Rejection for DDI article isn't so bad

vagabundo

Adventurer
Not too long to wait I suppose. My own fault for dilly dallying. Getting a personalised rejection letter from Chris Perkins really got me motivated to at least try a submission. I'm nearly more excited to get the feedback :D.

Incenjucar

Legend
Well, finally got my submission response. Kind of disappointing that the feedback was basically them not remembering their own article series existed already -"A D&D Insider Exclusive!," which was used to introduce the assassin. I expected a rejection due to the nature of the article, but when the only criticism I get back is that I have a better memory... :p

Ah well. I can finally start posting my elemental classes again.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I just got my rejection back today. Unfortunately I got scooped on the article that I wanted to write. Oh well, it was a worth trying! :)

Larrin

Entropic Good
Rejection received today as well, the reason given I focused too much on crunch I wanted to share, and not enough on the fluff to engage readers.

"For future submissions, please focus on compelling flavor. It's great if you have a cool mechanical concept, but usually, that idea needs to be secondary to something that's just really interesting to read."

*shrug* I skip 80% of the fluffy bits in dragon articles and go straight to the crunch. I certainly would have had attempted to include interesting to read fluff, I just didn't realize that should be the focus of my pitch, rather than interesting mechanics I sought to share. Seems backwards to my brain (definitely not the way I designed the concepts, I go crunch first), but a legitimate criteria upon reflection.

Ah well, fun to submit...

Shiv

Explorer
I submitted multiple proposals during the first 2011 window. I got responses to all of them. One of them was accepted and became an adventure that I finished up and sent in a few weeks ago.

I submitted multiple proposals in the last week or so of October. No responses so far. I'd like to take this as a good sign (for at least one or two of the proposals). My hope is that they're waiting to respond to everything I proposed after they've decided to accept one or two of them. :)

Yesterday, Greg Bilsland tweeted, "Plunging into the Dragon magazine and Dungeon magazine submission box." Today, he tweeted, "Aaaaaand back into the magazine submission box."

So, prospective authors, have faith. It looks like they managed to get through some of the earliest submissions very early on and have been sidetracked by end-of-the year stuff for a while. Greg is apparently hard at work going through the submissions this week.

Craig Campbell
Author of Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut

the Jester

Legend
Got my rejection note today. The monster I'd proposed a Creature Incarnations for is not too popular, so they'll pass in preference to those monsters more likely to see use in a dm's game.

I am both pleased to have gotten a response and pleased at the nature of it (other than the "no thanks" part)- they gave a clear rationale as to why they weren't interested.

Back to the drawing board- next window, I'll send in more pitches!

Shroomy

Adventurer
Got my rejection note today. The monster I'd proposed a Creature Incarnations for is not too popular, so they'll pass in preference to those monsters more likely to see use in a dm's game.

I am both pleased to have gotten a response and pleased at the nature of it (other than the "no thanks" part)- they gave a clear rationale as to why they weren't interested.

Back to the drawing board- next window, I'll send in more pitches!

What monster, if I may ask?

Remove ads