Righteous Charge

Knight Otu

First Post
I agree that it seems a tad weak, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure whether to vote yet, in case you want to tweak it a bit?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I agree that it seems a tad weak, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure whether to vote yet, in case you want to tweak it a bit?
I'm not sure how weak it is, at least not for certain builds. This has the same effect as an Epic feat (adds your Paladin level again to your smites every time you take it) which is used for the 'Smiter Supreme' build (first take some charging feats pre-epic, then once epic take Epic Lion's Charge so you can Full Attack on a Charge, then all your other epic feats are the smite feat. You should be able to Charge, Multi-Smite, and kill pretty much anything you can hit, gods included) Obviously LEW is not going epic any time even remotely soon, but the point is that the ability is equivalent to an epic feat that is actually used (comparing to the crappy epic feats that nobody uses isn't fair, I admit).

Animus

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
I'm not sure how weak it is, at least not for certain builds. This has the same effect as an Epic feat (adds your Paladin level again to your smites every time you take it) which is used for the 'Smiter Supreme' build (first take some charging feats pre-epic, then once epic take Epic Lion's Charge so you can Full Attack on a Charge, then all your other epic feats are the smite feat. You should be able to Charge, Multi-Smite, and kill pretty much anything you can hit, gods included) Obviously LEW is not going epic any time even remotely soon, but the point is that the ability is equivalent to an epic feat that is actually used (comparing to the crappy epic feats that nobody uses isn't fair, I admit).

While that is certainly true (and I had an epic paladin that could do that), you still have to charge to get the benefit of this ability. So the question becomes, how many times will this benefit be used in a given encounter and/or day? Most combats I've been in, I've been able to get off 1 charge, or 2 if I'm lucky. Difficult terrain, obstacles, or poor visibility can hamper movement, so in combat with any of that, you can't even charge once. Just some things to consider.

SlagMortar

First Post
This has the same effect as an Epic feat (adds your Paladin level again to your smites every time you take it) which is used for the 'Smiter Supreme' build (first take some charging feats pre-epic, then once epic take Epic Lion's Charge so you can Full Attack on a Charge, then all your other epic feats are the smite feat.
I would expect that this build uses a mounted charge + spirited charge + lance, doesn't it? According to the 3rd post, this ability can't be used while mounted, though that needs to be added to the text of the ability. Also, since this is not a feat it doesn't let you take it more than once.

The powerful part of the epic build seems to be the Lion's charge and the fact that the feat stacks with itself. An epic feat like spell focus that stacked with itself might be worth spending your epic feats on, but it would not make spell focus and greater spell focus broken. I say might, because I've never played epic so I don't know how much saving throws improve versus spell DCs, but hopefully you see what I mean.

Animus

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
Reading through the thread again, why would it not work when mounted?

Earlier in the thread I mentioned:

Animus said:
Sorry I didn't clarify, but no, it doesn't work when mounted. This version is a weaker version of the actual PHB II feature.

However, I will edit the original post.

Rystil Arden

First Post
SlagMortar said:
I would expect that this build uses a mounted charge + spirited charge + lance, doesn't it? According to the 3rd post, this ability can't be used while mounted, though that needs to be added to the text of the ability. Also, since this is not a feat it doesn't let you take it more than once.

The powerful part of the epic build seems to be the Lion's charge and the fact that the feat stacks with itself. An epic feat like spell focus that stacked with itself might be worth spending your epic feats on, but it would not make spell focus and greater spell focus broken. I say might, because I've never played epic so I don't know how much saving throws improve versus spell DCs, but hopefully you see what I mean.
Oh, I didn't say it was broken. It probably isn't a problem at all as Animus wrote. I was contesting with the people who called it 'too weak'. ;)

Erekose13

Explorer
I think I can vote yes on this one. I still think without the mounted thing its a bit weak, but hey if you are not going to play a mounted pokepaladin anyway why not take this.

Remove ads