• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robotic Sentry MG

Pbartender

First Post
Aussiegamer said:
We are getting into "word" meaning. I would like to discuss the data I have put as I want feed back on that.

That was not entirely clear from your initial post, nor from the replies afterward.

I thereby entirely mistook the purpose of this thread.

My apologies, if I caused any consternation.

Please continue and never mind me... :D

Aussiegamer

First Post
Sure :)

It seemed to snow ball. It is hard sometimes to convay what you are after or asking in a simple text message.

Having a basic trap idea is useful, but it would have to be set off by some manaul trigger. As with science gear there has to be a base microprocessor that determines the INT of that "trap".

In the end your feedback did help me define what I am doing with this and tell all the differecne between this NPC and a trap.

In the end I see that its not really equipment but a NPC, one of the issues with defining robotic equipment. Having some independence pretty much for me makes them a NPC.

TheNovaLord

First Post
Hi

Just to chip in.

If i were a soldier in forts guarding by a fairly efficient killing machnine like thi sentry gun i bit a bit wary of something with an INT of 3. Id be much happier if it had INT 0 (and i guess for all intents and purposes a Trap)? Making something sentient without the ability to reason sounds scarey

we play out homewritten d20 sci fi quite a bit (and love the sentry guns from aliens so use them a bit). they are basically a 'trap' with a sensor/scanner

JohnD

Aussiegamer

First Post
If it is to operate independently then it seem to me to require some INT, or it will just follow the parameters as set. Which is available as well.

There is a difference between sentient and aware to being able to independently act, IHMO.

Its like the new fuzzy logic washing machines we have now, they can work independantly but act always within their set parameters. It will adapt as required but stay within the guidelines, where as a trap will just be a trap.

Robots are NPCs, just treated different from normal players until high PL, in Nexus.

(I need to write that bit in, sweet learning stuff still :D )

Again setting them as just a trap, removes the aspect of the varaitions between the different equipments and also makes them dumb.

A MG set up to fire at anything approaching down this passage, using a sensor box or such, is diffeent to having it able to pick the difference between say a cow and a human or even two different humans etc.

Q: If this was able to move, then does it stop being a trap? As a vehicle can move and so can most other robots are they traps or NPCs.

And even if it is a trap, its does not matter only the final data does. In Nexus the CR will vary with the damage and TH as per the rules I have developed as well.

So to just call it a trap is a misnomer (sp!) as its still equipment that can be used for multiple tasks.

Last edited:

Remove ads