Redclaw's Young Rebels OOC

renau1g

First Post
Zweischneid said:
Yes, and 4 martial characters supported only by Galdr the Wizard.
Not much 'flash' and 'mysticism' here. This should really put the system to test on the viability of such a grouping in 4e. Getting the best synergies out of Corbin and Akara will be key, no doubt. If it works, this'll play out in an interesting, no-nonsense strike-team fashion in the fights I would guess.

And storywise, there're lots of scars and open scores in the group. :cool:

Yeah, we have a strike-filled team, not that I don't think Jaden won't be an effective tank (or at least we'll see in 4e if a halfling can be a fighter) ;).

Re: Healing surges, I thought they said a cleric wasn't necesary for survival as previous editions it was.

I've updated my Character so far (corrected the two 13's) Redclaw.

WarlockLord

First Post
Sorry I'm late.

BTW, I'll set Gladr up to do all rituals. Not much low-level healing, though.

Galdr, Tiefling Wizard

Background:
When Galdr was born, his parents noted an odd, spider-shaped birthmark on his left shoulder, which, upon his mother touching it, burned her hand. As a consequence, his parents neglected the young tiefling.

The young tiefling was taken in by his grandfather, a teifling wizard who wished to restore the magical glory of the old tiefling empire. To this end, he trained his grandson. Gramps was resentful of Phillian's exalted status as the town wizard, and spied on him. Gramps was found out and Phillian humiliatingly banished him from the town. The young tiefling was ashamed and vowed that one day, he would get revenge.

Then, one day, Gladr was out cleaning the walk of his grandfather's house which had been left to him. A neighbor's mastiff had escaped the day before and suddenly appeared. It advanced on the boy, fangs slobbering with white foam. The boy panicked and called forth...something. The dog threw it's head back and yowled as though enduring the very essence of pain itself. In this fashion Gladr learned he was also a warlock.

Appearance and Personality
Gladr is 6 feet tall, with curling's rams horns, red skin, and a tail. He is calm and slow to anger, but has a fiery temper when roused. He usually wisecracks about everything and suffers an apparent inability to take anything seriously. As the wizard in an otherwise martial group, he brags that he "makes all the magic happen."

[sblock=stats]
Str 10, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 16

Skills: Arcana +9, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Nature +9, Religion +9, Stealth +3
Feats: Fey Pact Initiate, Ritual Casting

HP: 10. Bloodied: 5
Healing Surges: 6 (heals 2)
Speed 6, Init +1

Defenses: AC 14, Fort 10, Ref 14, Will 15

Languages: Common, Elven

Misc Passive: Fire Resist 5, Bloodhunt (+1 to attack bloodied foes), low-light vision, wand of accuracy (add +1 to 1 atk per encounter), cantrips

Powers:
At will:
Magic Missile (+4 vs Ref, 2d4+4 force dmg, range 20, basic atk)
Scorching Burst (+4 vs Ref, 1d6+4 fire dmg, burst 1 within 10 squares)

Encounter:
Burning Hands (+4 vs Ref, 2d6+4 fire dmg, close blast 5)
Infernal Wrath (Minor action, +1 to atk against enemy who hit Galdr last turn, +3 extra damage)
Eyebite (+3 vs Will, 1d6+3 psychic dmg, invisible to enemy till end of next turn)

Daily (pick one)
Acid Arrow (+4 atk vs Ref, 2d8+4 acid, ongoing 5, secondary 1d8+4, ongoing 5, miss, 1/2 dmg & ongoing 2, no secondary. Range 20)
Sleep (+4 atk vs Will, target slowed, if first save failed target unconscious. Miss, slowed. Range 20, burst 2)

Rituals: Animal Messenger, Tenser's Floating Disk, Comprehend Languages

Possessions: Spellbook, Wand, Adventurer's Kit, Cloth 'Armor', 1 component for Comprehend Languages, 1 component for Tenser's Floating Disk, 7 gp
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
.... I just realized that shurikens don't qualify for any of the rogues abilities? Am I correct in that? If so, it seems ridiculous to even give any bonus with those to the rogue.

Zweischneid

First Post
renau1g said:
.... I just realized that shurikens don't qualify for any of the rogues abilities? Am I correct in that? If so, it seems ridiculous to even give any bonus with those to the rogue.

No. Shuriken are classified as 'light blade' just like your dagger. They qualify for just about any rogue exploit.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Zweischneid said:
No. Shuriken are classified as 'light blade' just like your dagger. They qualify for just about any rogue exploit.

Except they aren't melee weapons -- for that you need a dagger or a short sword as well. Some rogue feats specify melee/ranged. That's the trade for the increased shuriken die size.

I think it's cool if we try to explore what rogues can do -- if you want, I can lose powers (enc or daily) if you particularly want them and we want to synergize. It's been years since I've been in a party with two rogues! This is great.

It occurs to me that as a halfling rogue, the synergies between Nimble Reaction and Artful Dodger are incredibly powerful -- potentially +6 AC to opp attacks! Pretty cool.

Zweischneid

First Post
WarlockLord said:
As the wizard in an otherwise martial group, he brags that he "makes all the magic happen."

Now that's going to get you trouble ;)

Anyhow, I think it might be nice to explore some more potential links between the characters. From my point of view, this little conspiracy idea might offer some good mileage for the story.

[sblock=Bheazir & Galdr]
Both Bheazir and Galdr have a grandfather with a secret living on the outskirts, maybe one could turn this fluke into foresight.

If, let’s say, Bheazir’s grandfather, a Half-elf warlord-type and Galdr’s grandfather, a Tiefling Wizard share a common past, possibly having fought and adventured together at the time of the second flight. And now, two generations later, their grandsons being a Half-elf warlord and a Tiefling wizard set out together again to defy the dragon’s rule. Coincidence? Maybe those two old guys living on the fringe of Evenfall have more to hide than even Bheazir or Galdr suspect? Or maybe someone yet unknown?[/sblock]

WarlockLord? Redclaw? Opinions?

Also worked on a background passage to illustrate the link to Akhara.

[sblock=Bheazir & Akhara]
As recurring 'guest' in prison, Bheazir came to know the Dragonborn serf Akhara, who habitually spends his nights there. At first, it was mainly young Bheazir talking to the outcast Dragonborn, railing against injustice done to Evenfall and it's people or hatching poorly conceived schemes to right some wrong, as Akhara listened without comment. In time however, the Half-elf and the Dragonborn became to respect each other, Bheazir gaining some insight into the misdeeds done to Akhara, who in turn recognised a more steady sense of justice behind Bheazir’s often haywire plans. Bheazir wears a leather bag and sword belt crafted by Akhara and has become adept in speaking Draconic.[/sblock]

As for links of Bheazir to the Halflings, I'm still missing the right ideas. Corbin spent time in Evenfall befriending people before he lost his village. Even though that was before the Dragon’s wrath pushed Corben into potential defiance, if not vengeance, they might know each other in passing. You guys have some Halfling-Halfling connection planned?

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
I think it's quite possible that the two grandfathers have a connection from the past. Did your grandfathers tell you all about their adventures together and push you toward each other to carry on the tradition, or were they more subtle?

Redclaw

First Post
All right, with books in hand, here are a few notes. Of course, many of you have had the books longer than I, so if I miss something, please let me know.

All--Please put your attack numbers in, rather than just str vs AC, etc. You can leave that basic info in, but I would prefer the quick at-a-glance ability.

Zweischneid-- I'm not sure how you got a 12 on your reflex defense. Warlords don't get a ref bonus, so your +1 from your dex bonus should only put you at an 11.
--spend some more of your gold. I'm willing to let people keep up to 10 gp to start, but your equipment should be what you've accumulated over your lives so far, suggesting a slightly less-filled belt pouch. :)

Renau1g--Your fort defense should be 12 (using your strength bonus) and your will defense should be 12 (using your charisma bonus).
--Corbin should have 25 hit points (12 + con score, not con modifier). Your healing surges should heal 1/4 of that, or 6 hit points.
--Your riposte ability only works the round after you use the riposte strike at-will power. If you do something else on your turn, no riposte.
--spend some of that extra gold. You lose anything beyond 10 gp.

Kobold Stew--Fort defense should be 13 (str mod) and will should be 12 (cha mod)
--Your sling attack should, I think, be +5 (dex + 2 prof bonus)
--Sling doesn't work for riposte strike, it's melee only

Last edited:

Zweischneid

First Post
Redclaw said:
Zweischneid-- I'm not sure how you got a 12 on your reflex defense. Warlords don't get a ref bonus, so your +1 from your dex bonus should only put you at an 11.
--spend some more of your gold. I'm willing to let people keep up to 10 gp to start, but your equipment should be what you've accumulated over your lives so far, suggesting a slightly less-filled belt pouch. :)

The light shield gives a +1 to Reflex aswell.

I actually haven't been 'shopping' yet with money, just noting equipment as relevant for stats (like Reflex), i.e. armour and weapons.

How do you like the books?

Remove ads