• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retro Story Hour: (Contact's) Temple of Elemental Evil 2!

bertman4

First Post
Okay, THAT was hilarious! Is that a real number? I'm tempted to try but it's late. Oh wait, it's SF number. Nope. It's 10:30PM already.

Bertman

Last edited:

rackabello

First Post
(contact) vs. The Blob

(contact) said:

...Fighting in the streets becomes a problem, and sporadic looting breaks out. This added element of unrest is more than the Lord of Knulb can take, and he has Sir Willam arrested, provoking viscous riots....
Sir William the Oozemaster? who'da thunk it?
(Just poking gentle fun, (contact). This little typo caught my eye when I read the compiled version of this tale, and I thought you might want to edit it.)

Just as entertaining as the first time, by the way, and the battlefield portraiture makes it all the more fun. High fantasy and low tricks, shining heroism and dark comedy, long odds and short PC lifespans....The serialized homebrew RttoEE will be a nightly ritual for me.

By the way, Bertman, go ahead and call the number (contact) posted, or better yet, substitute your local area code for 415. You'll get pretty much the same result :)

(contact)

Explorer
Five: Those Who Do Not Learn From the Mistakes of the Past . . .
(or, Which one of us is writing down the advice from NPCs?)

Searching the Tower, and it's escape tunnel, the PCs find a secret passage leading into the depths of the Temple dungeon. Bravely forgetting Gravy's admonition to "NEVER adventure beneath a level you haven't cleared", our heroes pop the secret door and troop bravely into the dungeon. They determine that a seemingly collapsed ceiling is in fact an illusion, covering a pit lined with rusty spikes!

A wall of fire blocking the corridor just beyond the pit also proves to be an illusion. The PCs slip past it, but not before Lucius voices his concern. He asks Gnomishic what sort of power-level would a mage have to be at if he could make permanent illusions. Gnomishic assures him that it's not that impressive of a trick. Lucius is unconvinced, and suggests that the party might not want to tangle with whatever is that can make those illusions. In true dungeoneering fashion, his objections are shouted down, and the elves call him a pussy. Properly admonished, Lucius plans for an opportunity to kill Little Leaf, and the party moves on.

Scouting ahead, Little Leaf, Gnomishic and Lucius spot an illusionary Basilisk. Little Leaf and Gnomishic fail saves, and think they are petrified. Lucius recognizes the illusion, but before he can try to save his associates, he spots two human rogues attempting to hide in the shadows, and worse yet, a diabolical figure lurking behind an illusionary wall. The figure is man-sized, covered in spikes, has a barbed tail, lots of sharp teeth, and carries a pitchfork! Lucius sneaks back to the party and manages to mutter: "Fiend. Run!"

The group won't hear of it, and in a module riddled with tough fights and seemingly hopeless situations, our group puts their foot in it big time. A few levels over their heads, they take on 4 Spinagons and 2 human Rogues, 5th and 1st level.

The fiends use their suggestion and charm person powers to quickly turn the party against one another. Heydricus is the first to succumb, and he is set upon by the wood elves who in turn are attacked by Rose. Meanwhile, Lucius, Gnomishic, Isuld and Tisha are trying to hold up the party's end of the fight. Fortunately, Lucius keeps making his willpower saves, and Tisha's wand of lightning has yet to run out of charges. When the smoke clears, one fiend escapes, and Gnomishic lies dead. The party cashes in, loot wise, with a few magic items to boot.

Illustration: Gnomishic versus the personification of universal evil. (Long odds on the evil).

Suhi is traumatized by the death of his Gnome friend, and abandons his carefree bardic life to focus more fully on his staff and hand fighting skills. "WhhooooaaaAAAahhhh". A monk without a monastery. The Wood Elves also retreat to their forest sanctuary, to heal psychic wounds. They promise to return when they are ready.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
(Contact), I don't want all the adulation to go to your head - but your illustrations are really excellent... some of the best that I've seen.

Great idea to add them to the storyhour - it means that all the old guard will read the whole thing again. It's a bit like reissuing vinyl as CDs...

or not :)

fett527

First Post
(contact) said:
Properly admonished, Lucius plans for an opportunity to kill Little Leaf, and the party moves on.

OOOHHH!! Inner-party conflict! Maybe a little poison for the elf? (Remember, first time reader so no spoilers please!)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Those of you who read my story hour, Nail and others, and are just now reading this one-- this, THIS is what got me started.

It was like a 16-gauge shot of adrenaline to this writer's heart.

Lucius is Wulf's role model... Hope that's not a spoiler.

Wulf

Remove ads