Relics & Rituals: spells balanced?

Psion

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
The spell you're talking about is convert Psion. Btw, in a similiar vein, did you also ban the use of Sever? The spell that cuts off the ability to commune with their god and also cause them not to get any spells per day?

I'd have to check the level, but really don't see it as any worse than feeblemind. At the very least, I have let it in my campaign as the touch attack of my bloodless archmage villain. :)

My issue with convert aren't about power... it's ninth level! It's just that deep down inside, the idea that someone's conviction can be had by means of magical compulsion seems somewhat untenable to me. It seems like the power of faith would not flow unless the individual has that faith on their own accord.

Last edited:

madriel

First Post
I agree with the others. You should limit the players access to how many of the new spells they get. I play a cleric in SL, so I limit my own choices based on what spells seem logical for my deity. A NG cleric of Madriel isn't going to cast a titan spell or a spell created by an evil god for its followers. That still leaves me with some cool spells (ooh, sunspear).

That spell that changes someone's religious convictions is broken, IMO. And just like Victim, my cleric would go postal on anybody's a** if they tried casting Sever on her.

madriel

First Post
Re: Usable in non-SL campaign?

Davelozzi said:
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

One other thing that I should have mentioned - it's not a Scarred Lands campaign, it's a homebrew. I'm assuming that most of the stuff is usable in just about any campaign with minimal tweaking, but if you disgree please let me know.

Aw, shucks. The Convert spell didn't work. ;)

Tweak away.

Omegium

First Post
I would be very careful with the improved familiar spell: regeneration or damage reduction are to good for just a little xp. And the steal sleep spell is also good. One of our wizards casts it often on his toad familiar. Toad sleepes in his pocket, and he goes on day and night.
Other than these I have not seen any extreme spells, but I haven't playtested that much. I like the book quite a lot.

James McMurray

First Post
One other spell to be careful with is Sacrifice Spell. Although it isn't too terribly bad by itself in the hands of a wizard, when maximized by a sorceror it can be devestating. It allows you to sacrifice other memorized spells or spell slots for a bolt that eals 1d8 per level of slots dropped. The main problem with it is that it lasts one round per level, meaning that if a 14th level sorceror maximizes it once, he can do 112 damage per round for 14 rounds (or for as long as his spell slots last at least).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
And yet, not that disagree with James, but compare that spell with Spellfire. It's not as bad if you ask me.

As for that converting thing, I'd remind you people to try and look at Atonement for a second. It does NEARLY the same thing but with a penalty to change that. At least I think it does. In any case, convert is okay by me! :D

Volaran

First Post
I disagree, at least unless its a character focused on Spellfire, with the appropriate prestige class and such. The only thing in the Realms that I could think of as being close to it is the Archmage Arcane Fire ability.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*shrugs* Okay Vol. Just my opinion. Though of course I do agree this a pretty POTENT spell. Would I use in my campaign? Maybe, it would depend on the circustances, but not as something in a pick and choose kind of manner.

Volaran

First Post
Oh, I like the spell itself. For NPCs, it seems like a nice unexpected punch to give a more scholarly wizard, Much as I tend to give Arcane Fire to the stay at home kind of Archmage....not everyone can be an archmage though, so the spell is a nice, though more limited, alternative.

Last edited:

Remove ads