• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remind me again why I should like the PHB II?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
I can't comment too much since I don't own the PHB II but from what I have heard about the Retraining rules it seems like it could be a power gamer's delight. Pick things that are more powerful at lower levels and then swap them out for things that work better at higher levels.

How do they explain how a character magically changes his levels and abilities? What penalties, if any, are there for retraining?

Olaf the Stout

Well, for starters, you can only aswap out something that you can show you could ave been elligible to take when you were at the earlier levels. So, for example, you can't swap out that feat you took 10 levels ago that is now lame for a feat that you just made the prereqs for. You have to be able to demonstrate that it could have been possible under your current build to be elligible fro what you swap out.

As far as magical abilities ... I like to think of it more as changes over time. Even as much as 5 years ago I was a decent artist and a really poor typist. Now that I've gotten into online gaming and a few other lifestyle changes that mean I have less free time and now sit in front of a computer more I am losing my drawing skills and am a very good typist. I have changed over time. Some changes come slowly, others come quickly out of necessity.

For me, it is rather balanced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads