[Risus] An Adventurer's Life for Me! OOC

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Handy Links
IC | RG

The Set Up
Meckwick was once a prominent wizard whose influence extended throughout the known world. In more recent times, political maneuvering by long standing rivals has ruined Meckwick, and forced him to withdraw from society. Living in isolation, Meckwick has purchased a vacant dungeon and begun plotting his revenge. Meckwick is looking for seasoned adventurers to stock his dungeon with guards and traps and prevent his rivals from making it out alive.

Are you seasoned enough to answer this challenge?

The Game System
I want to use Risus: The Anything RPG. It's free, it's easy simple, and it's narrative, which makes it seem ideal for PbP.

Character Creation
Number of Dice: Characters are created using 10 dice. Advanced Option: Hooks and Tales is in effect. Tales don't need to be two or three pages long, but they should be two or three paragraphs long. I'm also adding Portrait to the list. Post a picture of your character and get another die for character creation. This means you'll have 10-13 dice for character creation.

Cliche Limits: As normal, starting cliches range from 1 to 4 dice.

Advanced Options II & III: The pumping cliche and double-pump cliche options are in play.

Other Stuff
I'm looking for about 4 players. My posting rate is likely to be erratic, ranging from multiple posts per day to one a week, depending on what else I'm doing and how quickly the players post.

After this short, first adventure is done, I may be up to running another short adventure, either for the same players with or without the same characters, or for new players, or for some combination thereof.

I'm not expecting anyone to take this too seriously. It's not about wealth-by-level, keeping track of resources, or any of those other things we get to do in rules-heavy RPGs.

Game Flow
Risus is primarily a narrative RPG. The extremely simple mechanics make a suit that must be tailored with narrative description so that the suit fits the dice. This means you, the player, will often have the power to describe the successes and failures of both your PC and my NPCs/monsters. Here're some examples of what this might look like.

An Uncontested Challenge
Marcus is trying to get information about of a barfly, but she has little respect for men who cannot chug a pint of stout more quickly than she can. Marcus wants to impress the barfly and says that he will use his Alcoholic cliche to do so. This seems like an appropriate use of Alcoholic, so I, the GM, set the Target Number (TN) at 5. Dice are rolled, and Marcus scores a 9, sufficient to succeed. Along with posting the dice result, mazzoli must also describe Marcus's success and the barfly's immediate reaction. If the dice result had been a 4, mazzoli would instead describe Marcus's failure and the barfly's immediate reaction.

A Contested Challenge
Contested challenges work pretty much the same way, only the descriptive element falls on whoever wins the challenge. If Marcus challenged the barfly to a chugging contest, there wouldn't be a static TN. Instead, the barfly would pit her Hard Drinkin' Wench cliche against Marcus's Alcoholic cliche. If the barfly's dice result was higher, I, the GM, would get to describe what happened. If Marcus's dice result was higher, mazzoli would get to describe the contest. Regardless, the loser forfeits a die from his or her cliche.

Should the contested challenge continue, further rolls are made until one side surrenders or loses all their dice in a cliche. The winner of this sort of protracted gets to decide the fate of the loser.

Last edited:

mazzoli

First Post
I think this sounds like a good time if you'll have me. I'll take a closer look at the rules and get back to you. What I've seen so far of the rules seems to lend itself to silliness. Are you planning on running a humorous game?

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Somewhere between light-hearted and humorous. Not necessarily a comedy, but definitely not an "Oh my goodness! It's all dark and gloomy!"

mazzoli

First Post
Thanks, gives me some direction for character creation. I won't go too overboard since you're not looking for flat out comedy.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Thanks, gives me some direction for character creation. I won't go too overboard since you're not looking for flat out comedy.

Cool. I'm leaning toward starting as soon as characters are done. Once a full group is assembled, we can worry about the Main Plot.

mazzoli

First Post
Okay, I have a character concept finished. I'm going to get a picture whipped up soon to give me the final die.

Marcus
Swashbuckler (4)/Masked Bandit (3)/Dispossessed Lordling (2)/Beat Poet (2)/Alcoholic (2)[sblock=Hook]Marcus is cripplingly unsure of himself. Any time his ability is called into question he breaks down and requires a moment to compose himself. This stems from his father's rejection of him as his heir.[/sblock]
[sblock=Tale]"You do nothing right" is the cry,
The last words from my father.
He pushes me across the threshold
And I land on my face in the dirt.
The door is shut before I can stand.
My father's title is lost to me forever,
His lands and riches out of my reach.

How different it is seeing the land from the bottom!
The plight of the peasants,
So easy to ignore from the patriarch's privileged position,
Is calling to my ruptured soul.
Seeking atonement for the sins of my father,
I don the black mask and saddle of the bandit
To give back to the oppressed.

I am of course found by him who cast me out.
He takes pity and puts me on a ship across the water.
My vessel is attacked on the high seas,
Beset by pirates I must surrender myself.
They take me under their wing
Teaching me the art of swordplay
And the joys of liquor.

Fin.

Marcus steps down from the stage with a blank expression on his face, taking exquisite care to maintain that look of casual indifference as he passes by the table where the patchouli-scented bohemian chicks are sitting.[/sblock]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
[MENTION=6687941]mazzoli[/MENTION]: I'm thinking of starting the game with you running solo for a bit while others join. Sound good?

Mlwells

First Post
Francis Locke AKA Alexander West AKA Mr. Jumpy AKA Chell AKA Behemoth AKA The Runaway AKA Roofhopper AKA Marcus AKA Samantha Thames....You know what let's just call him Aka ('ey-kuh)

Aperature Scientist 5/ Con Man 4/ Forger 2/ Freerunner 2

[sblock="Hook"]
Aka is kind of screwed up. Beyond several irrational fears, he is extraordinarily easily distracted by pretty things, be it a woman or art. And once he is distracted, all bets are off on what stupid, bone-headed, ludicrous things he will do.
[/sblock]

[sblock="Tale"]
Please allow me to regal you with a story of a certain man. I can't promise you will get anything out of it, but it may still be worth a listen.

At a young age a boy realized he liked making stuff and inventing newer and better technologies, but...well, this was incidental in comparison to finding out that he loved women, like, a lot. He did not discriminate based on age, race, or really anything else. This would likely prove to be his downfall.

A little later he found himself educated (an extracurricular lesson proved professors are kinky). With education under his belt and a pretty redhead in his sights, the young man came to have a job as a scientist at a one Aperature Science. This did not end well...at all. The career taught him many things, like the importance of running, hiding, and quick problem solving (as well as leaving cryptic and very elaborate murals).

After his flight from a psychotic ex (as I said, he didn't discriminate), the young man took his passion for, well passion, and new found art skills and turned to a life of crime. Notoriety and infamy followed soon after as he amassed a fortune from stolen and forged antiquities that he lied and cheated his way into.

His inventive mind even gave amazing insight one night as he was fleeing across some rooftops from a particularly angry spouse. If he could learn to do tricks as he ran away, he could impress potential suitors and maybe even getting a new voluptuous escape route.

"And that's what I am doing here good sir in your lovely daughter's room. Now, if you will excuse me, my eyes have adjusted to the light of this room and i notice that that wall there is not pale blue but is in fact white. Also this is no place for an untitled work of Falin's. Buh-bye now!"
[/sblock]

[sblock="cliches"]
Aperature Scientist (Testing!, Using highly advanced things for nonnormal activities, lunatic, irrational fear of potatoes and/or cake)
Con Man (Seducing, smooth talking, lying, making a run for it)
Forger (Painting, sculpting, molding, carving, identifying fakes, passion for art)
Free-Runner (Running, wall climbing, flipping, all around ninja-ing)
[/sblock]

[sblock="Portrait"]
Placeholder as I draw it
[/sblock]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Well, played, Mlwells. I'm out of town right now without Internet access except at breakfast since hotel wants to charge me $10 a day but the pancake house has free wi-fi. I'll look everything over in more detail Saturday, and start the game that evening or Sunday.

Remove ads