Regular In-Person Games: How long do you travel?

How long do you travel for your in-person games

• 1 hour or less (there and back)

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • between 1-2 hours (there and back)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • between 2-3 hours (there and back)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • between 3-4 hours (there and back)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • greater than 4 hours (there and back)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • zero (I always host)

Votes: 9 24.3%

This was prompted by @Sword's comment in another thread about the time taken for him/her to travel to their in-person games, so I just wondered how long Enworlders travel these days to participate in in-person games.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
For a long time my gaming group was all within 20min one way of each other. Since pandemic folks have moved around a bit now nobody is really centrally located anymore and travel is up to 45min or so for at least one person. We have not returned to F2F :(

I do read about some people travelling 1,2,3 hours for a session. Thats some dedication and is believable in the U.S.

Ulfgeir

Hero
If I go by car, it takes maybe 50 minutes or so to drive (one way) the 65 km to the place my group play at. The time depends a bit on the traffic, but usually it is no problems on the highway. If I were to go by bus, then it is about 1h 40m one way. When I worked in Gothenburg, it still took 30+ min or so to get there by car, despite being much short distance, but then I had to go through bad traffic from the centre of the city.

TheSword

Legend
So there is a history to this. I’m from the Midlands and when I was a teenager my best friends family moved to Kent (about 3-4 hour drive away). I used to go and visit a couple of times a year for a week or so vacation and when I did I’d always jump on to his weekly D&D game in the local pub. That’s were I met @GuyBoy and others.

After a few years of that, @GuyBoy and the most engaged players in that group split off to make a more invitation only weekend group and slowly phased out weeknight games in the local. This coincided to me moving to Guildford (an hour or so away) and I started attending a regular weekend game every 3-4 weeks.

Fast forward 10 years and a job came up in Kent and I moved in with one of the DM players as a lodger for 4 and bit years. These were the golden years of gaming! Then when work took me back to the midlands it was back to commuting. It’s a long way to go but we play all Friday night and most of Saturday so it’s worth the effort. The nice thing is we generally fit 2-3 campaigns in each weekend so we get a mix of playing and DMing.

Ultimately I think sometimes you have to make an effort if you want to keep in touch with people and when you’ve been playing regularly with people for 20+ years they become friends for life! The down side is it’s harder to acquire newer players but I think that’s another way online games have been brilliant.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've had a local game group for over 25 years now and the travel time is usually 20 minutes or less from home to site, even when the site bounces between a couple of different hosts in the group. A couple of players in the surrounding bedroom communities go a little farther, but we've got decent highway connections so it's not too bad - except for the games with kids on school nights, then we go hybrid F2F/online.

I've very rarely had a longer commute to gaming aside from special occasions.

delericho

Legend
Two rooms over. :)

Back before my gaming was hugely curtailed, it would depend on the length of the game session - when we had games on a weeknight evening, my limit was half an hour each way for a 3-hour game. Before that I used to have much longer sessions on a Saturday, where I would travel 45 mins each way for a 6-hour game. I can't see that ever becoming a possibility again, at least this side of retirement.

Before going online with the pandemic, I hosted one of my games, and drove about 10 minutes for the other (finding parking, however, sometimes bumped that time up, and could be the bigger hassle).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For in-person tabletop play, usually I am the host and GM.

For live-action games, I've been known to drive through several states and get a hotel room for weekend-long campaign games.

Remove ads