• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redclaws Protectors OOC

Redclaw

First Post
I think the other reason behind the forced participation is that every character should have some ability in the different areas. If the party needs to scale a cliff to get to the big fight, it isn't a good idea for one character to have an 8 strength and not train in atheletics. I see it as a way to keep someone from completely dumping a certain subset of skills. The good piece is that you usually have some leeway as to which skill you're going to use. It doesn't have to be diplomacy, as you can use bluff or intimidate, or one of the knowledge skills. That way you can play to your own strengths.

I saw it as more of a way to make the skills actually mean something without making a series of encounters that exclude half or more of the party. I know in Red Hand of Doom, there were moments where my 'face' fighter did most of the work, with a little help from our cleric, while the antisocial rogue and wizard hung back and did nothing. That's a lot of pressure to put on a couple of party members, and not a lot of fun for the rest.

I will do my best to be flexible, but I think the other half is that the days of the "I have no social skills" barbarian or fighter are gone, as are the "I can't climb the stairs" wizard. Everyone needs to be able to do something useful in every situation, and with the flexibility of the skill challenge, everyone should be able to do so.

Zurai

First Post
Redclaw said:
I think the other half is that the days of the "I have no social skills" barbarian or fighter are gone...
The problem with that is it dictates characters and character builds. Rangers can't get social skills as trained skills, for example, without using feats on them or being an Eladrin. It's not only that I saw Immeral as an 'outsider' ... the rules of the game pretty well dictated that to me. You might have a good point if there were no restrictions on which skills each class could pick, but there are - very severe restrictions in most cases. So, instead of the stated goal of getting everyone involved in the fun, it instead forces people to make choices that are counter-intuitive and counter-productive just so they don't feel they're going to let the entire group down on the off chance there's a skill challenge involving skills they aren't allowed to pick by their class.

Redclaw

First Post
Yeah. I see your point. I guess you could try to be a bit more devious in ideas for other skills. Perception works in some cases where the atheletic skills are important (spying a place to hide instead of trying to jump across a gap between buildings) and I would bet Insight would work in most social situations (I try to get a read on what Phillian's biggest concern or argument is.) If that doesn't work, Mirna's History use was fine, etc.

Zurai

First Post
Oh, I know. Like I said, I trust you to not screw us over without good reason ;) I'm just ranting a bit about the flaws in the system.

Zurai

First Post
Graf said:
Since Mirna is trying to follow the group from further back (and Immeral has't pointed her out to the rest of the group) is it reasonable for me to say that she's at 30G...?
I think Redclaw said she caught up to us at the edge of town, didn't he? I thought you were with the group. Immeral would have told you to catch up anyway as soon as he spotted you - and since his perception beats your stealth, that's kinda a foregone conclusion unless you were actively trying to hide from him.

Graf

Explorer
that was what I was asking in my prior post. Mirna is definitely trying not to overtly flaunt the instructions.
Since you didnt say anything I'd assumed..

Graf

Explorer
I suppose I should say that I didnt see Mirna just coming back like nothing had happened but that at the same time I feel like we've spent a lot of time rping will-she-come won't-she-come.

Following along behind is fast and easy.
Rewinding to roleplay Immeral calling her out and rejoining the group now seems a bit disruptive...

EvolutionKB

First Post
Although, the success rates of the skill challenges can be harsh(from what I've read), I also think "failure" can mean more interesting story. Don't forget on skill challenges you can also aid another(only DC10) to give somebody else a +2. Opening up all skills leads to creativity by the players. To use the climb the cliff example: Wizard without athletics can use knowledge nature to say: "Don't stick your piton there, that layer of stone is soft and won't hold well!"(aid another, climb).

Walking Dad

First Post
Redclaw said:
I will do my best to be flexible, but I think the other half is that the days of the "I have no social skills" barbarian or fighter are gone, as are the "I can't climb the stairs" wizard. Everyone needs to be able to do something useful in every situation, and with the flexibility of the skill challenge, everyone should be able to do so.

But where should I do my 10 (assuming standard array) if I want to play a wizard? Con and totally screw HP (being in the class with the least hp. Dex? No wand wizards and using my area atteacks everytime after all others acted? Int? Come on! Wis? No orb wizards and some of the better feats, heal and perception. Cha? Being screwed in socila skill challenges.
So, do I have to use my first level feat to aquire skill training in athletics?

BTW: The old 'can't climb the stairs' was the fighter in heav plate trying balance checks.

Remove ads