Recruiting More Players for "Legacy of the Silver Dragon" PbP

Alkaline13

First Post
In terms of comments, I think you forgot to add the basic 10 pounds for standard equipment, plus 7 pounds for the 70+ gold coins in your purse (top of p.23 in the rules). Gambler might possibly also wish to put a weight on the fishing net and the tent - as those are fairly bulky/weighty items - but other than that it seems fine.

This is why I asked! :) I'm still VERY new to this whole thing... as for the age, I'm going into this thinking that Bosco and Wil met in the past. Since Wil has been traveling and "training in thievery," he hasn't met the right girl to settle down with and has thus taken up adventuring to occupy his time (and fill his pockets). I purchased items I figured I would need if I were going camping / out in the real world. I'm assuming that if we are in a town, I could rent a room at an inn and dump off the majority of the big stuff. The fishing net was for fluff too... since Wil grew up as a fisherman's son - he might be able to use the net to catch enemies :D

"I'll join whatever group needs a dirty, stinking, thief... and if they have enough coin to afford me!"

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Up to you of course. Do note that all of the original party members (Mysthyr, Muzdin, Stellan, Bosco and Antares) are young though (Antares, for example, is the elven equivalent of 16 or 17 years old). They are childhood friends who have just formed their first adventuring party in the past week and gone on their first official adventure today. Most of them (I would have assumed all of them, but I could be mistaken, of course), have never even left their home town of Ascadar (to make those first steps outside the walls even more thrilling :)). This links well with their level 1 status, which is usually taken to represent journeyman/just out of apprentiship levels of competence. Young professionnals would be around level 3, and true professionals around levels 5-6. Above that you're entering senior, hero and then legend territory. :)

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Alkaline13, looks good... I would definitely suggest not carrying everything around all the time, as I would rule it in the 76-100 lbs range without including any treasure. :) I have no problem with Wil getting into adventuring at an older age.. not everyone has to be childhood friends.

I'm not sure if we really have enough for a 'hack and slash' group right now, but you're welcome to have heard about the incident at the well in the last IC mission the group did - the news will travel fast, though the specifics will be wildly inaccurate most likely. :)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Just to be clear, it's not so much a question of age so much as a question of easy integration into the ongoing story. A roleplaying game is like a story we tell each other, and nothing ruins a story or a movie faster (for me at least) than things that don't make In Character sense (i.e. characters acting out of character for no visible reasons).

Sadly, the worst offender in roleplaying games is usually integration of new PCs: the 'you're a PC too? Join our group then' syndrome, or the much dreaded 'why do we adventure with this jerk exactly?' with no other possible answer than 'because he's a PC'. (I've had at least one game nearly go down in flames because of this, so I might be more sensitive to it than others, but there you have it.) So play a full grown adult or an octogenarian or a three ton goblin giant, Alkaline, doesn't really matter so long as he or she has a good reason(s) for wanting to adventure/associate with the other PCs, and they have good reasons to associate with him or her. You'll be much happier with clearly defined place in the scheme of things, trust me :).

So my question, I guess, then becomes: why would a fully grown professional criminal associate with idealistic teenagers (well, at least two of them are idealistic -- three if you count Mysthyr, in his own way :)) who are likely not going to specifically hire him for his services -- especially if they ever find out about the 'criminal' part?

[sblock=My take (entirely optional)]If we say that our goal is to design a character that's likely to be joining the main party (and be happy there), I would personnaly suggest turning back the clock on your PC a bit: don't just make him 18, turn him back to how he was when he was 18: thrill seeker, tried a few stunts/stealing, but not yet chosen a criminal carreer. Trying to join an adventuring company that's just made a splash/he's just heard about could make a lot of sense then, especially if he knows (however vaguely) one of the existing members (dealer's choice which one :)).

I'd also suggest giving him a reason to be in Askadar, specifically. This could go by way of tweaking his background to make his hometown Askadar (there's bound to be lakes and rivers nearby, right? (big ones? would have to ask Gambler), so he can still come from a fisherman background, with maybe even his pa/grandpa/'uncle'/actual aunt having actually sailed on the brimy seas and regaling him with incredible stories if you still want to have those in place?), or his parents can have (a few years ago/relatively recently?) moved from Osvale to Askadar, for whatever reason, taking Wilben with them? Seeking something specific here is also a possibility (say a relative that, it turns out, has been disappeared by the White Things? That could give you a very good reason indeed to get deeply interrested in what the party is doing.). Mix and match as needed.

That way he has both motivation to join and a reason to be there to have the opportunity to join.

(And I still think two thieves would make for some very interresting stories! But that's entirely up to you, Gambler and Whizbang, of course :))[/sblock]

gambler1650

Explorer
Alkaline13 (and others): If you don't take everything with you on any given expedition, simply break your character sheet up into two parts for equipment. One part with the 'always take with you' equipment, and one part with the 'leave in your residence'...

Alkaline13

First Post
Ok, I just figure if I were a real life adventurer, I'd buy a bunch of stuff I don't need - especially of I were just starting out. Sort if like the first day of school as a kid...

Remove ads