• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

rifts --> d20? any one know how?

About Rifts D20

releasethedogs said:
im looking for any one who has ideas on how to convert rifts characters, items, weapons, spells, ect. to the d20 system.

You might get lucky and some one has done that type of conversion, but they will not openly admit that since Palladium might have snoops looking into everything that is labelled D20 to make sure that there is know conversion to the D20 system. I would love to see it myself since I was a Rifts Fanatic of over 13 years and still have the original 32 books and will do my own conversion for myself one day, but do not expect it for along time since I'm into alot of worlds all ready for the D20 system.
i know somewhere out there is a D20 Rifts conversion, but was halted for free distribution to other Rifts fanatics.

Sejs

First Post
Converting the rifts gameworld would be doable, but converting the rifts -rules- would be a nightmare.

Hell, just the MDC/SDC gap would be nearly impossible to do in d20. And that's a good thing. Part of the problem is that the d20 system, at least at it's heart, tries to keep things more or less in check with one another. Rifts never, ever had any illusions to that end. They just opened up the can and said okay! Go nuts!

evildm

Explorer
I've actually been considering running a Rifts campaign using Mutants & Masterminds. Let the players make whatever they want, provide templates for things that are common in the setting, and go from there.

Acid_crash

First Post
evildm said:
I've actually been considering running a Rifts campaign using Mutants & Masterminds. Let the players make whatever they want, provide templates for things that are common in the setting, and go from there.

Because of the freedom of MnM, this system might be one way to go about it. At least your not restricted by some conventions to create unique systems for the many different facets that are in the game.

ScottDM

First Post
MDC would be easy to convert. Using a Structure point system where weapons of a certain calibur are unable to dent/hurt MDC structure points. The 1/100 point ratio is a little nuts. I would have MDC vs. Hit points be a 1/5 or 1/10 conversions. This gets rid of the SDC splatter factor. But if you like it, then 1 structure point equals 100 hit points... Mekton had a decent system, where some weapons were D10 based, that was considered anti-armor or anti-mekton, but normal weapons were D6 based and couldnt hurt Mektons. DP9 did a mecha book for D20 that could be used for power armor or Robots in D20. But I haven't seen any D20 conversions, as many Palladium fans seem to be on their own side of the fence about D20.

scourger

Explorer
I converted a Rifts game to d20 using 2 rules iterations. First was DragonStar. That was great because it has all the magic rules of D&D intact plus high technology. Second was Omega World. I loved it. OW added all the freaky mutations, which I treated as psionics (there were no spellcasters in my game as they were playing Coalition soldiers). Also, OW treats all the tech items very simply.

My players hated it. By and large, they couldn't get past what they perceived as a loss of statistical power in the conversion. They didn't see that the entire framework of the world vis-a-vis the rules changed. In other words, they couldn't see that they were just as powerful as before since everything else in the world became relatively less powerful, too.

Anyway, if I did it over again, I would use the OW rules with some DS classes. Use MDC all you want. Rifts always seemed to me to be Palladium fantasy, Heroes Unlimited etc. thrown in a blender anyway; so the conversion of d20 D&D to a high-tech Rifts world should be pretty easy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads