Renewals and Cancellations 2015

Ryujin

Legend
The seventh season of Supernatural is usually regarded as the weakest one. The whole "Leviathan" storyline just wasn't that great. Since then, though, the show has started to recover some of its old momentum. As it stands now, I'm glad to see it being renewed, since I'm still very attached to the characters (who can still surprise us, now and then), and it's enjoyable seeing them expand on the mythology.

It's early, but here's hoping for a twelfth season after this next one! :D

That's when it dropped off my 'must watch' list and I haven't gone back.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
That's when it dropped off my 'must watch' list and I haven't gone back.

Sometimes that's when I wish I HAD dropped it off my must watch list. I think I only caught up to the current season after that season because one of my coworkers had been watching it and we would stop and chat about it during our breaks. Now that I no longer work there, not as interested. I guess I finished this season more out of force of habit than anything else...

Not that there weren't good episodes, but it just hasn't been as good IMO as it once was.

Not that there weren't good episodes, but it just hasn't been as good IMO as it once was.

I think its still a good show, just not good in the same way. It seems to me that somewhere around season 6 the makers of the show stopped taking it so seriously, which opened up a lot of opportunity for humor. The cosplay episode, the musical episode, and bits like the unicorn pooping rainbows are funnier than 95% of the sitcoms on TV today.

It's definitely not the same show it was when it started (remember when Sam and Dean were searching for their dad and couldn't kill demons?), but it's still worth watching IMSNHO.

Sgurr

Villager
It's definitely not the same show it was when it started (remember when Sam and Dean were searching for their dad and couldn't kill demons?), but it's still worth watching IMSNHO.
I agree. I actually felt that this last season was more like Ye Olde Days, somehow. Anyway, I enjoyed season 10 more than the last couple ones.

Ryujin

Legend
I think its still a good show, just not good in the same way. It seems to me that somewhere around season 6 the makers of the show stopped taking it so seriously, which opened up a lot of opportunity for humor. The cosplay episode, the musical episode, and bits like the unicorn pooping rainbows are funnier than 95% of the sitcoms on TV today.

Well there always seemed to be at least some element of humour, but the scale definitely tipped heavily along the way. I think that, for me, the issue was in all the returns from the dead and savings of the world from destruction. OK, which one died THIS season? The world has been saved from demons, The Devil, Angels, a demon who claimed the place of Satan, Leviathans,...... Can Cthulhu be far behind?

It took me three quarters of a lifetime to realize it, but I prefer when a show goes out on a high note. Sure, I'll miss not being able to watch it anymore, but I'd rather think back on it fondly than remember how it got driven into the dirt like a rent-a-wreck.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well there always seemed to be at least some element of humour, but the scale definitely tipped heavily along the way. I think that, for me, the issue was in all the returns from the dead and savings of the world from destruction. OK, which one died THIS season? The world has been saved from demons, The Devil, Angels, a demon who claimed the place of Satan, Leviathans,...... Can Cthulhu be far behind?

I think this was sorta how I began to feel. Seriously, like after you save the world from the Apocalypse, like how can you get any bigger than that? And one of the things I disliked the most about the show was how Sam and Dean were always hiding things from each other. You would think eventually they would learn to stop doing that since every single time it has gotten them in trouble. And season 10 started off not doing that, although part of my dislike for season 10 was how the first part didn't seem to have any direction. The episodes were okay, but nothing special. And then once the season picked up with the plot better, that's when Sam started hiding things from Dean... AGAIN.

And now apparently in season 11 there is ANOTHER world threatening evil, this one from some ancient Evil. It just.... I don't know, seems sorta meh now.

Although I REALLY liked the High School Play of the Supernatural story. Episode 200. I watched that several times. :)

Ryujin

Legend
I think this was sorta how I began to feel. Seriously, like after you save the world from the Apocalypse, like how can you get any bigger than that? And one of the things I disliked the most about the show was how Sam and Dean were always hiding things from each other. You would think eventually they would learn to stop doing that since every single time it has gotten them in trouble. And season 10 started off not doing that, although part of my dislike for season 10 was how the first part didn't seem to have any direction. The episodes were okay, but nothing special. And then once the season picked up with the plot better, that's when Sam started hiding things from Dean... AGAIN.

And now apparently in season 11 there is ANOTHER world threatening evil, this one from some ancient Evil. It just.... I don't know, seems sorta meh now.

Although I REALLY liked the High School Play of the Supernatural story. Episode 200. I watched that several times. :)

And I quite liked the episodes in which Felicia Day guest starred, especially the LARPing one, but that's not going to rescue the show for me. Past its sell-by date ;)

Sgurr

Villager
And NBC just decided to cancel Hannibal after the third season (airing now)..

About time, say I :D It was a good show, but I thought 2nd season was a bit.. off.

Quite quickly after this announcement the 'Net was full of new infos. Looks like (among others?) both Amazon and Netflix may be interested in taking Hannibal into its fourth season. So there is hope for us who like to watch stylish cannibaloid dishes on screen! :D

Ryujin

Legend
Ah...maybe it's better that you don't catch up to the most recent episodes, then. :uhoh:

Just read the Wiki. Yup, not going back.

Quite quickly after this announcement the 'Net was full of new infos. Looks like (among others?) both Amazon and Netflix may be interested in taking Hannibal into its fourth season. So there is hope for us who like to watch stylish cannibaloid dishes on screen! :D

Well Amazon rescued the final season of "Ripper Street" from oblivion and permitted a reasonable resolution to the ongoing storyline, so it appears they'd do a good job. Seems they've even announced a series 4 and 5 of "Ripper Street", though I don't see where the story would go from there.

Last edited:

Remove ads