• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retro Story Hour: (Contact's) Temple of Elemental Evil 2!

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Originally posted by (contact)
Gravy also admonishes the PCs: "Do not take the back door into the temple". Whatever, little buddy. Hey, thanks for the biscuits and pork chops.

This is great; now I can add another story hour to the four or five I'm following. The narration, with the little snide comments, totally kills me. Good stuff, (contact).

Best,
tKL

Last edited:

(contact)

Explorer
Chapter 4-- WTF, nobody dies?

Four: To the Darkest Ground Comes a Light.
(or, "Say hello to my little friend!")

Overall, the party has rooted out the nefarious evil plaguing the Inn at Hommlet, renamed the Inn, cleared out the moathouse, put to the sword the Prazrael cultists lurking there, and got their collective ass kicked in an ambush in Knulb. After beating (but not killing) Faust, and armed with a pair of his magic items, the party makes their first foray into the Temple itself:

After discovering the top level to be empty, our Keystone Adventurers explore a well leading down into the depths of the dungeon. Lucius and Gnomishic scout down the well, and true to form try to assassinate the high-level priest waiting below. The priest's familiar (an imp) causes a moment of concern, but is led astray by Gnomishic's clever use of a Cherubic illusion. But no illusion can help Lucius, as his friends came rappelling down the rope tied to his waist (!), sending him crashing to his near-death below. Only blind luck saves him from certain death in his very first encounter.

Illustration: No illusion can help Lucius, as his friends come rappelling down the rope tied to his waist . . .

Other PCs fall into the well, some more gracefully than others (Suhe being a prime example of the graceful faction). Eventually, and with 3 of their number broken, bleeding and unconscious, the PCs manage to kill the cleric of Iuz, a fifth level prelate by the name of Romag. Adding insult to injury, the victors forget to loot the room, ignoring obvious magical objects on an evil altar, and run like all of the Abyss is chasing them.

The second assault on the Temple Dungeons is a much more proficient affair, however. Using sound dungeon-delving strategies, the PCs find a +3 crossbow bolt during a careful room search (which Lucius has blessed by Canon Turgeon and vows to use to assassinate an Iuzian priest).

A subsequent encounter with a few gnolls turns into an all-out brawl in which the party fights some 19 gnolls, 4 flinds, 11 hyenas, and a pair of bugbears who must have been slumming. Bloody but victorious, our heroes return to the surface, dripping with gnoll gore and loot! The party snatches some treasure, and rescues 8 prisoners, four of whom have some soldiering experience and agree to stay on as men-at-arms.

Unfortunately, these men's levels totaled equal Little-Leaf's charisma bonus: zero. But hey, warm bodies . . .

As the party returns to the surface, Lucius and Gnomishic remain in the gnoll lair, disguising themselves as corpses in order to gather intelligence on the response-time to battles in the Temple Dungeon. To their surprise (and relief!), only a wandering ogre with indigestion and a few elite orcs (wearing Iuz-branded mail, carrying fine weapons, and all built like Jesse 'the Body' Ventura) show up, looking surprised to see the carnage.

The next day, the party assaults the tower in the NE corner of the Temple surface compound, getting sliced into ribbons by the set-up. A well placed stinking cloud by Tisha, along with a blast from her wand of lightning (thanks, Heydricus!) tips the scales, and Rose and Lucius get to have a field day murdering the bandits left helpless by the stinking cloud.

Discovering that a secret passage in the tower leads to a farmhouse near Knulb, the party moves in, and makes the tower their base of operations. Six more men at arms sent by the Nine Sisters (okay, so the Iuzian forces killed one of them, they're still called the Nine Sisters!) show up, and our heroes set about fortifying their new base-camp.

Last edited:

Thorntangle

First Post
Re: Chapter 4-- WTF, nobody dies?

(contact) said:
...our Keystone Adventurers explore a well...
I also love the snide and witty comments. One of my favorite sections so far has been the Priest of St.Cuthbert presiding over the funeral of Pippin. "...and he never stole a thing in his life."

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I just wanted to comment that this Story Hour thread is the first one that I read after finding ENWorld. So now I'm an addict of course.

Seriously, one of the best ever SH threads.

(contact) sez - "The first taste is free."

(contact)

Explorer
Mack, mack, mack.

Bonus Illustration: As the party returns to the surface, Lucius and Gnomishic remain in the gnoll lair, disguising themselves as corpses in order to gather intelligence.

Hey, folks-- I started a thread on the main boards about this Story Hour.

I used some of y'all's quotes from this thread to help reluctant folks realize how much fun they'll have in this thread, but if y'all would like to go chime in your $.02 and bump that adver-thread, I'd appreciate it.

Hopefully, we'll get a couple new pairs of eyes in the StoryHour forum for this go-'round of the TOEE2, and they'll realize how many kick-ass stories there are here, and stick around.

That way Horatio will have even more SH-junkies to steal hubcaps with. ;)

The thread is here.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Re: Mack, mack, mack.

(contact) said:
Hopefully, we'll get a couple new pairs of eyes in the StoryHour forum for this go-'round of the TOEE2, and they'll realize how many kick-ass stories there are here, and stick around.

That way Horatio will have even more SH-junkies to steal hubcaps with. ;)

Hmmm....how'd I miss this one th' first time 'round? Good stuff, (contact). Snide comments much appreciated. Is it possible to list which (if any) ENBoard members played which character(s). You've obviously played....quite a few.

(contact)

Explorer
Re: Re: Mack, mack, mack.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I'm glad you're sharing some of the fun we had playing it. The actual game was dark, dark, dark (as you'll soon see, things get much worse), but the logs turned out funny. We were such dumbasses, it was hard not to make fun of the stupid ish we decided to do.

Nail said:

Is it possible to list which (if any) ENBoard members played which character(s). You've obviously played....quite a few.

I am the only player from this game that posts here at the ENBoards. When the logs are completed, I'll put up a list of who played whom.

2WS-Steve

First Post
One other nice feature of the story hours is that they remind me that half the fun of the game is reflecting on what happened after the session. For me it's always after the night has ended that I go back and start filling in the details, making it feel more like a story.

Also, it's only after the session is over that I realise how cool it was when my character had his armor torn off him by a Bebilith and then his body shredded by a crowd of fiends :eek:

Samnell

Explorer
Re: Chapter 4-- WTF, nobody dies?

(contact) said:
But no illusion can help Lucius, as his friends came rappelling down the rope tied to his waist (!), sending him crashing to his near-death below. Only blind luck saves him from certain death in his very first encounter.

I have to wonder what you guys were thinking. "Lucius just climbed down with this rope around his waist, let's all slide down it. Whee!"

Of course having seen fallen paladins fall on and nearly kill druids on their way to the melee, I suppose I shouldn't call too much attention to myself. ;)

Remove ads