• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redclaws Protectors OOC

Redclaw

First Post
Walking Dad said:
BTW: The old 'can't climb the stairs' was the fighter in heav plate trying balance checks.
My fighters usually had trouble crossing bridges or patches of ice, personally. :D

As for the dump stat, that's one reason the standard array doesn't have an 8 anymore, and it's also why they combined so many skills, IMHO. Now instead of climb, balance, swim, jump, tumble you've got atheletics and acrobatics, and you can usually use either one. Back to the cliff scenario, the fighter might use atheletics to pull himself up, rock-climbing style while they rogue use acrobatics to jump from perch to perch. I guess what I would say is that in most cases people should be trying to train in either Atheletics or Acrobatics, and to pick up at least one social skill. If not, you just need to be creative with using your other skills. It puts the cleric, ranger, warlock and wizard at a disadvantage, as they don't have access to one group or the other, but a single feat overcomes it. Besides, you're likely to have some points in Dex or Str, and in Cha, Wis (Insight) or Int (knowledges) to make sure that you're not at a +0 for all of the rolls.

Regardless, I agree with Zurai and the rest of you that the system isn't perfect. However, I kind of like the possibilities, and I definitely prefer it to "All right Sir Smites-a-lot, you take the diplomacy checks and we'll go sit in the corner". ;)

Walking Dad

First Post
Redclaw said:

Regardless, I agree with Zurai and the rest of you that the system isn't perfect. However, I kind of like the possibilities, and I definitely prefer it to "All right Sir Smites-a-lot, you take the diplomacy checks and we'll go sit in the corner". ;)

Just include skills we have in the list, so we don't have the penality to use them. ;)

Redclaw

First Post
Sorry, I'm not going to make sure that everyone has one of the primary skills for each challenge. It wouldn't be much of a challenge then, would it? That's like saying, "My fighter uses a flaming greatsword, so make sure we don't fight any creatures that are immune to fire damage." ;)

The challenge lies in overcoming the penalty, or working around it.

Walking Dad

First Post
Note the ;)

But is reasonable to include some more skills to be used. Maybe arcane to tell Phillian about the merits of unconventionel learning trips.

Redclaw

First Post
That's where the creativity comes into play. The DMG suggests that there should be a few (roughly 3) primary skills that are most tied into the challenge. Others are a bit harder to use effectively, with higher DCs, but still viable. I thought about this challenge, and bluff and diplomacy seemed natural fits, then I added Nature as the goal was to get Phillian to okay her journey into the forest. Arcana could have worked, but it didn't seem as clear a fit, so it wasn't one of the primaries.

In general, I will try to privide a bit of variety in the primary skills, so that it's not just socials or physicals, but always know that you can try something not listed, as long as you come up with a good way to make it fit.

Walking Dad

First Post
Little rules nitpick: They should really changed bluff and diplomacy to persuasion

curious situation: If you don't believe my honest advice, I have to lie to you to make you trust me.

Trained in bluff but not diplomacy.

Graf

Explorer
I think it's probably to avoid having an "uber" social skill.
I did want to train Mirna in Athletics too... but I figured that she's out of shape compared with her tomboy youth with all the reading (that was going to be my 2nd level feat).

Personally I don't think it's strange that they made it harder to dump social skills; some games I've seen struggle with the "outcast band of misanthrope loners make for poor roleplaying" thing mostly b/c everyone's cha is 8.

Redclaw

First Post
[sblock=Graf] I understand that you're trying to stay in character by following behind, and I am trying to work with you on that, but please try to respect the start areas in the future. The idea here was that the group wouldn't see the kobolds until they got to that spot, and while Mirna has moved close enough to see the fire beetle and one of the kobolds, she's still very much unable to see most of the action (see the attached map). You're using your knowledge of the map, which she doesn't have, to plan your action.

She can see all of the squares that her burst will affect, and she has line of effect to the chosen square, so I'll allow it, but separating yourself from the group, and going beyond the setup guidelines that I gave, makes things a bit more challenging for your friendly neighborhood DM. :D [/sblock]

Attachments

• Forest Path(Mirna).xls
    17 KB · Views: 73

Remove ads