• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retro Games - BFRPG and S&W

marcobravo

First Post
How much demand really is there for people to play Basic Fantasy RPG or Swords & Wizardry?

I'm looking for a fairly simple game to play (online as my schedule does not account for live play) but am having one heck of a time finding players.

Are most playing 4e, Pathfinder or 3.5?

If anyone can lead me in the right direction that would be great.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, if you're the DM - and it sounds like you are - I don't think it's very likely that you'll have any problems finding players, on- or offline. Many players pretty much want to play something, and as long as it's D&D (or may as well be) that just makes this even more so. If it's a game that offers a free PDF of the corebook or player's handbook type thing, even better!

There are various sites (including this one, I'm pretty sure) where you can 'advertise' as a player and/or DM, if necessary.

As for 3e/4e/PF, probably. Split fairly evenly, it seems (3e/PF <-> 4e, that is). But, like I said, players tend to be less fussy about systems (especially online) than some might believe.

Hairfoot

First Post
If you haven't tried already, you're probably better off going to the forums for those particular games, or Dragonsfoot.

BFRPG boards here.

S&W here.

ENworld is strongly 4E-centric. You probably won't get much traction here.

Voadam

Legend
If you are willing to DM a play by post game there is a whole forum here for that and while more play 3e and 4e games there have been games using old school D&D or retro clones and players interested in them.

Best way to gauge interest is probably with a "gauging interest" post in the talking the talk forum.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
ENworld is strongly 4E-centric. You probably won't get much traction here.

More to the point, it's very D&D-centric, which means less discussion of games that aren't the current edition of D&D (although both D&D 3x and AD&D do get discussed quite often here). Neither BFRPG or Swords & Wizardry are D&D, though, so I agree that the OP would be better off checking the sites dedicated to each game (Dragonsfoot and Mythmere Games, respectively).

Remathilis

Legend
I personally consider the retros a dalliance; something to play for a rush of old-school feeling, but not a game I could commit to long-time. That said, I LOVE BFRPG and wouldn't mind finding an occasional group to play it with (my current groups are grounded firmly in the 3e/Pathfinder mindset now).

tenkar

Old School Blogger
How much demand really is there for people to play Basic Fantasy RPG or Swords & Wizardry?

I'm looking for a fairly simple game to play (online as my schedule does not account for live play) but am having one heck of a time finding players.

Are most playing 4e, Pathfinder or 3.5?

If anyone can lead me in the right direction that would be great.

Depends on the VTT you plan to use. Fantasy Grounds 2 has a fairly active recruiting forum, Battleground much less so. iTabletop is in a holding pattern of sorts pending the release of V2 of the software, at least as far as new games forming. Maptools has decent activity in its forums.

Which VTT do you plan to use?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads