• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

roleplaying people are satanists ;)

Merkuri

Explorer
I play an online game of D&D every Wednesday at 8. This doesn't influence my work normally, but a couple times our department (tech support, it's only about five people) has been invited out to dinner by customers on a Wednesday night and I've had to decline, saying I have "a prior engagement." I found myself not wanting to admit that I play D&D for fear of these types of reactions. After bowing out of a few Wednesday night events my boss asked what I do on Wednesdays out of curiosity. When I told him, he seemed more amused about it than anything. He knew nothing about it besides the stereotypes of socially inept geeks sitting in somebody's dark cellar playing it, and he's asked me a few times about how it's played. Earlier this week he asked if we play "against each other" and I had to explain that usually D&D is a cooperative game where it's "us against the world" rather than "me against you". He seems to think I'm embarrased about my hobby and doesn't ask about it when other people are around. He refers to what I do on Wednesdays as "my thing." I guess in a way I am embarrassed, but not because I think it's something to be ashamed of. I'm just so conscious of the stereotypes that I find myself a little leery of telling someone I play D&D.

Merkuri

Explorer
Marchen said:
When folded it looked like an authentic $100, but when it was opened the opposite side had a religious tract on it. "There are some things more important than money..."

I actually found something like this (I think it was a $20) as a kid on a family vacation waiting in line for something. My sister and I were so excited, and it actually took us 10 or 15 minutes to finally open it up and realize it wasn't a real $20. We still thought it was cool when we found out (we didn't care what it said on the inside) and wanted to keep it, but my parents convinced us to leave it behind "so other people can enjoy it."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rel said:
That's Ms. Frost. Her marital status is indeterminate.
All part of her evil! Undermining traditional marital expectations at the same time as she unleashes the forces of evil in the form of lead figures for people to swallow!

Last edited:

tvknight415

Explorer
hexgrid said:
Ah, but Tolkien, at least, was Catholic. And you can be sure that Jack Chick considers Catholicism just as satanic as D&D.

Chick has about as much of a clue about what Catholicism teaches as he has about what goes on during D&D games.

Maybe there's a connection there between what he's ignorant about, and what he calls Satanic.

Of course, ignorance is... well... just ignorance.

Rabelais

First Post
It's the homebrew crap that really blows up the game... Marcie didn't even get a saving throw! Darkleaf was just Optimized for pete's sake! It's not lilke she was a powergamer.

If Marcie hadn't killed herself I'm sure that she could have found a seat at a table with a quality DM.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Yeeeah, these ARE gamers we're talking about. I bet there are people wearing Members Only jackets as they read this thread. :p

Hey! My dad's not a gamer, and HE still wears his Members Only jacket. . .

Dragonbait

Explorer
Clearly this is made from someone completely ignorant in the ways of gaming, let alone D&D. The problem: there are girls at that game. That's just plain silly.

Mycanid

First Post
:( Sigh ... I am SO, SO, SO, SO tired of these threads coming up talking about or even making reference to this comics strain.

I didn't like them back in the 80's when I first stumbled across them by accident as a kid and was an agnostic and I like them even less now that I am a Christian.

I know they mean well ... but they simply have not idea what they are talking about. And this is from someone who has been on both sides of the fence.

As Animus pointed out: "And I have to add, tracks like those are ironic because they condemn the game that was inspired by the genre which was popularized in no small part by Christians (J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis)."

I agree with Harmon ... I wish that we could just ignore this nonsense and make it go away quicker....

Hah! And after I posted in here, thus "keeping it alive" too! Ah well. Once a fool always a fool, eh? :D

Remove ads