• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robotic Sentry MG

Pbartender

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
You make a good point :) Of course, if it isn't hidden, it can still try to beat their Init. (Unlikely with a low Dex, but possible.)

Statted as a trap, it doesn't have initiative... It just triggers on a particular circumstance. Namely, the circumstance of a character entering or standing (beginning his turn) within the gun's field of fire.

Aussiegamer

First Post
Pbartender said:
So, taking a more serious look at the thread, I'm wondering why you made this so much more complicated than it needs to be?

At it's most basic, you've got an automated gun that tried to shoot unautorized personnel, right? Do you know what that is?

;) :p

Anyway... Try this:

Sentry Gun
CR #; mechanical; proximity trigger; automatic reset; Atk +4 ranged (4d6, machine gun); Search DC ##; Disable Device DC ##; AC 12; Hardness 12; hp 45.

or

Automatic Sentry Gun
CR #; mechanical; proximity trigger; automatic reset; Atk +4 ranged (4d6, machine gun); multiple targets (#d# bullets per target in a 10 ft.-by-10-ft. area); Search DC ##; Disable Device DC ##; AC 12; Hardness 12; hp 45.

Adjust the stats as necessary.

Whats the awareness or detection of sneaking persons, I include that so there is more interaction that just a dumb trip wire trap.

How to do you set the TH or the AC? I am building a system that allows you to design it from scratch, not guess.

If you actually look at the data its pretty much the same, I just have it in the excel sheet format, if I had some time to write it out, other than the differing AC it ends up being the same.

What you are seeing is the building of a device from scratch using a set of guidlines, whereas on the whole there are NONE for most systems, you just guess.

Its not a trap, its a robotic gun. The players can have this as well to defend a passage or such. Think Aliens the movie.

Aussiegamer

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Traps have CR ratings. A stationary gun seems like a trap for me. If it isn't hidden, that just means it's more enjoyable. Can the Smart Hero live long enough to Disable Device the gun? Heh heh heh.

Why just a smart hero? Oh you are just thinking d20M, well this is not for d20M its for my system.

Yes it can. And I would have to use the average damage like most traps for that figure, actually that would be the easy why to do it. Use the TH and damage as the base and then BOOM you have the CR.

You never played with my old group (obviously). We bought two spacecraft - and the smaller one did more damage *rolleyes* and two ube-robots and some other cheese I no longer recall.

Which actually is my point, you can not have a wealth by level system for modern + time framed games. You ould never afford the super battle star or such.

I'd make the damage the same as an automatic rifle or light to medium machine gun (2d8 to 2d10) but otherwise I like Pbartender's stats. (Oh yeah, and get rid of the Search DC, following the Design & Development advice.)

This is NOT a trap, its a piece of equipment.

You can make your damage what you want, as the Nexus system helps you build the device which also then costs it etc.

Last edited:

Aussiegamer

First Post
The system is Nexus not d20M. OK you don't need to fully understand it but reading the data and commenting is appreaciated (sp?).

Last edited:

Aussiegamer

First Post
I think this makes it easier for you to see how easy it is to read

Automatic Sentry Gun (Nexus)

Weapon
Twin barrelled Machine guns
Damage: (4d6+12) x2
TH: +4
Range; 82m

Armour
AC:
Armoured: 14, unarmoured: 10
Touch: 10
Flat footed:
Armoured: 12, unarmoured: 10
Damage reduction: Armoured: 20, Unarmoured: 12

Hit points

Skills
Awareness: +10, Use Sensors: +10

Sensor package
Mark VII

GM note:
Robotic Sentry is able to act independently once set up. It has INT score of 3.

Improved Shielded Version

Type: Buffering flickering
Flicker Rate: 8

Shield HP: 124
AC: 11

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Aussiegamer said:
Whats the awareness or detection of sneaking persons, I include that so there is more interaction that just a dumb trip wire trap.

Easy enough to add in... Spot +7 (or whatever)... Require a Hide DC of 17. Of course, the whole point of a dumb trip wire trap, is that it is a lot more reliable than anything that has to "look" for a target.

Aussiegamer said:
How to do you set the TH

BAB == CR. Should give you attack bonuses roughly equivalent to a fighter, which is appropriate for military hardware designed to hit its target.

Aussiegamer said:
or the AC?

Like most all traps, it's stationary... AC == 10 + size modifier... I was estimating size tiny for a machine gun on an motorized tripod turret.

Aussiegamer said:
I am building a system that allows you to design it from scratch, not guess.

I wasn't guessing, I was using simple rules of thumb gleaned from other parts of the ruleset.

Aussiegamer said:
If you actually look at the data its pretty much the same, I just have it in the excel sheet format, if I had some time to write it out, other than the differing AC it ends up being the same.

That's primarily because I was pulling numbers off your chart to give you an equivalent trap.

Aussiegamer said:
What you are seeing is the building of a device from scratch using a set of guidlines, whereas on the whole there are NONE for most systems, you just guess.

Guessing, of course, is usually quicker, easier, simpler, and works just as well... if you're good at it. ;)

But, I think this is where we had our misunderstanding... I, for one, was unaware that you were trying to spread word about a new tool for GMs. I thought you were asking for help creating stats for a Robotic Sentry Gun.

Aussiegamer said:
Its not a trap, its a robotic gun. The players can have this as well to defend a passage or such. Think Aliens the movie.

Yep... I know what you're talking about. But I still don't understand why a robotic gun can't be a trap, if that makes it easier for the GM to prepare the stat block.

Just because it's a very advanced, complicated trap, doesn't make it any less of a trap.

Aussiegamer said:
This is NOT a trap, its a piece of equipment.

A trap is a piece of equipment.

Aussiegamer

First Post
Trap? then so is a robotic tank or a robotic character. Just because its stationary does not make it just a trap.

Equipment can be used as a trap, but the idea of trap is that you can not use it for anything else IMHO.

A trap is dumb set, this could be programmed for IFF. (Goes to add that, I have not thought of that hum.....). Or just its parameters set for only attak x or y. Yes magical traps have that ability but this is not magical.

Its a piece of kit that can be used for static defence, and not just hideen and requires a search check to find or such. I would be using it set up in the passage way, and pretty easy to see.

By designating it as a trap you remove the ability for it to be used in other ways by the NPCs or even PCs.

It does not work just as good, you are giving it no ability to be more than what you say it is for that trap. It has INT of 3, and can be higher, thus it can be used later on as a guard for allowing access or not as well. The dumb settings used for a trap are just that dumb.

Aussiegamer

First Post
Pbartender said:
A trap is a piece of equipment.

Yes true but a piece of equipment is not neccessarily a trap.

We are getting into "word" meaning. I would like to discuss the data I have put as I want feed back on that.

This is simliar to building a vehicle is feel not a trap in feel.

I find it interesting that some are treated different to others on this site.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=173962

he puts up gear and the comments are towards the ideas and not just pulling the ideas down and not really commenting on the data.

This robotic gun is designed as a peice of equipment that can be used in the game, designing a trap if different. It just that a trap.

I have had some good feedback, and I have been able to see whats wrong with parts and have been fixing them, and thats what I am after, feedback good or bad (with a reason please for both)

Last edited:

Aussiegamer

First Post
Pbartender said:
Statted as a trap, it doesn't have initiative... It just triggers on a particular circumstance. Namely, the circumstance of a character entering or standing (beginning his turn) within the gun's field of fire.

This points out the difference between this robotic gun and a trap.

This WILL have a full set of combat figures, like initiative. It has INT and its is not a dumb trap.

Remove ads