Reshooting game of thrones seasons 6+

phuong

Explorer
I can't be the only person thinking that once Winds Of Winter and the final book is complete (the former is 75% done now), that HBO should reshoot seasons 6 and onwards to match the books.

Think of the hype train, who is going to boycott that? It would be a massive success, way bigger than House of Dragons.
Assuming of course they follow the source material.

Stalker0

Legend
In a world of remakes, I would never discount anything.

Frankly I don't think remaking just the last few seasons would be the way to go. If they were going to go for a remake, I think they would go full tilt. Especially since they are unlikely to get many of the actors back (or the actors wouldn't look right for the role anymore) so you would have that mess where you go from season 5 to a new season with all new actors.

That said...I think the books get overhyped. Honestly the adaptations they do for the show is really good for the most part. They do a lot to condense a lot of confusing subplots in the book to a nice core story that is relatively easy to follow. The books just have dozens of characters that you would never show in a series.

Its not until middle of season 7 that I think the plot REALLY goes off the rails. Before that, it stays within the spirit to me.

pukunui

Legend
Firstly, I think it's highly unlikely that GRRM is ever going to finish the next book, let alone the last one.

Secondly, I agree with @Stalker0: if the show is going to be remade, it's far more likely that it will be remade entirely. Remaking just the last few seasons has no precedent that I'm aware of and is not likely to be something any studio would agree to do. You're just shouting into the wind with that request.

I'd redo from season 5 onwards. There were certainly issues before but not damning as yet.
From season 5 they really dropped the ball with the entire Dorne storyline and began the erosion of their characters.
Anyways, one can dream right. :ROFLMAO:

Assuming GRRM writes the final book (if it comes out at all) at the same rate he has been writing The Winds of Winter and assuming Winds of Winter is published in the next year or so (a big assumption, that), it will have been at least 15 years since the end of Game of Thrones when A Song of Ice and Fire ends.

The chances of HBO revisiting the last few seasons of the show at that point would be slim indeed. They'd have to recast almost everyone. As @Stalker0 said, if anything they'd remake the whole thing at that point.

I very much suspect the dude is struggling to keep it constrained within 2 books.
And that he may be writing both books or at least a 6 and 7 of a possible 8 together.

Mercurius

Legend
If it took 11 years to get to 75%, that means WoW will be 100% in 3-4 more years, or roughly 2026, plus or minus a bit. Even assuming that GRRM is one of those rare writers who requires very little editing or polishing (meaning, his "manuscript" is close to a final draft), we'd still need to add in another year or so for final polish and publication, so likely looking at 2027 at the earliest. If he can't pick up the pace for book 8, as others have said, it is likely a pipe dream.

Anyhow, the main problem with reshooting seasons 6-8 is that it isn't only WoW they need to do it properly, but the eighth book as well. But let's be optimistic. Let's say that GRRM picks up the pace for WoW and finishes it in two years, not 3-4. So it is done sometime in the second half of 2024, and published in 2025. Then let's say ADoS goes much quicker, more similar to his previous books, and is published five years later, in 2030. So the series is complete in 2030...11 years after the end of GoT. Now you're dealing with another problem: the actors are all 11 years older, some may have passed on, and frankly, the demand simply might not be there to revisit GoT. I mean, by then we'll have seen HotD finished, and probably several other GoT series start and even complete...including a sequel series with Jon Snow that may develop and/or answer some dangling threads left by GoT.

I would also argue that the show itself was pretty good through season 7, that the main problem is season 8 and how quickly it resolved not only a major plot of the entire season--the rise of the dead, and vanquished in just one episode!--but now we learn from HotD, a prophecy hundreds of years old. In other words, HotD made the end of GoT even worse.

I think the best way to rectify that would be to...well, bring the dead back in the Jon Snow series. Meaning, the Night King was just the precursor of a greater rise - not truly a king, but a herald. He was just "softening them" a bit for the true Long Night. This isn't a perfect answer, and of course would require a whole new story for HBO to potentially botch without proper oversight from GRRM, but is at least worth considering.

delericho

Legend
I can't see that ending well. You'd then inevitably have a split between those who preferred the original, those who prefer the new versions, and those who think both pale before the books. Plus, everything has already moved on.

The future for Westeros on TV/cinema is probably more spin-offs, rather than a remake. At least for a long time to come.

Remove ads