this. I'm generally open with alignment, and I even allowed the Elven Wizard character in my face-to-face version of this game to roleplay his descent from Lawful Neutral to Lawful Evil servitor of Bel, Lord of the First (they told him not to summon that imp!). However, the other PCs may not be as open to your alignment choice as I am. If I have two games, I'll try to not put the Paladin with the morally ambiguous Necromancer who is still fighting on the same side as the heroes...for now.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I never realy post much here, so you might not want to pick me

Who're you? Title says Tavern Coordinator, so does that mean you're some drunk or something?

I know you said Changelings were fine, and the Recaster was fine. I don't think you'd have a problem with the Chamelion, but not sure, depends on your view of the Able Learner feat (All Cross Class Skills are 1 SP instead of 2, still limited appripriately

Able Learner is fine and Chameleons are fine. I think Chameleons are pretty neat, actually, but not overpowered :) Recaster is interesting too, and I seem to remember it was also interesting but not too overpowering. Both ideas would work :)

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
...the orcs are evil and ruthless while the vikings were merciless to enemies but yet they were honourable amongst themselves and even sometimes set up cities in areas they invaded (like Ireland), thus in some ways acting as both a barbarian invasion and a source of culture and trade. Third, the orcs are typically cannibalistic and have a belief system that is a mix of worship of the orc pantheon of gods and a spirit/zombie worship similar to Voodoo, while the vikings typically worshipped the Norse pantheon.
So orcs would be the bad guys in the movie :) , I do suggest you watch it if you get the opportunity.

A thought occured: Are there elves similar to the vikings? Seafaring barbarian-esque culture, living in somewhat cooler climates? If not, is there an undefined section of your campaign world that would lend to the development of such? If there is such a place I would enjoy greatly to advance that section of the map, the culture, and such.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord Wyrm said:
So orcs would be the bad guys in the movie :) , I do suggest you watch it if you get the opportunity.

A thought occured: Are there elves similar to the vikings? Seafaring barbarian-esque culture, living in somewhat cooler climates? If not, is there an undefined section of your campaign world that would lend to the development of such? If there is such a place I would enjoy greatly to advance that section of the map, the culture, and such.
Actually, the map gets much, much bigger than what I presented earlier (I mentioned in the other thread, the one with the poll, that much of the world is actually unexplored due to some rather daunting natural barriers that no explorer has yet survived crossing, but I've actually mapped it all out). Interestingly, the explored section of the world has no oceans, but the Wild Elves are somewhat similar to a non-evil barbarian-esque culture (admittedly, they've got jungle elements going on there too, so it isn't exactly seafaring). The closest to seafaring would be the gnomes, who live on an island in the Sea of Remorse.

Y'know, I'll actually attach a bigger map of the explored world, but characters wouldn't have much info about most of these places without some skill in Knowledge: Geography.

Note: Except for Sundaria in purple, this map is merely a physical map and does not denote political boundaries.

Attachments

• bigger map.JPG
    bigger map.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 200

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Who're you? Title says Tavern Coordinator, so does that mean you're some drunk or something?
Only when I'm at work.
Rystil Arden said:
Able Learner is fine and Chameleons are fine. I think Chameleons are pretty neat, actually, but not overpowered :) Recaster is interesting too, and I seem to remember it was also interesting but not too overpowering. Both ideas would work :)
Cool. I'll draw them both up, probably e-mail you a few questions as well when i get the chance.

Remove ads