• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules/Crunch of Eyros

Abisashi

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I always thought it was a single physical entity (i.e. Taufenacht himself) trapped within the stones and thus only able to send out mental insinuations. The mental voice is known as "The Twelve" but it is really just a mouthpiece for the trapped Taufenacht. Perhaps the pillars were raised as part of an effort to trap him.

I was thinking it was a means by which he could communicate with the prime material plane. I had thought about it being a trap, but it seemed better as a communication means for him (perhaps the only reliable one, as the cerebrum ruby is chillin' with some illithids, whereas this one has Alsixnivis guarding it.) I actually posted on this subject in the main thread:

Abisashi said:
The Five Heroes destroyed most of Taufenacht's access points to the world, but they missed one in the far north, where Taufenacht's Silver-White hybrid, Alsixnivis, was taking his first flights. Taufenacht can now only influence the world through a few points - the cerebrum ruby, the Twelve, and perhaps a few other places. Now he is just biding his time, for few if any people who are not his his ally, servant, or thrall know that he still lives and has access to the world.

..And I just realized I messed up in the other thread; off to change that.

Abisashi

First Post
Abisashi said:
..And I just realized I messed up in the other thread; off to change that.

Conversation with self:
Hmm, people are reffering to Alsixnivis as a silver-white hybrid in the main thread, even though we've only referred to him as such in the rules thread. I should post to fix that.
Five minutes later: [quote my own post from the main thread to demonstrate something] Hmmmmm... this thread mentioned that Alsixnivis is a silver-white hybrid? Wait a second, didn't I just contribute that? Oops.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Abisashi said:
Conversation with self:
Hmm, people are reffering to Alsixnivis as a silver-white hybrid in the main thread, even though we've only referred to him as such in the rules thread. I should post to fix that.
Five minutes later: [quote my own post from the main thread to demonstrate something] Hmmmmm... this thread mentioned that Alsixnivis is a silver-white hybrid? Wait a second, didn't I just contribute that? Oops.
^^ No worries. We still love you Abi!

Sarellion

Explorer
I had already seen that he was a silver/white one and included it.

Not sure if I have seen it here or on the main thread.

We should stat some half-orc or goblin raiders. These are probably the first opponents a group would meet.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I was thinking it was a means by which he could communicate with the prime material plane. I had thought about it being a trap, but it seemed better as a communication means for him (perhaps the only reliable one, as the cerebrum ruby is chillin' with some illithids, whereas this one has Alsixnivis guarding it.) I actually posted on this subject in the main thread:

This works also. Either way, Tau would want it guarded by one of his own agents. It can also be both. The physical site where he was trapped could also be the means that allows him to communicate with the strongest psychic suggestions.

Rystil Arden

First Post
PH Wizard Spell names in Eyros (Cleric spells would clearly vary across faith, so the Crucible might call Flamestrike "Hand of the Flame of Judgment" and the Messenger-DLers might call it "Xarkavan's Breath"):

0th-level:

Alivia's Playful Hand (Mage Hand)
Alivia's Quick Repair (Mending)

1st-level:

Alivia's Floating Disk (Tenser's Floating Disk)
Lysia's Magic Aura (Nystul's Magic Aura)
Icy Grasp of Thanatos (Chill Touch)

2nd-level:

Kira's Caustic Arrow (Melf's Acid Arrow)
Valjin's Contagious Mirth (Tasha's Hideous Laughter)
Alivia's Extraplanar Haven (Rope Trick)
Lysia's Imaginary Trap (Leomund's Trap)
Valjin's Ghostly Hand (Spectral Hand)

3rd-level:

Spellshatter (Dispel Magic)
Sania's Serpent Sigil (Sepia Snake Sigil)
Lysia's Tiny Hideaway (Leomund's Tiny Hut)

4th-level:

Jal-gwuin's Eye (Arcane Eye)
Valjin's Black Tentacles (Evard's Black Tentacles)
Lysia's Secure Shelter (Leomund's Secure Shelter)
Mulcibia's Minor Creation (Minor Creation)
Thanatos's Resilient Sphere (Otiluke's Resilient Sphere)
Kalis's Mnemonic Enhancer (Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer)
Herewald's Requirement (Geas, Lesser)

5th-level:

Mulcibia's Majour Creation (Majour Creation)
Lysia's Private Sanctum (Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum)
Lysia's Hidden Chest (Leomund's Secret Chest)
Alivia's Faithful Puppy (Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound)
Jal-gwuin's Telepathic Bond (Rary's Telepathic Bond)
Orgar's Interposing Hand (Bigby's Interposing Hand)

6th-level:

Orgar's Forceful Hand (Bigby's Forceful Hand)
Thanatos's Freezing Sphere (Otiluke's Freezing Sphere)
Alivia's Rapid Rememberiser (Mordenkainen's Lucubration)
Kaillo's Transformation (Tenser's Transformation)
Spellshatter, Greater (Dispel Magic, Greater)
Valjin's Exaction (Geas/Quest)

7th-level:

Valjin's Instant Summons (Drawmij's Instant Summons)
Alivia's Alabaster Abode (Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion)
Jalgwuin's Sight (Arcane Sight, Greater)

8th-level:

Alivia's Alluring Dance (Otto's Irresistible Dance)
Orgar's Clenched Fist (Bigby's Clenched Fist)
Thanatos's Telekinetic Sphere (Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere)

9th-level:

Valjin's Supreme Spellshatter (Mordenkainen's Disjunction)
Orgar's Crushing Hand (Bigby's Crushing Hand)
Thanatos's Soul Binding (Soul Bind)

Last edited:

domino

First Post
The Summon Spells should probably be changed a bit, to reflect the different animal breakdown. Dinosaurs being as common as horses, etc..

Abisashi

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Icy Grasp of Thanatos (Chill Touch)
Kalis's Mnemonic Enhancer (Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer)

In Magical History 201, who do students learn Thanatos is? The first Praes Thanatos, perhaps? Actually, it'd be rather amusing if, after pretending to die and then taking over the next leader of the gnomish necromancers, Thanatos named the position at the head of his order in honor of himself :p

Kalis seems a not-unreasonable creator for a spell, given his scholarly and inquisitive nature, and this spell seems appropriate because it seems like a spell that would take a lot of knowledge of magic theory to create (thus requiring that it be more recent than most spells.) When spells were created is actually pretty important thematically, I think.

Our spell names have a very important implication. Lots of spells being named after still-living people means that magic is a vibrant and advancing art; lots of spells named after long-dead mages means that it is relatively stagnant (as it seems to be in most D&D settings.)

Oh, and the NPC guide you made is invaluable, as I had to look up several of those names. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Oh, and the NPC guide you made is invaluable, as I had to look up several of those names. Thanks!

No problemo. Thanks for the praise; I'm just glad people are using it! In fact, it is the fact that I made that NPC guide that allowed me to know who all those folks are!

That said, I completely agree with you about all the implications. Also, some of the spells (Mulcibia's spells) are named in honour of a non-spellcaster by a recent creator from Pillar Mulcibe.

Some interesting implications in our vibrant developing art of magic: For thousands of years, people thought that they needed to wait for 11th level to get a Geas effect (Valjin's Exaction), until recently Herewald developed a weaker form that you can cast sooner (Herewald's Requirement). And the niche spell Tenser's Transformation was developed by the somewhat-unstable Mask Kaillo, to mirror his own transformation into a dangerous opponent of the state.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads