• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

roleplaying people are satanists ;)

DJCupboard

Explorer
Slippery slopes like that are actually kind of fun to read. Of course we should all be wary of people like Ms. Frost and seek help if we get involved with them and don't know how to safely disascociate ourselves, so on the surface the is article offers sound advice, but the idea that this type of scenario is the default experience for DnD, rather than one unlucky girl falling in with an extremist is laughable. I also think that Mr. Chick's argument is undercut by the idea that Ms. Frost's magic actually works in the context of the strip's world. Not only was poor Debbie duped into a dangerous relationship with a religious extremist who holds a very negative opinion of individual worth but what should have been shyster "magic" she sold to entice followers actually had an actual real world affect. This should have the fringe effect of pushing some disturbed youths like Ms. Frost, who might not really have known about DnD or satanism with evil spells into the occult trap that he is trying to warn against.

So not only is this bigotted, short sited, and foolish; it also works at counter-purpose to his cause and could do more harm then good. Especially when you consider that the other pole of extremists could be incited to violence against the percieved satanists in the name of purifying the world.

I wrote an article about this in the January 2004 Issue of the Silven Trumpeter (page 21). You can download it for free here. Hover over the cover pictures on the right to find the right issue.

Marchen

First Post
The adventure they have! Fighting THE Zombie! I can't wait for my DM to give me THE REAL POWER. Too bad my clerics all die before 8th level. Well, there's always Scientology...

Speaking of religious tracts: I work as a barista, and one day after work I spotted a $100 bill in my tip jar! Obviously it seemed to good to be true, and it was. When folded it looked like an authentic $100, but when it was opened the opposite side had a religious tract on it. "There are some things more important than money..."

What garbage. If you aren't going to tip me, don't leave propoganda instead.

hexgrid

Explorer
Animus said:
And I have to add, tracks like those are ironic because they condemn the game that was inspired by the genre which was popularized in no small part by Christians (J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis)

Ah, but Tolkien, at least, was Catholic. And you can be sure that Jack Chick considers Catholicism just as satanic as D&D.

diaglo said:
meet me in the steam tunnels beneath MSU.

Hehehe . . . we really used to play by candlelight in the 19th century dirt subbasement behind a secret door in one of the buildings in our college (Williams).

As an alumni, I discovered they plastered over the entrance, so the administration must have figured it out eventually. :eek:

Ghendar

First Post
Marchen said:
The adventure they have! Fighting THE Zombie! I can't wait for my DM to give me THE REAL POWER.

LOL! Not sure why but I found that quite amusing. ooooh killer zombie, oooooooh booga-booga :D

Pbartender said:
Every time I read Dark Dungeons, I can't help but think...

$200.00 doesn't buy nearly as many new D&D figures and manuals as it used to.

:\

It does actually, if you account for inflation. D&D books have dramatically dropped in price per page count, in addition to more full color art (which I'd say is also of better quality).

Remove ads