Redbadge's Crypt of the Everflame (IC)

Redbadge

Explorer
Ty takes the pack gingerly and immediately heads off to Renet's Steel.

After watching him go, the mayor addresses you once more, apparently resigned to the fact that everyone will be going. “Well, I guess that is that, then. Benson?"

The other woodcutter steps up, "
If you'll follow me, please."

He leads you back into the courtyard and around to the town watch headquarters, where Captain Wisslo still stands, arms crossed while he watches the activity of the town. Along the way, you also spot Joseph's father standing in the doorway of his shop, receiving a heavy pack from Ty the woodcutter.

Wisslo steps aside as Benson ushers you inside the watch building, and the captain gives Joseph a friendly nod as you pass over the threshold. Benson leads you to the muster room, a long, narrow room with brick walls and brick floor. Benches are lined up along either side of the room, and along the wall behind them are aligned an array of lockers, hooks, and pegs.

GM:
Presumably, you all file in.

Joseph said:
And can I just take 10 on the knowledge check? If I can then I do so?

OOC: I haven't really decided. I think I'm going to default to the RAW (rules as written). In other words, it is possible to take 10 on a knowledge check, except when distracted, time-pressed, or in combat (an exception to this exception is the bard ability Lore Master which allows him to take 10 on Knowledge checks he has ranks in at any time). However, in this case, and moving forward, I think I'll say that most key conversations with NPCs count as distracting. The Knowledge (History) check at the beginning, however, would have been a good candidate for take 10, as well as any other situation in which your character is just sitting around thinking, or with which there isn't any specific context.

Redbadge

Explorer
4 Neth 4709, (9:08:48)
Muster Room, Town Watch Headquarters, Kassen, Nirmathas

"They want you to wait in here. Someone will be bringing in food a little later, I think." With that, Benson leaves you to the room. You note that you aren't prisoners or anything; he didn't even close the door behind him, and you can still faintly hear the commotion come in from the town at-large.

Seeing as you'll be confined to this room for a little over three hours, you might decide to look around. If you do so, you discover that a few of the lockers are occupied. Belts, cloaks, and pouches hang from several pegs, and heavy boots and packs are stored under the benches. You find various types of weapons, armor, and shields, and various bits of mundane gear. As Joseph can attest to, the muster room sees a lot of use.

The food, when it arrives, consists of little more than meat, bread, and cheese... probably the contents of a days trail rations, something that you'll need to get used to sooner or later. In the meantime, you wait anxiously for someone to come and fetch you for the ceremony.

GM: Now would probably be a good time to introduce yourselves to each other while you wait. You can also relay any information that you may have discovered and the other characters missed.

Last edited:

BudroThePious

First Post
Joseph introduces himself, though he is probably known at least by name to the others, and shares what he has seen and heard so far.

He then goes over to his locker and retrieves the sap he carries while on watch.

During the wait Joseph uses his whetstone to sharpen all of his bladed weapons

[sblock=Current Status]Joseph Gault (Male human fighter 1)
LN medium humanoid (human)
Str 18
Dex 13 Con 13 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10

Key Skills Acrobatics -3, Bluff +0, Climb +4, Diplomacy +0, Escape Artist -3, Handle Animal +4, Heal +1, Intimidate +0,
Knowledge (Any) +1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +5, Perception +1, Sense Motive +1, Stealth -3, Survival +5, Swim +4

Init +1 Spd 20 ft. Senses Normal vision (bright light); Perception +1
AC 16, touch 11, FF 15 HP 11/11 Temp HP 0
Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +1 CMB +5 CMD 16

Melee Attack greatsword +5 (2d6 + 6/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
Melee Attack morningstar +5 (1d8 + 6)
Melee Attack dagger +5 (1d4 + 4/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
Melee Attack sap +5 (1d6 + 4) [non-lethal]
Ranged Attack dagger (10 ft.) +2 (1d4 + 4/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
Ranged Attack shortbow (60 ft.) +2 (1d6/x3)
-Arrows: 20/20

Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
Current Armor Scale Mail
Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Greatsword, morningstar, dagger, dagger, sap, shortbow, 20 arrows, Belt Pouch, Belt Pouch
Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Flint and Steel (Belt Pouch), Whetstone (Belt Pouch), 11 gp, 3 sp, 2 cp (Belt Pouch)
Current Encumbrance 55 lbs (light load) Medium Load 100.01 lbs Heavy Load 200.01 lbs Max 300 lbs

Active Abilities
Combat Options:
Charge (full round action), Power Attack (standard action), Cleave (standard action), Quick Draw (free action)
Combat Maneuvers: Bull Rush, Dirty Trick, Disarm, Drag, Grapple, Overrun, Reposition, Steal, Sunder, Trip

Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Etharia

First Post
Lissa loosens Nyra's girth as she speaks up "I'm Lissa, this is Nyra, and I believe the Mayor is up to something" she looks off through the door with a vague expression on her face "I truly dislike surprises."

Courage

First Post
Gamble cheerfully greets everyone and returns their introductions. He is also happy to share with them his theories about the mayor and the ceremony. He thinks that that mayor has sent some villagers ahead to prepare some type of "challenge" at the tomb. He hasn't quite yet worked out what this might consist of, though.

As he waits, he pulls out his harmonica, and plays some simple, but pleasant, tunes.

Redbadge

Explorer
4 Neth 4709, Noon (12:00:00)
Town Square, Kassen, Nirmathas

At almost noon to the dot, Captain Wisslo enters the room. He has pulled a simple black tunic over his other clothes, and he holds a long, lit black candle. "It is time."

He leads you out of the building, into a town square completely empty except for yourselves. He motions you forward, though he waits by the entrance of the headquarters.

As you walk further into the square, the bells atop the Temple of Erastil begin to toll their midday song, echoing throughout the quiet town of Kassen. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. Each carries a lit black candle. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd as it slowly parts to let Mayor Uptal through. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

Once he reaches the center of the crowd, Mayor Uptal stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk. “
Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in our shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was one hundred and seventy-four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen’s tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?

At this point the mayor pauses to let you come forth to accept your mission. As you approach, he asks loudly and ceremoniously, "
Who is to have the honor of carrying the ancient silver lantern?" He does not wait for a response and immediately hands it to the human. "Bring the fire back to Kassen, Joseph."

Now, he motions to the cart, where four backpacks sit ready for you.

GM: You can go ahead and make your selections. Unless you make some special pretense of examining the packs, who gets which initially will be determined randomly.

Last edited:

Etharia

First Post
Lissa promptly moves forward as Uptal starts talking and starts to look through the gear, ignoring the mayor entirely. Once she chooses a pack she starts transferring the gear to her saddle bags after tightening Nyra's girth.

OOC: I've decided to dislike the mayor.

Last edited:

BudroThePious

First Post
Joseph waits for the others to take a pack before picking up the last one and making sure that the lantern is fastened to it and slinging the pack over his shoulder.

Joseph looks around once and then heads out of town to start the walk to the Crypt of the Everflame.

Redbadge

Explorer
You search through the backpacks on the cart, discovering the following:

Backpack A: Trail Rations (5 days), Small Tent, Winter Blanket, Waterskin (Full), Piece of Trail Map, Hempen Rope (50')

Backpack B: Trail Rations (5 days), Small Tent, Winter Blanket, Waterskin (Full), Piece of Trail Map, Potion of Cure Light Wounds (labeled)

Backpack C: Trail Rations (5 days), Small Tent, Winter Blanket, Waterskin (Full), Piece of Trail Map, Small Bottle of Local Brandy, Box of Tinder and Three Tindertwigs

Backpack D: Trail Rations (5 days), Small Tent, Winter Blanket, Waterskin (Full), Piece of Trail Map, Grappling Hook, Three Torches

As you go about reviewing the items, The mayor once again speaks to the townsfolk. “I present to you the brave heroes who will follow in Kassen’s footsteps to retrieve the Everflame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire.” With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen’s tomb. The townsfolk begin waving goodbye with cold, solemn looks on most of their faces.

Remove ads