RIFTS Is Coming To SAVAGE WORLDS!

Palladium Books has licensed its Rifts roleplaying game to Pinnacle Entertainment Group in order to produce a Savage World version of the Rifts RPG. There's no date yet announced. Rifts is a multi-genre post-apocalyptic game which dates back to 1990.

Palladium Books has licensed its Rifts roleplaying game to Pinnacle Entertainment Group in order to produce a Savage World version of the Rifts RPG. There's no date yet announced. Rifts is a multi-genre post-apocalyptic game which dates back to 1990.

Palladium's weekly update contained the first hints of this information:

Something new and exciting. In an effort to truly expand Rifts® across the Megaverse®, in cooperation with Palladium Books, another role-playing game company is currently adapting the Rifts® Earth setting to that company’s RPG system of rules, as well as producing adventure sourcebooks. This is only the second time in Palladium’s history that an outside company will create new game material under a different set of rules. Rumor Squashing: No, Palladium is NOT going to stop publishing Rifts®, nor change to a completely different set of rules. Far from it. In fact, Palladium expects to release six new Rifts® titles in 2015 and 98% of all Rifts® titles are in stock and available for purchase right now! The idea is that by offering Rifts® via another game company’s set of popular rules it creates a parallel dimension of gaming enjoyment. An expanding Megaverse®, if you will. This is a bit of an experiment, but we are excited to see how it all unfolds.

And today PEG issued a press release:
News from Pinnacle Entertainment Group

For Immediate Release--April 21, 2015

Pinnacle Entertainment Group announced today the development of Rifts for Savage Worlds, their award-winning tabletop roleplaying game system.

Pinnacle released a mock cover, using art from Palladium’s 2005 Rifts Ultimate Edition with permission. The cover artist for the book was Scott Johnson.

“We are thrilled to follow up Kevin’s post with this announcement that we do, indeed, have the license to develop Rifts for Savage Worlds,” said Savage Worlds creator Shane Hensley. “We are early in the process, but anticipate having a core rulebook for the setting released in time for Christmas.”

The Palladium Books Weekly Update--April 19, 2015, written by Kevin Siembieda, recently made mention of a new roleplaying game system for the beloved setting:

“In an effort to truly expand Rifts® across the Megaverse®, in cooperation with Palladium Books, another role-playing game company is currently adapting the Rifts® Earth setting to that company’s RPG system of rules, as well as producing adventure sourcebooks.”

Rifts is an exciting multi-genre post-apocalypse game that began publishing in 1990. Featuring elements of everything from cyberpunk and fantasy to mecha and mythology, Rifts has always been Siembieda's vision of a game with everything for everyone, tied together with a strong narrative.

"I'm really excited to see what Rifts will look like in the Savage Worlds system," said Siembieda. "The Savage fans are great folks, and I think Rifts is going to be an amazing amount of fun for them, letting them explore all the possibilities of both the system and the setting."

Savage Worlds was created by Shane Lacy Hensley. Savage Worlds and the Pinnacle logo are all trademarks of Pinnacle Entertainment Group. For more information, visit www.peginc.com or contact Jodi Black, Marketing Manager for Pinnacle, at PEGJodi@gmail.com. More about Palladium and the Rifts setting can be found on their website here: http://www.palladiumbooks.com/.

8a69b512-644c-4ee6-87e9-c5cd1e5da0ec.jpg

Warunsun

First Post
Good thing they didn't announce this on April 1st because I am totally shocked! I am a Michigan native and former RIFTS player that still buys and reads occasional Palladium Books products. I don't really have a desire to play the RIFTS system anymore and I definitely don't have the players. But on the average Palladium Books products are very economical buys and worth buying a few here and there just to read them. As it happens I am a big fan of both Deadlands and the entire Savage Worlds line. I have been able to get my D&D players to actually play Savage Worlds occasionally. I hugely prefer the Savage Worlds approach to the multiple genre rules presentation. Some of my D&D players were former RIFTS players when they were back in high school (more than a decade ago). I bet I could get them to try this. I keep up on the Great White Games/PEG book releases and they are also generally affordable. GWG/PEG does a great thing where they sell a copy of the main rules basically at cost in a full-color perfect bound paperback called the Explorer's Edition. It is less than $9 right now on Amazon! I just purchased their Hell on Earth companion book and I can definitely see use of both RIFTS concepts in Hell on Earth or HOE stuff in RIFTS. :)

This is a smart move for both companies! Palladium Books could easily end up selling a few source books to Savage Worlds gamers. I plan to keep my eyes on this. I will definitely buy the main book release.

Warunsun

First Post
:hmm: That explains a few things.
What is up with folks on the Internet knocking cities that they have probably never been to? Game companies are about the folks that work for them. Not so much about where they live. Printing, distributions, the Internet, and the minimization of conventions have made where the company is far less important.

Asatru009

Explorer
How can this be occuring due to Kevin Siembieda's history of trying to stop any and all conversions of his system? I could be wrong but from what I've read he has a history of going after any conversion attempts regardless of if they are legal or not, as well as having a micromanaging nature.

The fluff is awesome no doubt, I will wait to see how this turns out. How many other games take a similar angle in regards to their background setting or kitchen sink approach?

Ending on a positive note, I hope that this is the start of more system conversions and hopefully ebooks/pdfs.

Warunsun

First Post
How can this be occuring due to Kevin Siembieda's history of trying to stop any and all conversions of his system?
This is licensed and I would imagine the rulebook will be approved by Kevin and he will make money too. This isn't an Internet fan thing. I'd say it is a good sign. :)

Abbasax

Explorer
What is up with folks on the Internet knocking cities that they have probably never been to? Game companies are about the folks that work for them. Not so much about where they live. Printing, distributions, the Internet, and the minimization of conventions have made where the company is far less important.

Yeah! And Detriot has Robocop!

Abbasax

Explorer
How can this be occuring due to Kevin Siembieda's history of trying to stop any and all conversions of his system? I could be wrong but from what I've read he has a history of going after any conversion attempts regardless of if they are legal or not, as well as having a micromanaging nature.

The fluff is awesome no doubt, I will wait to see how this turns out. How many other games take a similar angle in regards to their background setting or kitchen sink approach?

Ending on a positive note, I hope that this is the start of more system conversions and hopefully ebooks/pdfs.

It's that "mircomanaging" thing that concerns me. Palladium doesnt' have a history of being the most... timely, with their books as it is. Hopefully the approval process won't slow down the SW convertions too much.

paleblade

Explorer
Gotta say I'm shocked. Siembieda wouldn't do a d20 conversion during the craze because he thought WoTC would end up owning the rights to Rifts. He must be in a bad place financially (again). Not that I'm knocking it, I can't wait for this. I own 99% of the books, but also remember the last licensed book (Rifts Manhunter) and the legal battle after that was released.

I wish you all the luck and hope this becomes a permanent SW line that I can collect and play for many years (and offer conversions of my library) :)

GameOgre

Adventurer
Very excited! Love Rifts but have not bought a rifts book in 15+ years due to the old rule style. will buy everything Rifts/Savage worlds puts out! I already own everything for Deadlands reloaded and Hell on Earth Reloaded.

Rifts is one of the best settings and Savage Worlds is one of the best Systems!

Remove ads

Remove ads