• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robotic Sentry MG

Aussiegamer

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
What was the point of the first post?

To get feed back, which I am :)

Could you post it in a normal D20 stat block format? And what is the CR on that thing?

Like all CR ratings for most scifi games it varies, with the amount of firepower a PC group has.

I am developing my system, so I presenting it as I have it right now, so you can comment on it and I can fix things up.

Why does it have DR 8 in one area and DR 12 in another? How many Hit Dice does it have? (I'm guessing 3.) With a Dex of 0, how can it expect to hit anything in ranged combat? How can it have a Charisma score of 0? Any creature with Wisdom above 0 also has to have a Charisma score above 0.

Its a robot not a person, thus it can have a charisma score of zero, its not really alive. If it does not interact with living then no charisma is required. Thats like saying your PC has a charisma score, I know some think they do LOL! :)

But yes a robot can also be enhanced with charisma for that personal touch as well, ;)

But this is just a guard, that is told by the user to shoot anything coming from x direction. It has an int just more than a animal.

It does not have HD, its not alive its a robot. Robots are vehicles and have, unless fully aware, limited INT. You use programs to make their BAB higher and build it better for greater strength and dex etc to allow them a better final TH.

Please note I have changed the dex, speed and commented about the life support, as pointed out by Roudi earlier.
Robots don't need LS thus I will remove that off the sheet. :D

Nexus has external and internal AC, if the equipment is hit during the combat and is external and not armoured then it does not get the benefit of the armour. It is a bit silly to have an antenna with the same DR or AC rating as if it had armour on it, unless it is made to operate under the armoured skin. I am in the process of adding rules for armouring equipment, or having it retractable when not in use. :)

Aussiegamer

First Post
Roger said:
Also note that this machine has a life support rating, so it sounds a bit more like an immobile Dalek than anything. Which I fully endorse.

Cheers,
Roger
I have to remove LS from robots, I don't know why I left it in there, they don't need it.

Cheers

Roudi

First Post
Aussiegamer said:
Nexus has external and internal AC
Uhm... okay?

Aussiegamer said:
if the equipment is hit during the combat and is external and not armoured then it does not get the benefit of the armour.
"If something is not armoured, then it does not benefit from armour" is kind of an obvious statement. Like saying "a creature that cannot walk does not benefit from walking."
d20 already has a system to account for unarmoured sections of a person or object: touch AC. While no d20 system explicitly states that sections of a creature or object should use touch AC if they aren't armoured... well, anything not explicitedly stated by the Rules As Written is entirely up to the GM to decide.

Aussiegamer

First Post
Said that wrong, armoured or unarmoured external equipment.

This came from the sundering rules that exist in d20M now. Which I don't want to retrace them steps again.

So yes I did state the obvious but I suppose it did need stating. As the question was to the difference of the two AC's.

Touch:
Unsure what the rules state in d20M but for D&D3.5, there is a big difference between a touch attack and a normal attack. A touch attack ignores the armour, not bypasses or misses. Armour for d20M is considered to be all over? It is considered for D&D thats for sure.

Normally its a magical attack or astral or such.

If d20M follows D&D standards, as it does for most 3.5 rules, then the above is considered correct, not touch missing the armour.

There is no weapon, except one type of enhancement (the name escapes me right now), that ignores armour AC but not the enhancement AC. Still not touch.

And unarmoured creatures have no armour AC, thus no difference between touch and main AC.

Still this is off topic, but enjoying the chat. It is helping me refine the game.

As Nexus also has multipoint on the creature's body, and you need to state if that section is armoured.

I am going to be adapting that rule for vehicles as well, but right now the armoured/ non armoured rule covers it. The GM will need right now to decide whats armoured and whats not, but I will be including if it starts unarmoured or not.

As per normal
1 person + lots to still add = I'll be getting around to it.
It is still in development but is playable. I know because I do.

Last edited:

Aussiegamer

First Post
Thinking about the CR for the gun, well its equipment thus it does not have one. It can I suppose be assigned one but the concept of assigning CR based on the equipment seems off.

I don't think mechs should be CR rated either, the GM has to see what the players have and adjust his sides equipment to suit the players.

Modern + games have a real problem with wealth per level as D&D has, as there is no way to get a space craft or such at lower, even upper, levels.

Pbartender

First Post
Aussiegamer said:
It is a vehicle, being a robotic device, and thus requires similar stats etc.

In the end it brakes down to be quite small amount of info required.

Such as Vehicle stuff (HP and AC), Shield (HP and AC), Weapon stuff (TH, damage and range etc) Nothing more than what's normal for most games.

Aussiegamer said:
The equipment like this is pretty much a NPC, as its a robot. Thus the requirement for extra info. As any robot needs for most games that I have seen.

So, taking a more serious look at the thread, I'm wondering why you made this so much more complicated than it needs to be?

At it's most basic, you've got an automated gun that tried to shoot unautorized personnel, right? Do you know what that is?

ItsATrap.jpg

;) :p

Anyway... Try this:

Sentry Gun
CR #; mechanical; proximity trigger; automatic reset; Atk +4 ranged (4d6, machine gun); Search DC ##; Disable Device DC ##; AC 12; Hardness 12; hp 45.

or

Automatic Sentry Gun
CR #; mechanical; proximity trigger; automatic reset; Atk +4 ranged (4d6, machine gun); multiple targets (#d# bullets per target in a 10 ft.-by-10-ft. area); Search DC ##; Disable Device DC ##; AC 12; Hardness 12; hp 45.

Adjust the stats as necessary.

Aussiegamer said:
Thinking about the CR for the gun, well its equipment thus it does not have one. It can I suppose be assigned one but the concept of assigning CR based on the equipment seems off.

Traps have CR ratings. A stationary gun seems like a trap for me. If it isn't hidden, that just means it's more enjoyable. Can the Smart Hero live long enough to Disable Device the gun? Heh heh heh.

Modern + games have a real problem with wealth per level as D&D has, as there is no way to get a space craft or such at lower, even upper, levels.

You never played with my old group (obviously). We bought two spacecraft - and the smaller one did more damage *rolleyes* and two ube-robots and some other cheese I no longer recall.

I'd make the damage the same as an automatic rifle or light to medium machine gun (2d8 to 2d10) but otherwise I like Pbartender's stats. (Oh yeah, and get rid of the Search DC, following the Design & Development advice.)

Pbartender

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
(Oh yeah, and get rid of the Search DC, following the Design & Development advice.)

I was thinking... Change the Search DC to a Spot DC, and keep it fairly easy... DC 14 or thereabouts. You'll want it for determining surprise... Do the PCs notice the sentry gun, before it notices them?

Pbartender said:
I was thinking... Change the Search DC to a Spot DC, and keep it fairly easy... DC 14 or thereabouts. You'll want it for determining surprise... Do the PCs notice the sentry gun, before it notices them?

You make a good point :) Of course, if it isn't hidden, it can still try to beat their Init. (Unlikely with a low Dex, but possible.)

Remove ads