ROME - HBO series..our favorite series

Grog

First Post
BadMojo said:
Maybe Rome was more expensive since it was shot mostly, AFAIK, in Italy?
Yeah, with the dollar so weak these days, shooting in Europe would be very expensive for an American company.

Pants

First Post
BadMojo said:
Is that still going on? I thought it ended a few weeks ago.

Also, is that season 1 of Deadwood and season 1 of Rome? I was hoping to find season 2 of Rome for cheap, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.
It's EVERY first season box of HBO's shows (The Wire, Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome, Entourage). It MIGHT have been only a day before Christmas deal, but I'm not sure. Still worthwhile to check out.

I picked up Deadwood for myself since I already had Rome. :)

Rome Season 2 will probably go on sale at some point, Best Buy usually has sporadic sales on that kind of stuff.

sniffles

First Post
We just finished watching the entire series a couple of weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. Great historical drama, with tremendous quality performances and a wonderful script.

And from now on if I'm ever trying to think of how to run a paladin in D&D, I'm thinking of Lucius Vorenus. :D

Grymar

Explorer
Lucius Vorenus probably wasn't a paladin type, but he was the strongest LN character I've ever seen. You give him an order and he does it, no matter what.

BadMojo

First Post
Grymar said:
Lucius Vorenus probably wasn't a paladin type, but he was the strongest LN character I've ever seen. You give him an order and he does it, no matter what.

Yeah, I think his temper was too bad for him to stay LG for very long. It would last an episode or two and then he'd stab someone in the throat for looking at him the wrong way.

I always thought of Lucius Vorenus as a Paladin-type character, and Titus Pollo as a Chaotic Good Barbarian. (Marc Anthony was probably a true neutral character.)

But there are a few caveats - "Good" only in the sense of what the roman society would consider "good", because some actions of neither Lucius nor Titus weren't good in our contemporary sense of the word. If we'd use the normal D&D/real world standards, both are probably more neutral with (strong) tendencies to good.

then he'd stab someone in the throat for looking at him the wrong way.
Think of it as a reversed detect evil - Instead of looking at someone and see his wrong ways, the target looks at him and is thus identified as evil and worthy of an smite evil. :)

sniffles

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
But there are a few caveats - "Good" only in the sense of what the roman society would consider "good", because some actions of neither Lucius nor Titus weren't good in our contemporary sense of the word. If we'd use the normal D&D/real world standards, both are probably more neutral with (strong) tendencies to good.
Precisely! Vorenus was Lawful Good by the standards of his culture. He showed loyalty and piety, and did the things that a good Roman citizen was expected to do. Romans didn't have all the legal prohibitions against murder or theft that modern Western societies have.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
sniffles said:
Precisely! Vorenus was Lawful Good by the standards of his culture.

Naw. Lawful, sure. But even he knew he was not good by any standard, a lot of the time.

Remove ads