Revised Monk - Monk fans please critique

Spatzimaus

First Post
Re: eastern

lyonstudio said:
This monk version is very nice. I am starting to realize however that I am looking for a focused unarmed and disciplined fighter variant rather than a mystical monk variant.

Thanks. I'm not saying that you should take the exact concept, I was just using it to demonstrate a way you COULD change the class and still have it be balanced: multiple paths, with each step having ever-increasing requirements, and where you can't take step 2 in a path until you've taken step 1 before.
This sort of thing gives more flexibility than the PHB class, doesn't approach the flexibility Fighters get, and allows you to make some abilities be more valuable than others. Basically, I got the idea from d20Modern; it's effectively like making the Monk a 5-level class and then adding a bunch of 5-level PrCs.

If you want to keep it all non-magical though, I think you might have too much overlap with other classes. Mix a bit of Fighter, Rogue, Barbarian, and maybe Psychic Warrior together and you can have a good unarmed fighter with a good skill set already. To me, the distinguishing feature of a Monk is that he's the only core class with PASSIVE magic, to where he gains the benefits but doesn't need to follow any god or memorize spells. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Remove ads