• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Recruiting) Kiss of Darkness--Adventure in my Homebrew Setting

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
RA, comments on Chod's character?
Seems well-built for me, except a tiny nitpick that you got Spot and Search mixed up for Int and Wis. I'll hold off on commenting on the rest until it's up, of course. Very nice of you, Bront :)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
This thread is huge :eek:

Anywho I've been thinking over the weekend about some strange character concepts, so far I have come up with a Winged Feral Human* Ranger(partiallly I was inspired by the events of what happened 20 years ago in the campaign setting, i.e. some sort of magical breeding by a big nasty wizard) or a Homunculus (possibly Incarnate or awakened ) Warlock.

*The Winged Template is a +2 LA and the Feral template is +1 LA, both of these are from 'Savage Species'.

I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread so I don't know if you're still accepting submissions, or if either of these would fit into your setting.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yup, definitely huge :D

The Winged thing is kind of weird, but the Feral template part actually fits in very very closely with one of the participants in the cult 20 years ago (she likes adding the Dire prefix to things). If you switched it to a Feral Avariel (naturally winged elf), this would make even more sense. Didn't bring Savage Species with me, but it is 3.0, so I have to check it for balance (you can post the basics here), though if I find it too strong or weak, I'll just modify the abilities instead of saying 'No' straight up.

Homunculus Warlock is cool too. Perhaps he was awoken a few years ago from magical stasis in an ancient ruin like the ruins of Old Thuldyria by adventurers who stumbled across a warding magic.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Yup, definitely huge :D

The Winged thing is kind of weird, but the Feral template part actually fits in very very closely with one of the participants in the cult 20 years ago (she likes adding the Dire prefix to things). If you switched it to a Feral Avariel (naturally winged elf), this would make even more sense. Didn't bring Savage Species with me, but it is 3.0, so I have to check it for balance (you can post the basics here), though if I find it too strong or weak, I'll just modify the abilities instead of saying 'No' straight up.

Homunculus Warlock is cool too. Perhaps he was awoken a few years ago from magical stasis in an ancient ruin like the ruins of Old Thuldyria by adventurers who stumbled across a warding magic.
Thanks for the quick reply, in regards to the Feral, I seriously thought about being a Feral Avariel. But if you'd allow it, I'd rather go the Homunculus, I'd happily reduce the HD from 2 to 1 as well as dropping the Poison, if it meant he could be a Warlock at first level.

I like the idea of waking from the 'magical stasis' idea, perhaps his master was conducting a magical experiment with creating independant intelligent constructs, it would make sense to practice on a small scale (such as a homunculus) instead of going straight to the bigger Golems.

Let me know your thoughts on how this would work in your setting.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, in regards to the Feral, I seriously thought about being a Feral Avariel. But if you'd allow it, I'd rather go the Homunculus, I'd happily reduce the HD from 2 to 1 as well as dropping the Poison, if it meant he could be a Warlock at first level.

I like the idea of waking from the 'magical stasis' idea, perhaps his master was conducting a magical experiment with creating independant intelligent constructs, it would make sense to practice on a small scale (such as a homunculus) instead of going straight to the bigger Golems.

Let me know your thoughts on how this would work in your setting.
The main problem is that Homunculi are supposed to be only extensions of their master, so they didn't give the LA, but as you may have guessed from my comments that I would give Warforged LA, I think that Construct traits plus Flight and Poison would give some decent LA (and the hit dice are also balancing factors). Maybe he was an incarnate construct or whichever the one is that makes them become alive, and that is how he became independent? I don't remember exactly what Incarnate Construct did, but if it strips away all those nasty Construct Traits, probably 2 HD of Construct +1 LA (compare to Pseudodragon) will be fair :)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
The main problem is that Homunculi are supposed to be only extensions of their master, so they didn't give the LA, but as you may have guessed from my comments that I would give Warforged LA, I think that Construct traits plus Flight and Poison would give some decent LA (and the hit dice are also balancing factors). Maybe he was an incarnate construct or whichever the one is that makes them become alive, and that is how he became independent? I don't remember exactly what Incarnate Construct did, but if it strips away all those nasty Construct Traits, probably 2 HD of Construct +1 LA (compare to Pseudodragon) will be fair :)
According to the Savage Species rules on determining LA's, the Homunculus would have the following LA factors:
Tiny Size: -1 LA
Construct:+1
Flight(50'(good)):+2 (it would be +1 if the manuverability was less than good)
Poison: +1
Which equates to a LA of +3, which is what the Savage Species puts it at.

If the Homunculus is Incarnate (type changed from construct to humanoid) then the following LA's would apply:

Tiny -1LA
Flight:+2 LA

Also becoming Incarnate has the following effects:
HD changed from d10 to d8
SA: Lose all special attacks (poison)
SQ: Lose all special qualities (Construct traits, darkvision, lowlight vision)
Skills: no skills (normally has skills points based on Int)
Feats: no feats (normally has 1 feat)
LA:-2 (+3 normal LA -2 = +1 LA)

I'm happy for my Homunculus to lose the construct and poison abilities, what I propose is that my Homunculus was a prototype for converting constructs into living creatures, as such his creator created a lesser type of construct, one with the usual abilities but with only 1HD, this would then allow me to exchange the 1 humanoid level with a class level, so that my homunculus has skills and feats as a 1st level character, and has a +1 LA adjustment due to the ability to fly.

Perhaps we could drop the manueverability class to Average at 1st level, and allow it to improve to good at 2nd level, This would then spreadout the +1 LA over 2 levels.

Let me know what you think, then I'll post my completed character sheet.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
According to the Savage Species rules on determining LA's, the Homunculus would have the following LA factors:
Tiny Size: -1 LA
Construct:+1
Flight(50'(good)):+2 (it would be +1 if the manuverability was less than good)
Poison: +1
Which equates to a LA of +3, which is what the Savage Species puts it at.

If the Homunculus is Incarnate (type changed from construct to humanoid) then the following LA's would apply:

Tiny -1LA
Flight:+2 LA

Also becoming Incarnate has the following effects:
HD changed from d10 to d8
SA: Lose all special attacks (poison)
SQ: Lose all special qualities (Construct traits, darkvision, lowlight vision)
Skills: no skills (normally has skills points based on Int)
Feats: no feats (normally has 1 feat)
LA:-2 (+3 normal LA -2 = +1 LA)

I'm happy for my Homunculus to lose the construct and poison abilities, what I propose is that my Homunculus was a prototype for converting constructs into living creatures, as such his creator created a lesser type of construct, one with the usual abilities but with only 1HD, this would then allow me to exchange the 1 humanoid level with a class level, so that my homunculus has skills and feats as a 1st level character, and has a +1 LA adjustment due to the ability to fly.

Perhaps we could drop the manueverability class to Average at 1st level, and allow it to improve to good at 2nd level, This would then spreadout the +1 LA over 2 levels.

Let me know what you think, then I'll post my completed character sheet.
Sure, if you drop the Poison, I agree with LA of +1 and 1 hit dice that can be switched for a class level. Here's how it would go with the Homunculus Class Levels:

Level 0 (You have your first Warlock level, and this is before you take a level in Homunculus):

-2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Wis, -4 Cha

Level 1: Flight 50 ft (good)

Remove ads