Red Hand of Doom

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
Since I was planning on an Arcana Evolved spellcaster, and given the fact that there are fundamental difference between the AE and D&D spellcasting systems, I'll play a character that is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, a ranger/cleric/half-elf paragon. The half-elf paragon is available online at the d20srd.org page. I'll just post the background here and await your approval before posting the crunch.

Appearance: Andreena is small and slight of build, but is much stronger than she appears. Those who shake her hand might comment on her firm grip, and those orcs or goblins or highwaymen who have underestimated her have done so at the ultimate price.

Personality: Andreena is a relaxed and reserved character, always taking new experiences in stride. Her multitude of skills and ability with magic and blade make her confident that she can face whatever challenges life may throw her way. She likes to dance and play the fiddle, and will do either when presented the opportunity.

Background:Andreena's human mother, an herbalist, brought her up with a love of nature and learning. She has never seen her elven father, or knows if he is still alive. Andreena (Andie to her friends) is as close to epitomizing the proverbial jack-of-all-trades as one could possibly get, having apprenticed as a carpenter, painter, herbalist, innkeeper, scribe and sailor, and showing skill as a dancer and violin player. She spent most of her early adventuring days traveling from town to town, offering whatever one of her numerous trade skills might be needed. And of course, when things got ugly, she could always use one of her more impressive skills, that with a bastard sword. One day, she found an enclave of Ehlonnan clergy in need of a carpenter. The Lady of the Forests had always watched over her in her travels, so she offered to work for them. In time they offered her a place amongst them, recognizing her superior wisdom and faith. She readily accepted, as the position allowed her to continue travelling and, at the same time, give her a sense of a true calling.

Last edited:

DerHauptman

First Post
Eva -

Great, I have the info on the 1/2 paragon and the other paragons in the AE book (I think thats the one off the top of my head.

Anyway she sounds fun...

I will include some opportunities for her to use some of those skills and if you can include some more detailed backstory I will as I discussed earlier reward you with a feat and some other skill points.

Widowmaker

First Post
Here is a copy of my character. I sent you an email with some of the info.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Darius Sharpe
[B]Class:[/B] Warblade 5
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Chaotic Good
[B]Deity:[/B] Kord

[B]Str:[/B] 16 +3 		[B]Level:[/B] 5	[B]XP[/B]: 12250
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 		[B]BAB:[/B] +5		[B]HP:[/B] 53 (1d12+5)
[B]Con:[/B] 12 +1 		[B]Grapple:[/B] +8	[B]Dmg Red:[/B] None
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 		[B]Speed:[/B] 30'	[B]Spell Res:[/B] None
[B]Wis:[/B] 11 +0 		[B]Init:[/B] +5	[B]Spell Save:[/B] 
[B]Cha:[/B] 12 +1 		[B]ACP:[/B] -0		[B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%
				[B]Craft Points:[/B] 

[B]		Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+5	+2	+2	+0	+0	+X	19
[B]Touch:[/B]	12	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 17

[B]	Base	Mod	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	4	+1	+0	+6
[B]Ref:[/B]	1	+2	+2	+5
[B]Will:[/B]	1	+0	+0	+1
[B]Notes:[/B] Battle Clarity (Ex) - Class Ability

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical[/B]
Longsword +1		+10	1d8+5	19-20/x2
Spike Guanlets		+8	1d4+3	20/x2
Heavy Shield Spikes	+8	1d6+3	20/x2
Throwing Axe		+7	1d6+3	20/x2	10 feet
[B]Notes:[/B] 	Battle Ardor (Ex) +2 to confirm Crtical
		Longsword +1

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Goblin

[B]Abilities:[/B] Weapon and Armor Proficiency (Simple & Martial Melee Weapon/Light & Medium Armor 
and all shields except tower), Manuevers, Stances, Battle Clarity (Ex), Weapon Aptitude (Ex), 
Uncanny Dodge (Ex),Battle Ardor (Ex) 

[B]Feats: [/B] Weapon Focus (Longsword), Improved Intitative, Ironheart Aura, Blade Meditation*

[B]Manuevers Readied [/B] 4
[B]Manuevers Known[/B] 1st - 3 2nd - 2 3rd -1
	1st - Steel Wind (Strike)*, Steel Strike (Strike)*, Sudden Leap (Boost) 
	2nd - Wall of Blades (Counter), Rabid Wolf Strike (Strike) 
	3rd - Exorsicm of Steel (Strike)*
*- +1 Damage

[B]Stances Known:[/B] 2
	1st - Punishing Stance
	3rd - Absolute Steel Stance

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 42	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 8/4
[B]Skills		Ranks	Mod	Misc 	Total[/B]
Balance 		6	+2	+4	+12
Climb			2	+3		+5
Concentration		2	+2		+4
Diplomacy		4	+1		+5
Intimidate		6	+1		+7
Jump			6	+3	+2	+11
Knowledge (History)	6	+2		+8
Martial Lore		4	+2		+6
Tumble			6	+2	+2	+10	
[B]Notes:[/B]

[B]Equipment:		Cost	Weight[/B]
Longsword +1		2315gp	4 lb
Elven Chainmail		4150gp	20lb
Handy Haversack		2000gp	2 lb
Heavy Steel Shield	30  gp	20lb
Spiked Gaunlets         10  gp  2 lb
Throwing Axe (2)	16  gp  4 lb
Belt Pouch		1   gp	.5lb
Bedroll			1   sp	1 lb
Flint & Steel		1   gp  -
Silk Rope		10  gp	5 lb
Everburning Torch	110 gp	1 lb
Trail Rations 10 days   5   gp  10lb
Waterskin		1   gp  4 lb	
Cure Light Wounds (4)	200 gp  -

[B]Total Weight:[/B]73.5lb/52lb	[B]Money:[/B] 150gp 9sp 

[B]			Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	76	153	230	230	1150

[B]Age:[/B]	20 
[B]Height:[/B] 	6' 3"
[B]Weight:[/B] 	171
[B]Eyes:[/B] 	Green
[B]Hair:[/B] 	Light Brown
[B]Skin:[/B] 	Olive

Appearance: An above average height man with olive complextion. He wears his light brown hair short
on the front and sides, but long and tied in the back. He has a hawkish sleek nose and guant cheeks. His
emerald green eyes stand out. He is well built and muscular but not overbearing. He moves with the grace of
trained dancer. He tends to wear red, black, and green clothing of good quality.

Personality:
Darius is a quiest and thoughtful man. He shines though in two areas, battle and diplomacy. He loves the
feel of both. While either on the battlefield or court, Darius takes both very seriously. Both are works of
art. If Darius has a downfall it is his pride. He cannot stand being slighted. He hates nobles that bully
and belittle those under them. One day his name will be heralded by bards everywhere.

Background: Darius Sharpe only remembered being an orphan.

During his younger years he was a bully. Beating up other kids to survive. Either taking there money or
food or whatever. As he grew he tried to use his size to his advantage. Most of the time he would use what
little he had collected to spend in the bar. He would listen to the stories the Bard's would tell of heroes.
His favorite story was the one about the Prince of Swords known as Sharpe.

One day he challenged an older man he thought was weak and small. The man bested Darius quickly. Darius tried
again and again to beat the man, but failed everytime. Seeing the youth was not going to give up, the man
finally beat the youth into submission. He gave Darius a choice learn how to fight or die. The choice was
simply, learn how to fight.

For the next five years Darius became Sharpe's apprentice. At first he did menial tasks. Darius grew frustrated
and almost gave up, but his pride would not let him. After a year of this Darius had proven he was not willing
to give up. Sharpe then began to teach young Darius the way of the sword. Not just how to use the sword, but
to harness the magic of the sword. Most warrior learn how to use a sword, but could not understand there was
a relationship between the wielder and the weapon. Only once you opened yourself and heard the calling could
you feel the magic.

At first Darius could not understand. He tried and tried, but could not feel the magic. During a trip to a
nobles court Darius found the magic. Sad to say though he had to kill another person for the calling to appear.
During a sparring lesson Darius became frusrated and angered as the noble's son kept telling him that he was
the worst swordsman ever. Darius finally began to feel the magic flow through. In that moment time stopped and
the duel became a work of art. In the end Darius sliced through his sparring partner. Not knowing what he had
done until it was to late. Darius had found the magic, but at the cost of another man's life.

After five years of apprenticship Shapre deemed Darius ready to find his own way. Sharpe gave Darius the
ultimate gift. He gave Darius his last name. Over the last few years Darius has gained a small reputaion as
a fearsome and skilled swordsman. No where near as good as Sharpe. But one day he will be as good as his
master.

Mr_Spicoli

Explorer
Very interested, been wanting to play this campaign for a while now. What would be a more useful class for this campaign? It looks like there is at least one arcane spellcaster and a warlock, we don't want to overlap on classes correct?

If it is alright to play another arcane spellcaster I would like to play a mage prepping for Mystic Thuerge mage/cleric prestige class. Otherwise considering a Warmage for an arcane class.

If it is better idea to play another type of class, then I would like to play either a Paladin or Favored Soul with high diplomacy skill.

Any guidance before I post a character?

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
I give you the crunch, and a bit of expansion of her background, including most prominently a name for Andie's favored weapon.

Code:
[B]Name: Andreena Colvin[/B] 
[B]Class:[/B] Ranger 1 / cleric 2 / half-elf paragon 2
[B]Race:[/B] half-elf
[B]Size:[/B] m
[B]Gender:[/B] f
[B]Alignment:[/B] neutral good
[B]Deity:[/B] Ehlonna ([B]Domains:[/B] Good, Plant)

[B]Str:[/B] 13 +1 	[B]Level:[/B] 5	[B]XP[/B]: 12500
[B]Dex:[/B] 12 +1 	[B]BAB:[/B] +3		[B]HP:[/B] 31 (5d8+5)
[B]Con:[/B] 12 +1 	[B]Grapple:[/B] +3	[B]Dmg Red:[/B] None
[B]Int:[/B] 15 +2 	[B]Speed:[/B] 20'	[B]Spell Res:[/B] None
[B]Wis:[/B] 18 +4 	[B]Init:[/B] +1	[B]Spell Save:[/B] XX
[B]Cha:[/B] 16 +3 	[B]ACP:[/B] -5		[B]Spell Fail:[/B] X%
			[B]Craft Points:[/B] XXX

[B]	Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+7	+2	+1	+0	+0	+0	20
[B]Touch:[/B]	11	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 19

[B]	Base	Mod	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	5	+1		+6
[B]Ref:[/B]	5	+1		+6
[B]Will:[/B]	3	+4		+7
[B]Notes: [/b]

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical[/B]
+1 bastard sword "Meishnaer"	+5	1d10+2	19-20/*2
mw shortsword		+5	1d6+1	19-20/*2
mw dagger		+5	1d4+1	19-20/*2
mw mighty comp longbow  +5	1d8+1   20/*3
[B]Notes:[/B]

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, elven, celestial, sylvan

[B]Abilities:[/B] turn undead level 2, rebuke plants level 2, good spells at +1 level, knowledge (nature) cleric class skill,
elven vision (+2 to spot and search), persuasion (+3 bonus to diplomacy and gather info, +2 to all other cha-based skills)
divided ancestry (may take levels in elf paragon or human paragon, but not both), favored enemy giants +1, wild empathy +2

[B]Feats: [/B] exotic weapon (bastard sword), jack of all trades, practiced spellcaster, track

[B]Spells prepared[/B] (Save DC 14 + spell level; 4/3+1/2+1): 0 - 4, create water, detect magic, light, read magic; 1st - 3+1, bless, entropic shield, 
remove fear, protection from evil (D); 2nd - 2+1, barkskin (D), hold person, sound burst

[B]Skill Points:[/B] XX	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] X/X
[B]Skills		Ranks	Mod	Misc 	Total[/B]
concentration		4	+1	0	+5
craft (carpentry)	2	+2	+2	+6
craft (painting)	2	+2	+2	+6
knowledge (nature)	4	+2		+6
listen			6	+4	+1	+11
profession (herbalist)	1	+4		+5
profession (innkeeper)	1	+4		+5
profession (sailor)	1	+4		+5
profession (scribe)	1	+4		+5
search			4	+2	+2	+8
spot			4	+4	+2	+10
survival		4	+4		+8
knowledge (religion)	4	+2		+6
diplomacy		5	+3	+3	+11
perform (dance)		2	+3	+2	+7
perform (stringed instruments)2	+3	+4	+9
bluff 			3	+3	+2	+8
spellcraft			4	+2		+6

[B]Notes: may use any skill, even untrained skills, due to jack of all trades feat[/B]

[B]Equipment:		Cost	Weight[/B]
bastard sword +1 "Meishnaer"	2335gp	6lb
mw short sword		310gp	2lb
mw dagger		302gp	1 lb
mw mighty composite longbow +1 str	500gp	3lb
+1 banded mail		1400gp	35lb
+1 light steel shield		1159gp	6lb
40 arrows		2 gp	6lb
handy haversack 	2000 gp	5lb
potion of barkskin +2	300 gp*
3 potions of shield of faith +2 150 gp*
3 potions of cure light wounds 150 gp*
bedroll			1 sp	5 lb*
3 days trail rations	15 sp	3lb*
waterskin		1 gp	4lb*
sack			1 sp	0.5 lb
flint and steel		1 gp
travelers outfit	free	0lb
clerics vestment	5 gp	6lb*
silver holy symbol (ehlonna) 25 gp 1 lb
leather armor		10 gp	15 lb*
mw carpentry tools	55 gp	5lb*
mw painter's tools	55 gp	5lb*
mw violin		100 gp	3 lb*
116 GP 3 SP			2.5lb*

[B]Total Weight:[/B]114lb, 65.5 carried, 48.5 in haversack	[B]Money:[/B] 116gp 3sp 0cp

[B]		Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	50	100	150	300	750

[B]Age:24[/B] 
[B]Height:5'1[/B] 
[B]Weight:105[/B] 
[B]Eyes:brown[/B] 
[B]Hair:brown[/B] 
[B]Skin:light[/B]

Appearance: Andreena is small and slight of build, but is much stronger than she appears. Indeed one needs good forearm strength to wield Meishnaer as a typical arming sword. Her ears are almost elven-length, but her brown eyes will readily reveal her human side. Those who shake her hand might comment on her firm grip, and those orcs or goblins or highwaymen who have underestimated her have done so at the ultimate price, at the business end of Meishnaer.

Personality: Andreena is a relaxed and reserved character, always taking new experiences in stride. Her multitude of skills and ability with magic and blade make her confident that she can face whatever challenges life may throw her way. She likes to dance and play the fiddle, and will do either when presented the opportunity. Her pack contains a number of the tools of her trades, and her favored weapon Meishnaer is never far from her side. Andie does recognize the value of smaller blades in cramped quarters, so she keeps a couple well-made light weapons on hand as well. Finally, no Ehlonnan goes long without developing skill in the bow, and Andie is no exception.

Background:Andreena's human mother, the herbalist Mya Colvin, brought her up with a love of nature and learning. She has never seen her elven father, or knows if he is still alive. The only thing Andie has to remember her father by is his sword, "Meishnaer," the Goblinslayer. Andreena (Andie to her friends) is as close to epitomizing the proverbial jack-of-all-trades as one could possibly get, having apprenticed as a carpenter, painter, herbalist, innkeeper, scribe and sailor, and showing skill as a dancer and violin player. Of her many trades, she would probably have to pick painting and scribing as her favorties if she had to really pick. Many half-elves, of course, love creating works of art, and Andie is no exception. But she also inherited the love of plants and herbs that her mother had. She spent most of her early adventuring days traveling from town to town, offering whatever one of her numerous trade skills might be needed. And of course, when things got ugly, she could always use one of her more impressive skills, that with her father's bastard sword. Her mother didn't exactly approve of her swordplay, but the world of course is a tough place, and what better way to face threats to life and limb than with a formidable and magical hand-and-a-half blade in hand. One day, she found an enclave of Ehlonnan clergy in need of a carpenter. The Lady of the Forests had always watched over her in her travels, so she offered to work for them. In time they offered her a place amongst them, recognizing her superior wisdom and faith. She readily accepted, as the position allowed her to continue travelling and, at the same time, give her a sense of a true calling.

Last edited:

DerHauptman

First Post
Mr_Spicoli said:
Very interested, been wanting to play this campaign for a while now. What would be a more useful class for this campaign? It looks like there is at least one arcane spellcaster and a warlock, we don't want to overlap on classes correct?

If it is alright to play another arcane spellcaster I would like to play a mage prepping for Mystic Thuerge mage/cleric prestige class. Otherwise considering a Warmage for an arcane class.

If it is better idea to play another type of class, then I would like to play either a Paladin or Favored Soul with high diplomacy skill.

Any guidance before I post a character?

Play what you like - I'll balance the encounters to the party make-up.

DerHauptman

First Post
Moonstone Spider said:
Chalk me up as interested. I think I'd like to try playing a ninja, but I don't like the flavor text for them so I put together this backstory, tell me if it's too comedic to fit this game:

Velka:
Velka's history is always going to be entertwined with the dragon that raised him, the legendary Athaaz, known throughout the world as the stupidest dragon who ever lived. Velka was stolen by Athaaz while in a yellow basket, which Athaaz thought was made of gold. A few hours later the hungry baby kicked the lid off the basket.
Athaaz was so pleased. Proof that Athaaz was so Virile, and his seed so Potent, that he didn't even need a female Dragon to produce eggs. And Athaaz hatchling! So mighty it already knew how to cast permanent polymorph spells on itself while still in the egg!
So Athaaz tried to raise Velka and train him to be a good dragon, which didn't work particularly well, especially since Athaaz forgot who Velka was frequently. Inside Athaaz' lair (A pit around two feet deep and fifty feet wide) Velka developed supernatural survival and stealth skills to survive Athaaz' frequent battles with his own tail, and learned a great deal about dealing with locks (Because Athaaz frequently stole chests and couldn't get them open) and traps (Athaaz was planning to be ready for his tail the next time it showed up). Eventually (inevitably) Athaaz got himself killed in an epic battle (His tail apparently got several good hits in, and Athaaz was caught in his own fireball counterstrike) and Velka inherited Athaaz' treasure. This turned out to be mostly iron cauldrons because Athaaz had the crazy notion that iron cauldrons become more valuable when chopped up for scrap metal. Velka was left with a handful of treasure, no connections, and no useful life skills except hiding and disabling the traps. There's pretty much only one profession you can take with those skills. . .

Think it will be funny...never too much humor I say as long as we don't take away from the verisimiltude (damn one doesn't get to use that word enough does one?) and enjoyment of others....

If you can balance that its fine

Remove ads