Righteous Charge

Animus

Explorer
Righteous Charge

Prerequisite: Paladin level 5

Description: When a paladin charges while not mounted and uses the Smite Evil ability, he gets a damage bonus equal to twice his paladin level.

Normal: A paladin gets a damage bonus equal to his paladin level when he smites evil.

Special: This feature replaces the paladin ability to get a Special Mount.

This is based on the PHB II alternate class feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patlin

Explorer
Does it work with a mounted charge? That'd allow what, quadruple damage with a lance and the spirited charge feat?

Also, I don't have phbII in front of me... is this just based on phbII, or is it identical? If identical, I think it's prohibited by the open content only rule.

I don't have a real problem with this one, balance-wise.

Animus

Explorer
Patlin said:
Does it work with a mounted charge? That'd allow what, quadruple damage with a lance and the spirited charge feat?

Also, I don't have phbII in front of me... is this just based on phbII, or is it identical? If identical, I think it's prohibited by the open content only rule.

I don't have a real problem with this one, balance-wise.

Sorry I didn't clarify, but no, it doesn't work when mounted. This version is a weaker version of the actual PHB II feature.

Animus

Explorer
Bront said:
Trading the special mount for that seems... significantly weak.

Well, mechanically, this version is weaker than what's in the PHB II, but I figured I'd aim low and build up from there.

Manzanita

First Post
It seems weak to me too, though it in many cases, mounts aren't usefull, whereas you can almost always get in a charge. And doubling your smite eveil damage for Paladins over 5th amounts to something.

Bront

The man with the probe
Weak doesn't nessessarily mean bad or unbalanced, just... weak.

I don't realy have a problem with it though, and am not sure how I'd tweek it. I'd be willing to vote yes on it though if there isn't too much more discussion.

Animus

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
Unless you read the PHB2 version as adding 2/paladin lvl to smite (on top of the normal) than this is the same thing.

If you read the text from the PHB II there's no doubt that it means to add 2/level on top (though I won't repeat word for word text here for legal reasons). So this version is a weaker version.

Remove ads