Remembering Gary Gygax, One year later

Reynard

Legend
I saw EGG at GenCon 2000 when 3E came out. He was sitting alone at a table with Lejendary Adventures books (I think) in front of him, smiling and watching the crowd. I almost went up to him to say hello and introduce myself, but I lost my nerve.

I am very lucky, I think, to have had him say something so kind about my writing here on EN World, and it almost makes up for my foolishness that day. Thanks, Mr. Gygax.

A Note Aside: Last year at ComicCon, I happened across the BOOM! studios booth and saw Mark Waid (one of my all time favorite writers and editiors, who actually took the time to respond to an email I sent about writing comics). I almost froze when I walked toward the table, almost turned around and left without saying hello. Then I remembered how dull I felt inside when EGG passed and I realized I would never get a chance to make up for that folly and shake the man's hand and say thank you. So I overcame that very peculiar and unlike-me nervousness and had a nice chat with Mr. Waid. It might sound dumb, but I thank EGG for that, too.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
1194976399_acd6823a12_m.jpg

Gen 2007...walking on the Red Carpet...

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Headed up to the Memorial Gameday tonight. Looking forward to chucking some dice with new and old friends, all in Gary's honor. I didn't know him well, but I imagine he'll be smiling down at us tomorrow, as we game and continue to enjoy his great gift to us.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
It can't be said often enough:

We wouldn't be here without Gary. There wouldn't be an ENWorld. There wouldn't be a Wizards of the Coast.

There wouldn't be World of Warcraft. I'd even argue that there wouldn't be a flourishing fantasy genre of any kind, games, books or movies.

I very likely wouldn't be a writer of any kind.

I cannot echo this sentiment too loudly, or to many times....
I started writing when I was but a small child (actually, right about the time our beloved mentor was unleashing his thoughts upon the world). I started playing first edition in October of 1978, and by Christmas that year was writing the stories behind my character, and the adventures that my party was going through.
I, at that time, also started reading heavily from the fantasy genre, and decided then and there I wanted to do that very thing for a living. Thirty years later, I have not written the worlds next Lord of the Rings, nor have I beome the next Tracy Hicks, Robert Heinlen, or Michael Moorcock -I don't even write fantasy- however, I am a published writer who still has a great love for words. And I can trace it all back to my first introduction to Gary and his creation.

Thank you, Sir... as long as there is breath in the lungs of those who know your name, you will be sorely missed.

RIP, Gary. You are missed.

As long as I'm a DM, which I'm pretty sure will be the rest of my life since I've been playing your game for 28 of my 39 years, Mordenkainen will live on as a living legend of an NPC.

Remove ads