• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules/Crunch of Eyros

Abisashi

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
No problemo. Thanks for the praise; I'm just glad people are using it! In fact, it is the fact that I made that NPC guide that allowed me to know who all those folks are!

That said, I completely agree with you about all the implications. Also, some of the spells (Mulcibia's spells) are named in honour of a non-spellcaster by a recent creator from Pillar Mulcibe.

Some interesting implications in our vibrant developing art of magic: For thousands of years, people thought that they needed to wait for 11th level to get a Geas effect (Valjin's Exaction), until recently Herewald developed a weaker form that you can cast sooner (Herewald's Requirement). And the niche spell Tenser's Transformation was developed by the somewhat-unstable Mask Kaillo, to mirror his own transformation into a dangerous opponent of the state.

If I'm drawing a blank on my next contribution, I'll use these implications (and perhaps expand a little). I think talking about how the magic fits into the setting is pretty interesting and important.

Hmm, I still haven't put up my stats for Alsixnivis, but I have 3 midterms this week, so that might not happen till next friday. Fortunately, I'm not under a deadline (yet :p ).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Abisashi said:
If I'm drawing a blank on my next contribution, I'll use these implications (and perhaps expand a little). I think talking about how the magic fits into the setting is pretty interesting and important.

Hmm, I still haven't put up my stats for Alsixnivis, but I have 3 midterms this week, so that might not happen till next friday. Fortunately, I'm not under a deadline (yet :p ).
Ah, midterms. Fun! I had four this last week. And a midterm paper due last week and another this Thursday "Celtic Mythology: A Glimpse Into the Past" (so I was kinda in a mythology stage both in class and on the boards, if people noticed).

Sarellion

Explorer
I just wonder if the gnomes would keep Valjins name in the spell names and honor him by this. II would expect that Thanatos the greedy gnome grabbed all the honors for himself.

The title of the leader of the Praes Thanatos is Cucullus Umbra. How does this honor him?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Sarellion said:
I just wonder if the gnomes would keep Valjins name in the spell names and honor him by this. II would expect that Thanatos the greedy gnome grabbed all the honors for himself.

The title of the leader of the Praes Thanatos is Cucullus Umbra. How does this honor him?
He doesn't want it to be suspected that he is still the leader, so he picked a name meaning "Beshadowed Cowl." To honour himself, he named the whole organisation after himself meaning "Thanatos is at Hand". I would figure that Valjin's name was on all those spells for so many years so that even the few humans and other races who did learn wizardry picked it up and started using it, so it was too widespread to erase (plus Valjin is one of the Five Heroes, after all, so he is held in a dubious honour--dubious because the legends say that he betrayed his allies after Taufenacht was defeated). But nothing's set in stone, so we can change things around.

Oh, no idea about the wiki

Abisashi

First Post
oops

Sarellion said:

My bad, I switched the name of the order and the position. Correction: the name of the first Cucullus Umbra was Thanatos; unkown to most people, there has only been one Cucullus Umbra, as he just takes over the next candidates body. The outside world thought the second Cucullus Umbra was named Jack Doe, but it was in fact Thanatos still, and he named the order in honor of himself.

edit: Rystil beat me to it.

Woah, I was just looking through the other thread, and realized that I've never seen most of the posts on page 14. Weird.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Abisashi said:
My bad, I switched the name of the order and the position. Correction: the name of the first Cucullus Umbra was Thanatos; unkown to most people, there has only been one Cucullus Umbra, as he just takes over the next candidates body. The outside world thought the second Cucullus Umbra was named Jack Doe, but it was in fact Thanatos still, and he named the order in honor of himself.

edit: Rystil beat me to it.

Woah, I was just looking through the other thread, and realized that I've never seen most of the posts on page 14. Weird.
Bwahaha, I subscribed to the other thread, so I see them all!

Abisashi

First Post
Rules on Wiki

For rules that belong to one of the fluff categories, the rules should link off of that (Magic, NPCs, Races, etc.)

Generic NPCs and prestige classes should link off of the organizations section.

Remember, with the wiki we can link stuff like crazy, all we have to do is put in anchors to link to.

Sarellion

Explorer
The fluff thread has someone mentioning that people killed by duels have to be raised or even true ressed, limbs have to be restored. How do we want to handle that? If everything is low level and masks are considered to be accomplished sorcerers with level 5, there is only a handful people in Eyros who could raise and they wouldn´t do as there are probably more killed guys than xp available, as you can only give up a duel when incapacitated.

On the other side, if raise and true res is available the assassination of the grand monarch would be unpleasant and a big affair but something permanent

Some ideas?

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Sarellion said:
The fluff thread has someone mentioning that people killed by duels have to be raised or even true ressed, limbs have to be restored. How do we want to handle that? If everything is low level and masks are considered to be accomplished sorcerers with level 5, there is only a handful people in Eyros who could raise and they wouldn´t do as there are probably more killed guys than xp available, as you can only give up a duel when incapacitated.

On the other side, if raise and true res is available the assassination of the grand monarch would be unpleasant and a big affair but something permanent

Some ideas?
hmm...well there's probably only one or two NPCs who can perform True Rez, but I would think Raise Dead wouldn't be too too uncommon...we can say that if the Grand Monarch dies, the Amethyst Crown drains her soul.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads