Redbadge's Crypt of the Everflame (IC)

Courage

First Post
Gamble will strap on his buckler (you never know). Since we can't all walk four abreast, the gnome prefers to walk in the back where he can best make use of his ranged attacks and spellcasting. I won't regale the party with my harmonica skills just yet, so it stays stowed, along with my weapons.

OOC: I can either take 10 on the Geography check, for a guaranteed look at the Nirmathas map (+5 knowledge), or I can chance it and roll for the more detailed map. What do you guys think?

[sblock=Actions]Move Action: Retrieve buckler.
Move Action: Ready buckler.[/sblock][sblock=Current Status] Gamble Benguile (Male gnome bard 1)
CG small humanoid (gnome)
Str 8
Dex 14 Con 10 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 18

Key Skills Acrobatics +0, Bluff +8, Climb -3, Diplomacy +8, Escape Artist +0, Heal +1, Knowledge (Local) +7, Knowledge (Any) +3, Perception +7, Perform (wind instruments or act) +8, Sense Motive +1, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +8, Swim -3

Init +2 Spd 20 ft. Senses Low-light vision (normal light); Perception +7
AC 17, touch 13, FF 15 (+4 dodge versus giants) HP 8/8 Temp HP 0
Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +3 CMB -2 CMD 10

Ranged Attack light crossbow (80 ft.) +3 (1d6/19-20)
-Crossbow bolts: 10/10 (crossbow unloaded)
Melee Attack dagger +0 (1d3 -1/19-20)
Misc +1 attack versus reptilians and goblinoids

Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
Current Armor Studded Leather Armor, Buckler
Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Light crossbow, 10 Crossbow Bolts, Dagger, Spell Component Pouch, Flint and Steel, Harmonica, 26 gp
Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) None
Current Encumbrance 19.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.51 lbs Heavy Load 39.76 lbs Max 60 lbs

Active Abilities
1st-Level Spells:
2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Grease)
Cantrips: ~/~
(Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic)
Spell-like Abilities: 1/1 (
Dancing Lights), 1/1 (Ghost Sound), 0/1 (Prestidigitation), 1/1 (Speak with Animals)
Bardic Performances: 14/14 (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Inspire Courage)

Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed
[/sblock]

Last edited:

BudroThePious

First Post
"Well Lissa, it looks like it comes down to what gear you want to put on Nyra and I will carry the rest," Joseph says as the group heads down the road. "I guess I can walk in front with Nyra and Snaggle and Gamble can bring up the rear."

As the sky starts to darken Joseph looks up and tries to see if he can tell what the weather is going to do.
OOC: Joseph takes 10 on his Knowledge (Geography) check. 13 result.
Joseph takes 10 on a Survival check to know what the weather is doing. 15 result.
Joseph won't walk with a weapon out since he has Quick Draw.
Will we be able to pick up enough firewood for the night once we stop or will we need to gather it as we go along?
[sblock=Current Status]
Joseph Gault (Male human fighter 1)
LN medium humanoid (human)
Str 18
Dex 13 Con 13 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10

Key Skills Acrobatics -3, Bluff +0, Climb +4, Diplomacy +0, Escape Artist -3, Handle Animal +4, Heal +1, Intimidate +0,
Knowledge (Any) +1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +5, Perception +1, Sense Motive +1, Stealth -3, Survival +5, Swim +4

Init +1 Spd 20 ft. Senses Normal vision (normal light); Perception +1
AC 16, touch 11, FF 15 HP 11/11 Temp HP 0
Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +1 CMB +5 CMD 16

Melee Attack Greatsword +5 (2d6 + 6/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
Melee Attack Morningstar +5 (1d8 + 6)
Melee Attack Dagger +5 (1d4 + 4/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
Melee Attack Sap +5 (1d6 + 4) [non-lethal]
Ranged Attack Dagger (10 ft.) +2 (1d4 + 4/19-20) [honed, +1 damage with first strike]
Ranged Attack Shortbow (60 ft.) +2 (1d6/x3)
-Arrows: 20/20

Currently Wielding Nothing (hands free)
Current Armor Scale Mail
Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Greatsword, Morningstar, Dagger, Dagger, Sap, Shortbow, 20 arrows, Belt Pouch A, Belt Pouch B, Silver Lantern, Backpack A, Backpack B, Backpack C
Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Flint and Steel (Belt Pouch A), Whetstone (Belt Pouch A), 11 gp, 3 sp, 2 cp (Belt Pouch B), Contents of Backpack A (Secured Silver Lantern, Map to the Crypt, Small Tent, Winter Blanket, 5 Days' Rations, Full Waterskin, Potion of Cure Light Wounds), Contents of Backpack B (Small Tent, Winter Blanket, 5 Days' Rations, Full Waterskin, Bottle of Local Brandy, Tinderbox and 3 Tindertwigs), Contents of Backpack C (Small Tent, Winter Blanket, 5 Days' Rations, Full Waterskin, Grappling Hook, 3 Torches)
Current Encumbrance 167 lbs (medium load) Medium Load 100.01 lbs Heavy Load 200.01 lbs Max 300 lbs

Active Abilities
Combat Options:
Charge (full round action), Power Attack (standard action), Cleave (standard action), Quick Draw (free action)
Combat Maneuvers: Bull Rush, Dirty Trick, Disarm, Drag, Grapple, Overrun, Reposition, Steal, Sunder, Trip

Current Effects and Conditions: Flat-footed, medium encumbrance[/sblock]

Last edited:

Redbadge

Explorer
Joseph said:
Will we be able to pick up enough firewood for the night once we stop or will we need to gather it as we go along?
Setting up camp will be a DC 10 Survival check, including gathering dry wood, which there is plenty of.
Joseph said:
Joseph takes 10 on a Survival check to know what the weather is doing. 15 result.
Good call; a DC 15 Survival check let's you predict the weather 24 hours in advance. You suspect that a cold rain will be falling in the Southern Fangwood before the end of tonight.
OOC: I hope you brought your galoshes.

Last edited:

Etharia

First Post
"Perhaps we should consolidate what we can into one backpack first," Lissa says as she casts a glance back at Snaggle and Gamble. "We can toss the spares and possibly another tent to the roadside. Nyra will carry the rest," she finishes with a shrug. She then proceeds to scan the forest for edible snacks while maintaining pace with Joseph.

OOC: Wearing more than one backpack into combat seems like a bad idea. By the way my survival check is + 9 so no worries about camping.

Last edited:

BudroThePious

First Post
OOC: Alright, backpacks hold 60 pounds and my belt pouches can hold 10 pounds each. I could put the 3 tents in one backpack and hang 2 waterskins off the sides of it. If Snaggle and Gamble are OK sharing a tent and we ditch one I could conceivably put the 2 tents, 4 blankets, 2 backpacks, lantern, brandy, and tinderbox in the one backpack.
That would leave 46 lbs. with both my belt pouches mostly empty.

Last edited:

Etharia

First Post
OOC: It sounds reasonable, if bulky. Nyra can carry up to 150 for medium load and she is currently at 85 (107 with the extra gear I've already stored) with Lissa mounted. I should warn you she doesn't see the need to carry around empty backpacks that are too large for most of the team to use.

Last edited:

Redbadge

Explorer
Lissa said:
She then proceeds to scan the forest for edible snacks while maintaining pace with Joseph.
GM: Normally, you have to walk at half speed with a DC 10 to gather food for one person. However, just glancing around while moving at normal speed calls for something a little different. I'll assume you're taking 10 (to beat a DC 19).

You notice that that the squirrels and other woodland animals have, well, squirreled away many of the nuts for the winter, and you don't readily see any pecans, walnuts, or even acorns.

Likewise, you don't spot any edible plants, berries, tubers, or bulbs. However, there is one thing you can count upon, and you spot several clumps: mushrooms.
[sblock=Mushroom Clump]
mushrooms_forest.jpg
[/sblock][sblock=Mushroom Edibility, DC 15 Survival or Knowledge (Nature)]This is the yellow morel. Not only is it safe to eat, but it is very tasty, with a savory, nutty flavor. With the size of the mushrooms and the number that grow in each clump, you can quite easily provide everyone with a welcome afternoon snack.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Etharia

First Post
"Hmm what do you think Nyra," Lissa asks aloud as she heads off trail to harvest the mushrooms, "these look scrumptious."

Last edited:

BudroThePious

First Post
OOC: The 46 lbs left over are: 2 waterskins, 20 lbs trail rations, map, 50 ft rope, grappling hook, 3 torches, potion of cure light wounds. Snaggle can carry 14 more lbs. before he becomes encumbered.
OOC: Also, 20 lbs of trail rations should last longer with 3 small PC's, I would think.
OOC: Looking at the overland travel rules it looks like we could walk for 7 hours and hustle for 1 hour a day without taking a penalty for it and cover some extra ground. If we hustled for 2 hours a day we would take 1 point of non-lethal damage, but if we hustled the second hour as the last hour of travel it wouldn't make any difference unless we were attacked during that time.
OOC: Lissa's status shows she is Chaotic Good.

Last edited:

Remove ads