Return of the Slavelords, Part 2 - "Bright City, Dark Hearts"

Karl Green

First Post
old wizards home, the Gnarely Forest, late-afternoon

Norbac and Verrick rush up and grab the stacked books and pieces of parchment and sheets. Looking down the hallway, they see the creature sitting in a large dark room with its back to them. Moving out of the room and back up to the first floor, they can start looking over the items... this time a bit more cautiously then with the door. The largest book is about two feet long, a foot wide and almost half a foot wide. It must weigh 15lbs, and its cover seems to be thick blackened leather and bound in iron. The covers of two of the other books look to be bond in human skin and reek. The lose parchments and scroll are written in the code Verrick found on some of the pieces upstairs or written in an arcane langue…

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

"If the rest of you will keep an eye out for friend in the basement", and looking at the webs he adds, "as well as spiders. I'll see if I can figure out the code or whatever this is," he says holding up and hand full of documents.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Garynn's heart goes out to the creature. He will calmly walk onto the room and continue to sing to it. As long as the creature does not act in any way threatening He will inch closer until he is standing next to it.

ooc: How is Bramble reacting to the creature?

Karl Green

First Post

While the rest move upstairs, Garynn goes and sings some more to the creature. In the room the Gnome sees that the creature as created some kind of shire or something that it is sitting in front of… potted plants growling down here in the dark with wooden carving of animals circle them. The carvings are beautiful and increadably lifelike, and while the plants are almost white, they seem to give off a soft warm sensation that he can not describe… but he is sure that is some kind of druidic magic is at work here. Bramble sniffs around a seems very calm in this room, while he is nervous and agitated in the outer ‘torture’ room that they past to get in here…

Meanwhile, Verrick spends some time decipher the various books, after carefully checking them for warding. The two books that have covers made of what is probably human skin are manuals on the theories and creation of flesh golems. They both stink and leave his hands feeling unclean. The large black leather bond book (perhaps dragon hide) is warded with a rune of some kind (you can make a spell craft roll and/or if you wish to disable it, Disable Device roll also).

Most of the loose papers and parchments are from a personal journal, most mad incoherent rambling, but after some time Verrick can piece some things together. First the Wizard’s real name was Randastan Ironhand, and that you believe he is from the Hold of the Sea Princes. He studied on some Wizard, whom he referred to as the Master. The Master was part of a cabal of nine Slaver-Lords that was supposedly destroyed twenty some years ago, when Randastan fled here and built the cabin. He become obsessed with the creation of new life, especially Flesh Golems and the two books bond in human skin are the culmination of 10 years of research. The creature down in the cellar is a failure as it seems that it was not under Randastan’s complete control AND might have more of a soul than he intended. His last creation, what Randastan referred to as Ironfist seems to have been considered a far greater success. No reason is given why the creature is still here. Five years ago, his old Master contacted him again and seems to have sent Randastan over the edge; putting him in contact with whatever dark forces controlled the dark woods to the north where his iron keep now stands. The last parchment of entry that Verrick finds was written around 4 or 5 years ago.

The last thing that Verrick learns from these entries is that the Slave Lords have been reformed, and that their agents are spreading out into the lands of Greyhawk to reestablish their domain in the area. There are few details on who they are or where they are, and what little there is of that information is at least four years old. (this research, deciphering will take about 3 hours total, what is the rest of the party up to?)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Garynn: Gnome Druid 4/Bard 2

Garynn walks over to the shrine showing proper reverance. He asks, Are you of the druidic order? I am Garynn Wildsong what is your name?

Someone

Adventurer
Norbac sits with Verrick as he reads (aloud?) the texts, grunting in the most interesting parts. "I knew something not what it seemed with the big guy there" says. "I the first knowing not to judge for what it seen. This wizard must be powerful to create such things, and now is in league with that Vecna thing in the woods, and with slavers." The last word comes out of Norbac´s mouth as if spit out. "We have to burn those books, and hurry to the bright tower. First step to counter them is beating the orcs there."

Karl Green

First Post

The creature looks over at Garynn but only moans "Aaaaannnnggg". Then it picks up one of the potted plants and his hands glowing causes the limbs to stand a little straighter and look a little brighter (Spellcraft to know he is using Enlarge, 1st level druid spell)

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

Verrick will indeed read his findings aloud for any who wish to listen. He goes through all the unwarded stuff before trying to tackle the ward. "Norbac, I agree this is dark news and we should get to the battle as soon as posible. We also need to spread the news of the slavelords, but I don't think we should be so hasty in destorying the foul books. As much as I find them revolting, the creatures that can be made with them, might also be unmade by information in the books. It's been five years since the wizard left here. I don't want to think about how many of those things in the basement he or his 'master' might have made. Can you imagine fighting an army of those? If there is something in here that can help us against them I feel we should try to learn it before destoying the books." He takes up the last book. "There is some magic on this last one. I suggest you all stay back while I see if I can get past it." He takes up the last book and begins to work on it.

OOC: Spellcraft check (10)+10=20 and Disable Device (17)+9=26

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Garynn

The Gnome sits next to the monster and trys his best to communicate. "We're goin' to a human place called the shining tower. Please come with us. Maybe they can help you. Life is a graet and precious thing. Even if it is thrust upon you. Maybe you are brought back for a far greater purpose than you and I can see right now." Garynn says.

"No matter the reason and no matter what the end I would be pleased to call you friend. I'm Garynn Wildsong and my friend nuzzeling up to you is Bramble. I don't know if you ave a name or not but may I call you...... GreatOak?" He says in a flash of inspiration.

Remove ads