Reducing tiefling to ECL 0

Staffan

Legend
Camarath said:
Typically elemental resistance is not found in LA +0 creatures.
Perhaps not, but I don't think it's so good as to qualify for a LA increase. Compare the suggested LA 0 tiefling to the accepted LA 0 dwarf.
Tiefling:
  • +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
  • Medium size.
  • A tiefling's base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
  • Racial skills: Tieflings have a +2 racial bonus to Bluff and Hide checks.
  • Special attacks: Darkness (see above).
  • Special qualities: One of the following resistances, determined randomly at character creation: cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5.
Dwarf:
  • +2 Con, -2 Cha.
  • Medium size
  • Base speed 20 ft, but does not get a speed penalty for armor/encumbrance.
  • Darkvision 60 ft.
  • +2 to Appraise, Craft and Search checks related to stone and metal. Gets an automatic Search roll when near unusual stonework (traps/secret doors).
  • Weapon familiarity with dwarven waraxe and dwarven urgrosh.
  • +4 to resist tripping and bull rushes when standing on the ground.
  • +2 saves vs. poisons, spells and spell-like effects (roughly 90% of all saves in the game).
  • +1 to hit orcs and goblinoids.
  • +4 Dodge AC vs. giants.
Stats are roughly equivalent. Both are Medium-size and have Darkvision. So, are the tiefling's slightly better skill bonuses (Bluff and Hide are probably used more and in more crucial situations than Appraise, Craft and limited Search), Darkness spell, elemental resistance, and faster move in light/no armor really more powerful than +2 to almost all saves, +4 AC vs. a significant amount of opponents, +1 to hit many opponents at low levels, and weapon familiarity? I think they're pretty well-balanced. The thing I'd remove if reducing the tiefling's power would likely be the Darkness ability, not the elemental resistance.

Purzel

First Post
Why not splitting the Tiefling's abilities over a few levels?

Base Tiefling: some minor abilities, worth an ECL+0
  • Speed 30ft.
  • Medium-Sized Outsider
  • Dex+2, Cha-2
  • +2 racial to Bluff and Hide
  • Favored Class: Rogue
Tiefling Level 1: 1d8 HD & the rest of the abilites to make him full Tiefling
  • Int+2
  • Darkness
  • Fire, cold and electricity resistance 5
  • Darkvision
  • (maybe 2+INT Skillpoints)
  • (maybe alignment moves one step toward evil)

Savage Species is using tables like this.

A "Base Tiefling" might not even know, what he is. Maybe he looks like a human with a curious eyecolor.

To gain the "next stage" of Tiefling the character might have to learn more about his heritage, or just getting old enough. Maybe a meeting with a fiend awakes his true nature fully.

Dunno if such Tieflings fit into your campaign. If you use this, you might even give a tiefling more additional levels just in case he wants to become more like his kin.

Example: Tiefling Level 2:
  • 1d8 hitpoints, 2+INT Skillpoints
  • Special Attacks: Smite Good
  • SR equal to double the character's total level

Staffan

Legend
kreynolds said:

Depends. Are you using the 3.5 rules? Elemental resistance 5 is a lot more powerful in 3.5 than in 3.0.
Since I was comparing it to the 3.5 dwarf, the elemental resistance ought to be 3.5 too. I still don't think it's overpowered.

I do like the suggestion of AU-like racial levels.

kreynolds

First Post
Staffan said:
I still don't think it's overpowered.

It's not that it's overpowered. Not really. For what it's worth, I figure three resistances of 5 is worth about LA 1 alone. *shrug*

EDIT: I actually figured it up at about 0.75, so there's room there.

Last edited:

Remove ads